US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
if you weren't so lazy and just worked a little harder you'd have as much money as them.
It's the free market. Everyone can create wealth.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Haha! Coming from folks who make WAY more money than many of us!!

What, your Republican demigod hasn’t fattened your wallet?

Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Yea I'm 1980 so I say I'm a millennial when it serves me and say I'm not when it doesn't
Haha 1980 for me too! I’m 1 month and 6 days shy of being a 70’s baby and NOT a millennial.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Yes, with good education and opportunity, anyone can become successful.

And that's part of the problem. Education has become too expensive to sustain, and the pay scaling between your entry level and middle and even low upper management employees is at an obscene level. Toss in an affordable housing crisis and many local governments being crushed by the weight of Boomer pensions and you have a recipe for future disaster.

Even those who are doing well and making low 6 figures? They're two steps away from CEOs making 8 figures. This is absolutely obscene and is not sustainable.
Low six figures with the student loans I racked up to get there has managed to get me a one bedroom apartment in the valley, so.. Yay?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 AM   #155
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Haha! Coming from folks who make WAY more money than many of us!!
Shouldn't that tell you something?

Nah? Alright, cool.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Low six figures with the student loans I racked up to get there has managed to get me a one bedroom apartment in the valley, so.. Yay?
People generally tend to conflate income with wealth but the two are separate things. It's possible to have a relatively high income and zero wealth (due to student loans, other debt, living in an extremely high cost area, having an atypically large family, etc).
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...206388736?s=21

LOCK HIM UP!!!

2020 is gonna be cray cray!!!

Trump will open a investigation into every democrat front runner and eventual nominee.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #158
Acrobat

Old 05-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Stop you’re going to make gzus cry
Old 05-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Stop you’re going to make gzus cry
I missed his post the first time, about all of us having more money than middle America.

L.
O.
L.

My sister doesn't make nearly as much as I do, but she's educated, lives in the Midwest and went to public college. She has her own house, three kids (who are in all kinds of activities) and two cars. There's a HUGE range of what having money really means.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My sister doesn't make nearly as much as I do, but she's educated, lives in the Midwest and went to public college. She has her own house, three kids (who are in all kinds of activities) and two cars. There's a HUGE range of what having money really means.
On a purely financial level, many people live in areas where they do not need to live. They could have way better lives moving to a lower cost area. For example, 2 married teachers do not need to live where an average house costs $1.6M, their professions are totally mobile.

But there are lots of people tied to jobs that are less mobile. Both my husband and I are very specialized professionals and nobody needs us in a small town. Then you also have people who depend on family for support (like watching their kids, etc) who are stuck in high cost areas.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
On a purely financial level, many people live in areas where they do not need to live. They could have way better lives moving to a lower cost area. For example, 2 married teachers do not need to live where an average house costs $1.6M, their professions are totally mobile.

But there are lots of people tied to jobs that are less mobile. Both my husband and I are very specialized professionals and nobody needs us in a small town. Then you also have people who depend on family for support (like watching their kids, etc) who are stuck in high cost areas.
Oh hello there, my life.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

yeah i'm pretty much stuck in toronto (or new york, maybe) if i want to stay with my career long-term because i work for a fintech company and we need to be physically close to the financial industry. which means owning a house and a car is completely out of the question as there's no space to park a car in my building or on the street, and even just saving up for a downpayment for a shoebox 1-br condo (which would be a major downgrade to our quality of living) is a completely unrealistic goal unless we get some sort of lucky financial windfall.

kristin and i want to have a kid eventually but there's no chance in hell we'll ever be able to have one in toronto - daycare alone costs more here per month for one kid than our rent on a nice apartment just west of downtown (our friends recently booked a daycare spot for their daughter - $2300/month). we'd also need to find a larger apartment if we had a child, which means that just to provide the basics for one kid we'd need to be making more than double what we make now, and we're already both earning almost 50% more than the average salary in toronto. i refuse to be one of those people that moves out to a subdivision in oakville and spends three hours every single day on a train. that's not the kind of life i want and i would be absolutely miserable.

so for now things are pretty great, but eventually i know a reckoning is coming. either we'll have to move away from toronto and probably back to the east coast (and i'll have to find a whole new career) if we want a kid, or we decide not to have children and live as DINKs in the city we really want to be in. i have no idea what we're going to do but unless we get really really lucky we'll likely never be able to have a family here, which really sucks because we would both love to raise a kid in the big city.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

We live in the west end of Toronto (Bloor-Royal York-ish). Used to live in Little Italy before we had kids but the parking situation drove us crazy. Literally circling forever to find a spot.

I am lucky to be just older enough than you (I think) that we got into the housing market at a more reasonable point. That's really been the major determinant of how financially stable people can be in this city.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I missed his post the first time, about all of us having more money than middle America.

L.
O.
L.

But you’re a lazy no good leach on the white man’s overtaxed wallet with your lack of desire to work and your food stamps and don’t you forget it.

But in all seriousness, much to the dismay of gzus himself, government subsidy is not just a demand by lazy people. It is a way of lifting the floor to a certain basic standard, and people who have good morals wish to have a certain basic standard, regardless of their income.