US Politics XIII: Don Jr. The Worst Judgment of Anyone in the World.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kinda my point. Now we're going back almost 30 years to bash Biden on something. What does that accomplish? I am completely in awe of people who seem to have this notion that no one changes their view over time. That people wouldn't do things differently 30 years ago than they would do today.
I don't need to go back 30 years to bash Joe Biden. I can point to recent statements/actions:

- Campaigning for a Republican congressional candidate in 2018.
- Stating that he believes millennial do not have unique economic difficulties and that their complaints are not worth discussing.
- Refusing to apologize to Anita Hill and continually implying that he was not bad to her and that anything bad that happened to her was out of his control.
- Barely engaging in even performative remorse for making many women uncomfortable and proceeding quickly to start making jokes about it (i.e. putting his arm around children and saying "He gave me permission, don't worry!")
- Stating that his main goal is to get Democrats and Republicans to work together again.

This is all recent stuff. He is the same guy. As Liz Warren said, if it comes down to the people versus the credit card companies, he'll side with the credit card companies. That's just who he is.

Think I’m deleting this app from my phone today. The loss of any sort of grip on reality, or how politics actually works, has become too much to bear. It’s easy to read Jacobin and maybe a few Glen Greenwald columns and think you’ve had the world explained to you, but it certainly isn’t possible to have a discussion with such folk. So I’m not going to be checking in or posting as much.

I think you should not do that and maybe just try other sub forums aside from FYM for a while. Helps to reset the brain.

In other topics, an article summing up Americans' general reaction to the Mueller report and the talk of impeachment:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/31-believe-trump-exonerated-mueller-report-56-oppose-190228228.html

I am a little confused as to why many Americans seem opposed to impeachment if the general consensus is that Trump's likely guilty, though. Is it that they think the process will be too long and drawn out? Is it that they think it won't achieve what it should in the end? Do they just think at this point that it's best to get Trump out through next year's election?

I can seriously see Mayor Pete winning and becoming a “not ready for prime time” modern day Dukakis. Trump then poaches NV NM CO VA NH ME MN in the election

Not sure that’s how VA or CO or NH or NM work tbh. Think those states are the select states where one would find a considerable amount of Never Trumpers. Particularly out west.

Devils Advocate. Starting from a low level (but higher than Romney) Let’s assume Trumps approval with Hispanics and African Americans has gone up from Election Day 2016. It wouldn’t take much vs Mayor Pete to pull it off assuming the economy is healthy.

I’m trying to brainstorm the best match-up versus Trump. This is where you wish you had JFK Jr still alive. That redhead Kennedy congressman screwed up that SOTU response last year. So much chapstick on his face it looks like he got facialed in the green room prior.

Tulsi Gabbard is interesting. Has a sober grasp of foreign affairs.

Oh cut the crap, stop reading propaganda. ”militarizing security clearances...”
Who do you think is issuing all of the requests to OPM? The DoD and the IC. And the IC is typically within the DoD. Sometimes DHS. But the majority of clearances are DoD. And it’s a looooong process. Donald is probably sour because his kids had to wait in line like everyone else (1-2 years).

the vast majority of the security clearances done in canada are for military personnel. in the states it's likely the same. the military probably should be doing the clearances themselves in the first place for efficiency's sake.

this authority is moving from an office controlled by the president to a department controlled by the president and the move grants him no extra power.

tis a silly thing to fret over.

Last edited:
the vast majority of the security clearances done in canada are for military personnel. in the states it's likely the same. the military probably should be doing the clearances themselves in the first place.

what a silly thing to fret over.

In the US they basically already do. You get your clearance sponsored through whichever agency is carrying you. It’s just anchored by OPM and handled by the national background investigation bureau.

It sounds to me like they want to cut out bloated bureaucracy. In exchange they’ll probably have faster layover times at a cost of lack of guarantees transferability.

Worth trying. Probably will backfire in a free years when people start complaining that they can’t work across agencies/departments with ease.

Not sure that’s how VA or CO or NH or NM work tbh. Think those states are the select states where one would find a considerable amount of Never Trumpers. Particularly out west.

Yeah, it looks a lot more like Cory Gardner is in trouble than CO is going to go for Trump.

This is why I can't take you seriously.

Think about it. Election Day as a baseline for candidate Trump with Hispanic - African American support. Even if he is performing 5-8 points better than 11/8/16 that is significant electorally. There is some polling to back this up. One poll that had him up to 50 percent approval with Hispanics. That’s probably an outlier but let’s say 7% more Hispanics are likely to vote for him. Nevada is likely his. Florida and Arizona safer.

Think about it. Election Day as a baseline for candidate Trump with Hispanic - African American support. Even if he is performing 5-8 points better than 11/8/16 that is significant electorally. There is some polling to back this up. One poll that had him up to 50 percent approval with Hispanics. That’s probably an outlier but let’s say 7% more Hispanics are likely to vote for him. Nevada is likely his. Florida and Arizona safer.

This reads to me more like "we know Trump won't win PA, MI, WI again so now let's see what we can reach" than anything else.

This reads to me more like "we know Trump won't win PA, MI, WI again so now let's see what we can reach" than anything else.

That all depends on if he can build on his African American vote numbers. Democrats are reliant on taking 90% of that demographic in Philadelphia, Wayne, Milwaukee Counties. We don’t know his true level of support. Plus it would depend on the matchup. This is where Mayor Pete might not play well and Trump could poach more votes in those areas.

You’re too far lost if you think Trump’s path to election is targeting the black vote or any minority. He wants them to stay home, and he wants middle suburban America to come out in waves.

Next we’ll hear how Trump’s new target constituency is black women.

Joe Biden is the Hillary Clinton of 2020 – and it won't end well this time either
Arwa Mahdawi
His is the vaguest and most centrist of battle cries: let’s go back to, you know, ‘all those good things’
Fri 26 Apr 2019 07.00 BST Last modified on Fri 26 Apr 2019 17.42 BST

Joe Biden wants to make America straight again. “America’s coming back like we used to be,” the former vice-president told reporters in Delaware on Thursday, shortly after he released a video officially announcing his 2020 campaign. “Ethical, straight, telling the truth … All those good things.”

It was unfortunate phrasing, but what else would you expect from a man whose foot always seems to be hovering somewhere near his mouth? Gaffes are part of Biden’s brand and, we will, no doubt see a lot more of them in the coming months.

We can also expect to see a lot more lofty promises about turning the clock back on Trumpism, and returning America to the (entirely mythical) days when the country was a bastion of morality. While it’s still early in the 2020 race, Biden has focused his campaign directly around Trump’s character, or lack thereof, in a way no other Democratic candidate has. His announcement video centered on the 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, where Trump infamously claimed that there “were very fine people of both sides”. For Biden, that was a defining point in Trump’s presidency. “n that moment, I knew the threat to this nation was unlike any I’d ever seen in my lifetime,” Biden says. “If we give Donald Trump eight years in the White House I believe he will forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation.”

Is Trump a morally bankrupt racist? Yes, obviously. However, there is a reason that the other Democratic candidates didn’t launch their campaigns with attacks on Trump’s character: that strategy was tried, tested and proved an abysmal failure by Hillary Clinton. You don’t get Trump supporters to see the error of their ways by calling them “a basket of deplorables”; you simply fuel a culture war. (Not to mention, when you have a history of implementing racist legislation like the 1994 Crime Act, a key driver in the mass incarceration of African American men, you set yourself up to be called a hypocrite.)

One of the many reasons the Clinton campaign failed was that it spent more time and energy criticizing Trump than interrogating the underlying reasons why he was popular. Clinton parroted the idea that “America is already great!” to people whose lives were anything but. She offered business as usual to people who desperately wanted change. Now we’ve got Biden, another establishment Democrat, doing exactly the same thing.

Biden’s answer to Trump isn’t systemic change that will make America a more equitable place. He’s not offering progressive policies like Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. His is the vaguest and most centrist of battle cries: let’s go back to, you know, “all those good things”. Let’s go back to a time where racism was a little more polite and white people could pretend America was a post-racial society. Let’s fight for the soul of America by pretending that Trump is the problem, not just a symptom of the problem. Let’s pretend that Charlottesville was a direct result of Trump – an aberration – and not a product of a racism that has always existed in America. Let’s rewind the clock a few years to when everything was just fine and dandy.

What’s really frustrating about Biden is the fact that, even though he is another version of Clinton, and seems to be getting set to run a carbon copy of Clinton’s campaign, we’re going to be told ad nauseum that he’s our best bet at beating Trump. We’re going to be told that he’s the only Democrat that can win the white working class over – forget the fact that Sanders is currently the candidate best connecting with that demographic, gaining cheers and enthusiasm at a Fox town hall with his vision for universal healthcare. We’re going to be told that candidates offering real change, like Sanders and Warren, are too progressive for America. That they’re not “electable”. We’re going to be told that we should repeat the mistakes of 2016 all over again. We’re going to be told that it will work out this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...of-2020-and-it-wont-end-well-this-time-either

Just seems like an over simplification.

Biden can probably win. That doesn’t mean I want him as the candidate. She lost because of a grand architecture the right established against her, followed by Trumpism. The latter they do not have on Biden. They’ve only just started now with “creepy uncle joe” or some shit. He also fairs way better against trumpism than she does, if only because he’s an old white male.

Look, I really don’t want Biden as the candidate. Really, really do not. I’d rather have Hillary back before Biden. Biden’s questionably one of my least favorite candidates available. But he’s not just handwavingly Clinton. He’s both worse than her in terms of quality as a candidate, and more likely to be elected than her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom