US Politics XI - more threads than fired Trump cabinet members

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a top two or three Republican presidential candidates or are you sticking with the current embarrassment in office?

Ehh, Kasich might've done a good job in Washington but I think he missed his shot. He could go third party for '20 but that won't be a winner.

I'd like to hear Mike Bloomberg's ideas on the D side.

Not to play identity politics but the Dems i think do need someone who’s younger and a minority.

I think a Harris and Beto ticket would be decent. Beto and Harris are fighters. Both seem to have some of the progressive ideals that Bernie tapped into, but they care more about everyone versus rural white people.

Biden is going to run. It’ll be interesting to see if “establishment” wins out again over a younger ticket

My fear isn’t that the Dems don’t have someone to compete in 2020

It’s the GOP will have rigged the system and elections that it doesn’t matter

NC, WI, MI are all examples of how the GOP hate democracy. Expect more of this

And why the fake news media isn’t making this their top story is beyond belief.

i don't think a better picture has ever been taken that shows so much about the times we live in today than this one taken over the weekend in Paris...

Dtkm0aVW0AAtiVt.jpg:large

"sure, he's responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, and ignoring the aids crisis, and creating the crack cocaine epidemic to fund an illegal covert war, and installing fascist dictators, and latin america is still to this day recovering from the damage he did there, but he wasnt a big meanie to people like trump is so we should all admire and respect him and wish for more politicians like that"

- liberals
I get what you're saying, and in no way do I think we should ignore these things... but you could pull out a list of horrible things done under the watch of every single president.

it's almost as if a system that essentially forces its leaders to commit various atrocities to maintain its power is a giant morally bankrupt stain on humanity that ought to be destroyed, or something.

Hoo, boy, namkuR!
When Air America Radio (about 2002 - ?2011ish) existed they extensively covered and I heard all about what Scott Walker et al were doing when he was elected (and other Mid-west states) back then. So infuriating, then and NOW!

They're not actually going to seat the drunk uncle next to Hillary at the funeral, are they? The Obamas and Clintons are seated in the front row next to each other. Oh now I see President Carter is next to Hillary and empty chair next to President Obama. Popcorn if Trump sits there.
Colbert showed a video before trump arrived of all of them conversing with each otheràq, and then drumph sits down and he had a still of them all staring straight ahead. Funny, and sad.

Oh, I saw that! :lol:
Not SO cyber-smart, Rudee, yah?

"sure, he's responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, and ignoring the aids crisis, and creating the crack cocaine epidemic to fund an illegal covert war, and installing fascist dictators, and latin america is still to this day recovering from the damage he did there, but he wasnt a big meanie to people like trump is so we should all admire and respect him and wish for more politicians like that"

- liberals
Dave, pls don't sound like peef casting generalizations about liberals.
One can hold two opposite opinions about a person's various actions.
I didn't know GHWB was often kind to a single or groups of people he met, or heard of. They told plenty of stories like that. AND he did ALL those horrific things a well.

Last edited:
Anitram - r u visiting NYC? You now live in Canada, right?

Got a legal question for those more informed than me.

Would Mueller want to, or need to set up a grand jury here in NYC (Southern District)? Or would it be through the NYS AG to look over Trump and his cronies' various evidence?

:rolleyes: thanks for proving the exact point i was trying to make with that post.

and i'll write whatever i damn well please within the rules of the forum. tough shit for you if you didn't like that post. that was the point.

peef was right about a hell of a lot more than we gave him credit for at the time. i fully acknowledge my role in this too, and i regret it now because my political viewpoint has changed a lot in the last year or so. i wish like hell he was still here and hope that if he's still lurking and reads this he accepts my apology for my part in us basically running him off the forum.

Woah, I was quite polite to you, ya know.
And yes you can write whatever you want within the rules.
And I can comment back.

And NO, we didn't "run(ning) him off the forum"- he decided to temporarily remove himself.
As far as I remember - I wasn't mean, or nasty to him - I just disagreed at times, or felt there could be more nuance in some views.

So you believe you can't hold two opinions about a person in their various actions? Is that what part of this is? GW did evil things!
It wasn't fun for me to have to spend my money to go down to DC to protest the First Gulf War (though it was good to see so many people there, and feel less alone)... but I had to do that.

Last edited:
he was a war criminal with the blood of thousands on his hands. how friendly he was to his coworkers and family doesn't fucking matter. pretending like it does matter in any way at all and that it somehow balances out the horrible shit he did is whitewashing his legacy and it's absolutely bullshit.

it happened with reagan and ford too, and it's going to happen with trump when he dies. i guarantee there will be liberals in the media talking about how much trump loved his family and he worked so hard or someshit, as if that makes any difference at all to the people whose lives he's actively destroying.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: thanks for proving the exact point i was trying to make with that post.

and i'll write whatever i damn well please within the rules of the forum. tough shit for you if you didn't like that post. that was the point.

peef was right about a hell of a lot more than we gave him credit for at the time. i fully acknowledge my role in this too, and i regret it now because my political viewpoint has changed a lot in the last year or so. i wish like hell he was still here and hope that if he's still lurking and reads this he accepts my apology for my part in us basically running him off the forum.

I’ve noticed the Dave has been evolving.

Where do I sit on the scale from a former Dave to an estranged Peef?

he was a war criminal with the blood of thousands on his hands. how friendly he was to his coworkers and family doesn't fucking matter. pretending like it does matter in any way at all and that it somehow balances out the horrible shit he did is whitewashing his legacy and it's absolutely bullshit.

it happened with reagan and ford too, and it's going to happen with trump when he dies. i guarantee there will be liberals in the media talking about how much trump loved his family and he worked so hard or someshit, as if that makes any difference at all to the people whose lives he's actively destroying.

The eras are very, very different. There wasn't vitriol against Bush senior, he was just regarded as not effective. My memory of him is more Dana Carvey's impression than anything else. Reagan was BELOVED by the GOP, he's practically their 2nd Jesus. He was always going to get a pass.

With W, he's benefitting from comparison with Trump. He'll always be regarded as an awful president who invaded a sovereign country for no reason and tanked the economy, and let New Orleans suffer, but he gets more of a pass because he honestly comes off as human. Personally, I don't like the warm fuzzy W people are pushing, but well, that's just me.

The last thing is the passage of time tends to soften peoples anger. It's been 10 years since W was president and he'll likely live for a while longer. I don't believe Trump will have that luxury. I'm honestly quite shocked he's still alive based on his diet.

Anitram - r u visiting NYC? You now live in Canada, right?

Got a legal question for those more informed than me.

Would Mueller want to, or need to set up a grand jury here in NYC (Southern District)? Or would it be through the NYS AG to look over Trump and his cronies' various evidence?

I did practice in NYC but only corporate finance and securities law so I know very little about criminal (or civil) procedure in NY state or anywhere else for that matter. :lol:

i can't imagine trump has too much time left, i just hope like hell that it doesn't happen before he gets humiliated and thrown out of office either via the ballot box or handcuffs. we all need to see that happen, for the catharsis.

The eras are very, very different. There wasn't vitriol against Bush senior, he was just regarded as not effective. My memory of him is more Dana Carvey's impression than anything else. Reagan was BELOVED by the GOP, he's practically their 2nd Jesus. He was always going to get a pass.

With W, he's benefitting from comparison with Trump. He'll always be regarded as an awful president who invaded a sovereign country for no reason and tanked the economy, and let New Orleans suffer, but he gets more of a pass because he honestly comes off as human. Personally, I don't like the warm fuzzy W people are pushing, but well, that's just me.

The last thing is the passage of time tends to soften peoples anger. It's been 10 years since W was president and he'll likely live for a while longer. I don't believe Trump will have that luxury. I'm honestly quite shocked he's still alive based on his diet.

All of this. Plus, there's the whole "not speaking ill of the dead" thing that a lot of people go by in general, so I think that explains a lot of the commentary and responses thus far, too.

And in the case of liberals praising Bush Sr., I get the feeling that a large part of that is due to the fact that if they were to actually address any of the negative aspects of his presidency, that'd just be more fuel for the right to go after them and complain about them making his death into some political thing and always being mean to conservatives or whatever. Those of you criticizing the left for their response to his death are right in that they SHOULD be out there calling him and his administration out for any of the bad stuff they did, because there is indeed plenty to criticize, and glossing over those bad spots just makes it so much easier for people to forget that stuff happened, and allows us to risk making those same mistakes and pulling that same crap again.

But unfortunately nowadays it seems that liberals can't seem to win no matter what response they give to any particular situation. They try and rightly call shit out and speak honestly, they're criticized by the right for being partisan and SJW-ish and whatnot and will fuel that stupid "see, the left's just as nasty as the right" nonsense. Yet if they try and keep things neutral and civil and such, they get yelled at by the left for being cowardly and not speaking out more. It's frustrating.

All of the above being said, however, I don't know how the media will handle it whenever Trump dies, but I guarantee you I'll have no warm, fuzzy things to say about him.

Last edited:
All of the above being said, however, I don't know how the media will handle it whenever Trump dies, but I guarantee you I'll have no warm, fuzzy things to say about him.

When that day does arrive what will you tell the younger generations was his worst moment as President?

I wasn't talking about his family, friends or co-workers!!!
There were stories about kindnesses he showed to stranger/s he met during his travels as president.

Did you not read where I said I went down to protest the First Gulf War - among the things we (was with friends) saw were 4 abreast protestors: each of the two of them side by side were holding the ends of an empty (soon to be filled) body bag, OK?! I spent my time, my money to try and do something which could have been used for other things in my life; to not let his actions to unnoticed, unopposed even at that point when we couldn't stop it.

Do you think I think those kindnesses balance out the terrible things he did? NO, of course not. jeeez!
I never white washed Reagan, or Ford either.

As for "future" liberals saying how hard trump worked :lol: - they be idiots who forget how much of a con man orange donnie is - how he got more after the tons he got from his father!

Last edited:
All of this. Plus, there's the whole "not speaking ill of the dead" thing that a lot of people go by in general, so I think that explains a lot of the commentary and responses thus far, too.

And in the case of liberals praising Bush Sr., I get the feeling that a large part of that is due to the fact that if they were to actually address any of the negative aspects of his presidency, that'd just be more fuel for the right to go after them and complain about them making his death into some political thing and always being mean to conservatives or whatever. Those of you criticizing the left for their response to his death are right in that they SHOULD be out there calling him and his administration out for any of the bad stuff they did, because there is indeed plenty to criticize, and glossing over those bad spots just makes it so much easier for people to forget that stuff happened, and allows us to risk making those same mistakes and pulling that same crap again.

But unfortunately nowadays it seems that liberals can't seem to win no matter what response they give to any particular situation. They try and rightly call shit out and speak honestly, they're criticized by the right for being partisan and SJW-ish and whatnot and will fuel that stupid "see, the left's just as nasty as the right" nonsense. Yet if they try and keep things neutral and civil and such, they get yelled at by the left for being cowardly and not speaking out more. It's frustrating.

Well, WNYC public radio has mentioned things people found terrible about him (GHWB)

Yeah, ML, esp moderates will say the left is being just as nasty as the right. :rolleyes:

i can't imagine trump has too much time left, i just hope like hell that it doesn't happen before he gets humiliated and thrown out of office either via the ballot box or handcuffs. we all need to see that happen, for the catharsis.
Oh, do I w ant to see him thrown out of office, pleeeease!
I want him to feel so humiliated, so bad (when he can't do any harm to anyone)!
When that day does arrive what will you tell the younger generations was his worst moment as President?

I will tell them (certainly as if now) that there were only nasty, to worse and worser moments with trump! :crack:
There are so many I can't even name "the worse".

Last edited:
Living in DC there's no avoiding the idea of the presidency, even with a 4 year old.

What I've told my son is this - "the President is usually at least a good person, even if we don't always agree with what they do. This one is not a good person."

We've been here for a year and a half. I refuse to take him anywhere near the White House until this shit stain is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom