US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep an eye over in Saudi right now. Sabotage claims of some of their freights

Wonder who they’ll claim responsibility ?

Alas, Biden looks like a steam train right now so barring huge gaffes it looks more and more like everyone is playing for the VP slot, and/or hoping to be in a solid 2nd in case KD gets hurt.

If the polls continue to hold up as they are right now, then:

The women are running for the VP slot.

The men are hoping that he stumbles.

What better way to distract from Trump's legal problems than to start a war with Iran. That whole incident that Iran had something to do with attacking those ships is a joke.

Don’t forget Venezuela!!!!

Also what do people think about all the Dems jumping into the race vs trying to get Senate seats?

I think one lesson learned from Trump is that the POTUS really isn’t where the power is at. It’s a figure head who can definitely influence policy, or go around the law to try and get things done

But ultimately the power is in Congress

https://twitter.com/larrysabato/status/1128252544197832705?s=21

Also what do people think about all the Dems jumping into the race vs trying to get Senate seats?

i think it's dumb, BUT, i think they are all going to pull a Rubio and when they get knocked out of the primary they'll heel turn to the Senate.

What better way to distract from Trump's legal problems than to start a war with Iran. That whole incident that Iran had something to do with attacking those ships is a joke.

Remember this classic tweet:

Donald J. Trump
‏@realDonaldTrump

In order to get elected, @BarackObama will start a war with Iran.

11:48 AM - 29 Nov 2011

So I'm guessing that Beto is finally realizing that it wasn't really "him" that energized the Senate campaign in TX. And that even if it had been a poodle in a top hat with a D next to its name, it probably would have raised 80 million dollars running against Ted Cruz.

Just reported:
Sanders and Warren and chomping at that bit to get an endorsement from AOC. What a fucking joke. Warren seems pretty on point lately and has been rising in the polls a bit, but Sanders seems to be flailing ever since he has gotten sidetracked by Biden. I don't see how an endorsement from her gains either of them any supporters, but i can see it turning some off.

I do like her a lot. She’s more honest and transparent than 99% of politicians

Her lack of experience and understanding on topics like Amazon and including every liberal dream in the GND has hurt her a few times but she’ll figure it out over time.

I agree some voters will be turned off by her endorsement but in the end shouldn’t be a big deal

Only foxnews will treat it as such

Elections (with assistance from foreign governments) have consequences

As a highly sensitive person it’s so heartbreaking to read these stories of what could be coming (and we know it is). Wish our elected officials would do their damn jobs versus fear of public opinion

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/ro...s-conservatives-will-overturn-landmark-cases/

“Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer on Monday issued what’s being called a “warning siren” Monday, strongly suggesting landmark civil rights cases, perhaps Roe v. Wade, or Planned Parenthood v. Casey, or maybe Brown v. Board of Education are increasingly likely to be overturned by the Trump-reshaped far-right SCOTUS.

“Today’s decision can only cause one to wonder which cases the Court will overrule next,” Breyer wrote in a dissent of a case handed down Monday, overturning decades of Supreme Court precedent.”

the toronto maple leafs have a better chance of signing kawhi leonard this summer than the republicans do of suddenly having an "epiphany" and wanting to work towards a "consensus" with democrats.

it's like he's still living in 1999 in his head.

the toronto maple leafs have a better chance of signing kawhi leonard this summer than the republicans do of suddenly having an "epiphany" and wanting to work towards a "consensus" with democrats.

it's like he's still living in 1999 in his head.
In theory, sure.

But if Trump gets slaughtered in 2020, and if Congress goes with him... they'll be some reckoning within the party that will inevitably lead to change. It was only 3 years ago that most were signaling the death of the GOP. Just because they won in 2016 doesn't mean that this changes. They're still a dying party, and this is their last grasp at power before their base dies off. There will have to be a change at some point, as unlikely as it may seem at this point. Shit, even Cocaine Mitch has admitted that climate change is the fault of humans.

And Kawhi is so signing with the Clippers. Still.

if you think the gop isn't going instantly back to mcconnell obstruction tactics the second a democratic president takes office again (we're also more or less guaranteed another mueller-style investigation on whatever flimsy bullshit they can dream up if they have any control at all) then i question if you've been paying attention the last few years.

While i try to stay away from the extremes, i agree with Dave. Biden’s statement was a drag.

There is no more GOP, it’s turned into a one state / ruling party that can’t be reasoned with ever again.

Now maybe if 2020 hurts them badly something new comes out of it, but can anyone name one single republican who hasn’t sold their soul to the party of Trump/authoritarian?

if you think the gop isn't going instantly back to mcconnell obstruction tactics the second a democratic president takes office again (we're also more or less guaranteed another mueller-style investigation on whatever flimsy bullshit they can dream up if they have any control at all) then i question if you've been paying attention the last few years.
If they still control a house of Congress? Absolutely.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but with all the court decisions on gerrymandering around the country that have come down and those that are still on the pike, I'm looking at complete democratic control in 2020.

It may be as illogical as Kawhi resigning in Toronto, alas.

even if they lose absolutely everything on the federal level (god please make this happen) i can't fathom any situation where they go "welp, we lost. guess we better make nice," rather than doubling down like a cornered rabid dog.

and yes it is extremely illogical that kawhi would sign with the team i actually named. i doubt he can even skate.

even if they lose absolutely everything on the federal level (god please make this happen) i can't fathom any situation where they go "welp, we lost. guess we better make nice," rather than doubling down like a cornered rabid dog.

and yes it is extremely illogical that kawhi would sign with the team i actually named. i doubt he can even skate.
If they lose both houses McConnell's head ends up on a pike and for two years they have no ability to obstruct a thing.

That doesn't mean the Democrats won't take their new found power and shoot themselves in the face, but that's a different conversation altogether.

I'm also not saying that a wounded Republican party is going to go running to the left. But they'll have to come over a little, specifically on issues that their constituents actually care about like health care.

sure, but getting back to biden's statement, it's just another brick in the wall of "trump is the disease, not the symptom" and that everything's going to go back to the good ol' way it was just as soon as we get rid of him.

it's naive beyond belief. no, we shouldn't be pining for the halcyon days of whenever (nobody ever seems to be able to say when exactly the good old days were) and trying to turn the clock back. i'm getting so sick of these constant appeals to nostalgia like this is just an aberration in the normal timeline.

we need to wake the fuck up and start dealing with the problems that are affecting us now and are going to affect our kids' generation on a scale that we can hardly imagine right now, like the climate disaster and absurd wealth inequality to name a few. i'm sick of biden's generation pretending like we can ignore the future by clinging on to the past for dear life - he might have that luxury but those of us under the age of 70 don't.

it's great if he wants to feel all warm and fuzzy with his buddies in the GOP one last time, he's entitled to feel that way. but the newer generations of the GOP aren't the reagan conservatives who only care about tax cuts and deregulating the stock market. they're maga chuds who think brown people should be put in concentration camps for the audacity of trying to cross the border to give their kids a better life. these people think women deserve to be executed for the grievous crime of not wanting to have a child before they're ready to take proper care of it. these people think that anyone to the left of steve bannon is literally subhuman. if we get this monstrosity of a party down on the ground it's my opinion that we should be stepping on their necks rather than offering a hand to get back up.

Last edited:
Wait how do you all see the Dems getting control of the Senate in 2020??

If they take Arizona, Colorado and Maine (and lose Alabama) they'll be one seat short of flipping the senate (provided they also win the White House).

The math is much clearer in 2020 than it was in 2018. I'm not saying it's a lock, but if a Democrat carries the White House it's not unreasonable for that momentum to carry a few candidates with them over the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom