US Politics VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These fucking monsters are against breast feeding?!?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/08/health/world-health-breastfeeding-ecuador-trump.html

A resolution to encourage breast-feeding was expected to be approved quickly and easily by the hundreds of government delegates who gathered this spring in Geneva for the United Nations-affiliated World Health Assembly.

Based on decades of research, the resolution says that mother’s milk is healthiest for children and countries should strive to limit the inaccurate or misleading marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Then the United States delegation, embracing the interests of infant formula manufacturers, upended the deliberations.

Trade war with China has officially kicked off, it would seem. In a circuitous kind of way this might end up being a win for the Democrats, because the only thing that is likely to turn Trump supporters against him are higher prices and a general economic squeeze on daily goods. How long it will take these tariffs to reach the average consumer is anyone's guess though.

I doubt this will change a trump supporters mind! Some trump supporters who work at a Harley Davidson plant who might actually lose their jobs because HD is considering moving operations out of the country due to the tariffs imposed by trump, were asked if they agreed what trump was doing nd they said they fully support him. Yes they fully support him even tough his actions might cause these supporters their jobs! So I’ve come to the conclusion that trump could bankrupt the USA and his supporters will still find a way to justify it. Heck I think trump could have the mothers of these supporters killed and they would STILL say “well he did it for a good reason”. I’ve come to the realization that trump supporters are a total waste of humans! They are a lost cause. Mark my words, when the economy starts collapsing, his supporters will still support him! There is no hope in that supporters might change their mind if it hits them in a bad way economically!

I doubt this will change a trump supporters mind! Some trump supporters who work at a Harley Davidson plant who might actually lose their jobs because HD is considering moving operations out of the country due to the tariffs imposed by trump, were asked if they agreed what trump was doing nd they said they fully support him. Yes they fully support him even tough his actions might cause these supporters their jobs! So I’ve come to the conclusion that trump could bankrupt the USA and his supporters will still find a way to justify it. Heck I think trump could have the mothers of these supporters killed and they would STILL say “well he did it for a good reason”. I’ve come to the realization that trump supporters are a total waste of humans! They are a lost cause. Mark my words, when the economy starts collapsing, his supporters will still support him! There is no hope in that supporters might change their mind if it hits them in a bad way economically!

:yes:

Anything is better than liberalism/progressive politics. Anything. That appears to be their mentality.

Last edited:
Doubt it. He’s more likely to just be a contrarian.

dairy industry

private corporate interests over public health - capitalism gone mad - Trump all round (and all those he stands for - money money money)

Last edited:
PHOENIX (AP) — The 1-year-old boy in a green button-up shirt drank milk from a bottle, played with a small purple ball that lit up when it hit the ground and occasionally asked for “agua.”

Then it was the child’s turn for his court appearance before a Phoenix immigration judge, who could hardly contain his unease with the situation during the portion of the hearing where he asks immigrant defendants whether they understand the proceedings.

“I’m embarrassed to ask it, because I don’t know who you would explain it to, unless you think that a 1-year-old could learn immigration law,” Judge John W. Richardson told the lawyer representing the 1-year-old boy.

This is America.

Sounds conspiratorial. I doubt Trump gives a shit. He’s just self absorbed.

why would it be conspiratorial?

it's common knowledge that big businesses lobby agencies to push their agenda at such events, and if there are unscrupulous people in the US delegation who favour corporate greed over public health, well, it's obvious... no money to be made from breastfeeding... (and don't forget there are a lot of big (declining) businesses hoping to have a last ditch at making money while Trump is in power, dirty energy etc., so why not infant formula as a huge part of the dairy industry which has immense lobbying strength worldwide)

or maybe it was the puritanical evangelicals who objected to breastfeeding because it involves women and their breasts, after all, they want to take control of our uteruses, so why not our boobs too

eta: it's mad, i remember the days when we were all boycotting Nestle due to their operations in Africa, making women switch from breastfeeding to formula, which caused massive health problems due to lack of clean water - back then it was deemed unethical and prompted massive social outrage, but once again these companies are focusing on developing countries...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ation-opposes-breastfeeding-resolution-report

Under an internal code of the World Health Organisation, baby formula companies are banned from explicitly targeting mothers and their health carers. Advertising is also controlled.

A Guardian investigation with Save the Children earlier this year found that formula milk firms were using aggressive methods to skirt around the regulations in order to press mothers and healthcare professionals to choose powdered milk over breastfeeding. The measures were particularly intensively deployed in the poorest regions of the world, where most growth in the baby milk formula business is now concentrated.

A plethora of studies have shown the stark health improvements brought about by breastfeeding in the US and around the world. A Harvard study in 2016 estimated that 3,340 premature deaths a year among both mothers and babies could be prevented in the US alone given adequate breastfeeding.

The milk formula industry has been struggling against stagnating sales in recent years, but is still worth $70bn annually. The small number of giants that produce it are concentrated in the US and Europe.

One of those giants, Abbott Nutrition, is part of the healthcare multinational Abbott Laboratories that contributed to Trump’s inauguration ceremonies in January 2017.

Last edited:
It’s conspiratorial in that you think Trump is lobbied and caving in. Or that he’s got some personal vested interests (Trump Milk Ltd.) or whatever.

I think it’s pretty clear that the guy is looking to capitalize on ego. He’s just trying to make his base drink the juice. I’ll bring back coal industry! The government is lying to you! Coal is good! Global warming is also not real! NASA is closed but we are making space great again by reopening it! Vaccines are the government injecting you with autism! Chem trails might be real, I don’t know I’ve never met them before!

The dude isn’t subservient to any lobby. He’s impulsive and egotistical and just sticks to his narrative. “I know better than the status quo, believe me!”

The only thing I think is validly conspiratorial with him is anything directly related to his businesses. You know like, the ivanka products just mentioned. Government officials and campaign members staying in his hotels. He definitely looks out for himself and his family/business.

It’s conspiratorial in that you think Trump is lobbied and caving in. Or that he’s got some personal vested interests (Trump Milk Ltd.) or whatever.

I think it’s pretty clear that the guy is looking to capitalize on ego. He’s just trying to make his base drink the juice. I’ll bring back coal industry! The government is lying to you! Coal is good! Global warming is also not real! NASA is closed but we are making space great again by reopening it! Vaccines are the government injecting you with autism! Chem trails might be real, I don’t know I’ve never met them before!

The dude isn’t subservient to any lobby. He’s impulsive and egotistical and just sticks to his narrative. “I know better than the status quo, believe me!”

The only thing I think is validly conspiratorial with him is anything directly related to his businesses. You know like, the ivanka products just mentioned. Government officials and campaign members staying in his hotels. He definitely looks out for himself and his family/business.

oh sorry no, i didn't say it's Trump being lobbied - i don't think he even needs to be as he just pretty much favours these stagnating industries anyway - with Trump in power, these industries now feel they can go against the social tide and lobby the delegations/agencies (i.e. in this case the WH Agency) to push their agendas and do what the fuck they want - gloves are off - Trump is a useful fool for them really - i think i took your conversation with MrsSpringsteem off on a tangent lol

but i wouldn't be surprised in the least if he did get some sort of pay-off from these companies in return for allowing this aggressive behaviour, i mean, it seems like a free for all ethically right now - the dairy industry has huge clout and his administration is a swamp - i could see them all making a deal lol

more than anything though, i feel this is about controlling women's bodies as usual, and allowing huge corporations to make money in the process

oh yeah and the last line of the article i posted, says it all:

One of those giants, Abbott Nutrition, is part of the healthcare multinational Abbott Laboratories that contributed to Trump’s inauguration ceremonies in January 2017.

they give him money, he promotes their agendas

Last edited:
I’m deep in Trump country at the moment. Some grumbling last night about how the steel tariffs are going to really, really hurt people.

I smiled on the inside. But I’m polite so I never talk politics down here.

tim hortons franchisees' move to take advantage of the $1 raise in minimum wage to screw over their workers by cutting all benefits and reducing hours rather than simply paying their workers a living wage has backfired tremendously on them. shortly after they cried poor over the minimum wage going up by $1, claiming they could no longer afford to give their workers basic health coverage or enough hours to live on, they announced a plan to spend nearly a billion dollars to renovate stores nationwide - it amounts to something like $60,000 per store (which would pay for at least two full-time employees for an entire year in every single location) for new fixtures, but apparently they just can't afford to pay immigrant mothers (that's who the majority of tim's employees are that i see here in toronto) working all day behind the counter an extra $35 a week.

i don't know a single person that still goes to tim horton's anymore as a result of these shenanigans over the last year or so (though outside the city where there are less options they haven't taken as bad of a hit). it's heartening that even a brand as ingrained in the national psyche as tim horton's isn't safe from this kind of backlash when the wealthy owners blatantly abuse and take advantage of their workers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/09/tim-hortons-canada-coffee-brand-popularity-downfall

Last edited:
In the suburbs the Tim's are still totally rammed. I work by the airport in Toronto and there is a Tim Hortons near us which is so busy that it has a second building across the parking lot to handle drive through traffic. You can't ever go there without at least a dozen cars in front of you, in the mornings it's much worse than that. If I drive on surface roads from my home in the west end there, every single Tim's is the same. People living downtown don't get how popular it is within a certain segment of population.

I honestly don't like anything there, not being a snob, but the coffee is not great (dark roast is maybe drinkable), I don't eat donuts or muffins or anything with sugar, their bagels are on the level of a grocery store bagel and I'm not sure about lunches, haven't been there for that in years. I remember their chilli being really inconsistent - either thicker than molasses or runny like soup, back in the days when we had a TH in my law school building.

So like you said, it's great that a national brand that really dominates in the "heartland" so to speak isn't immune.

the coffee has been roughly equivalent to shitwater since mcdonald's stole their supplier a few years ago, but even two years ago there were a few things there for food that weren't bad if you needed something quick and convenient, like the bagels and soups. but a big part of the franchisee's complaints with the new owner is that they've been forced to use lower-quality suppliers and raise prices at the same time as the quality of the food has gone down. the last time i was in there was last fall when i needed to grab something fast to eat and i got a bagel - despite apparently having been toasted, it was so chewy and flavourless as to be nearly inedible. the only flavour i could taste was cream cheese and even there it was obvious that there was about two-thirds as much cream cheese on it as there was before even though i paid 35 cents more for it than the last time i'd bought one.

it'll of course never go away completely (especially where drive-thrus are a thing) but i can't say i'm upset to see them getting their comeuppance for treating their employees like shit and the public like idiots.

the last time i was in there was last fall when i needed to grab something fast to eat and i got a bagel - despite apparently having been toasted, it was so chewy and flavourless as to be nearly inedible. the only flavour i could taste was cream cheese and even there it was obvious that there was about two-thirds as much cream cheese on it as there was before even though i paid 35 cents more for it than the last time i'd bought one.

Typical.

The last time I got a bagel there I asked for it to be toasted with butter and for them to put on "half the butter you usually put on" (because they slather so much the butter soaks the bag). She looked at me and asked "so you want butter on only on half of the bagel?" :lol:

So, Ed Schultz passed away yesterday, at the age of 64.

For those who don't remember, he was a radio host, and then the host of "The Ed Show" on MSNBC, where he was sort of a blue-collar working man's alternative to the more wonky likes of Maddow, Chris Hayes, Lawerence O'Donnell, etc. More outspoken than most against Scott Walker's union-busting in Wisconsin.

After MSNBC let him go a few years back, he did an about face that disappointed a lot of people when he went to work for RT, Russian state television, and all of a sudden started defending Trump, speaking against the Russia investigation, etc.

He lost a lot of respect from a lot of people with that move. Still, 64 is too young for anybody to go. R.I.P.

Wait... WHAT?!??!!!
omg! I had NO idea this happened...
i'm... floored...

damn.

:sigh: maybe he'd have changed again, had he lived. Wow.

Oh, so many good posts, too little time to really comment. So a few short comments

Woah, that posted piece about the 1 yr old immigrant child in court?! It's the first one I've actually heard any details, other than previously knowing this was about to (further) happen to these already traumatized kids. :crazy: Like a monstrous 1-ring circus.

I had just caught the UN/WHO Breast Milk resolution vs The USA before I got to this thread. Science vs Greed/or Christian Religious Conservatives. :crack:

mamacass-
As a liberal radio talk show person quoted:
"Taxes are what we pay for a civilized society".

Last edited:
AHey man, we finally have a president who isn’t afraid to talk like a douchebag!

Aren’t you tired of the political talk? Isn’t it refreshing to have someone with the mind of a 5 year old represent us across the world ?
What I meant was I like the whole sarcasm of this.

Side note

I am not sure i have ever seen someone lack any compassion and empathy as much as Donald.

How fucking miserable must his thoughts be to constantly take it out on others ?
He's way up on the lack of compassion scale. I dunno Paul Ryan is pretty up there but bye doesn't have the overblown narcissism that drumpf has.

As to his inner thoughts, the kind you are postulating on maybe they're semi, or uncinscious. Or on autopilot.

even so we have to do the best we can to stop his policies.

He talks like my drunk, racist Uncle!
does your uncle only reveal his racism when he's drunk, or does just get worse?

This is a rather overly simplistic views of "Republicans'. I am a conservative, but would not say I'm a republican for various reasons, but this could easily be responded to by saying that most Democrats vote the way they do because it makes them FEEL compassionate, when they're really doing nothing compassionate. Many Democrats want to raise taxes on people with more money than them and "redistribute" wealth to the needy (themselves?) because they are either jealous, and/or either don't want to put forth the effort or investment to make more money.

It's very easy for Democrats/Liberals to spend other people's money and time and pretend they're compassionate. You know what real compassion is?? Doing something yourself, volunteering to help the people less fortunate than you, using your own money to help those organizations that you support, not pretending to be compassionate by forcing who gets what by giving more money to an inept government that's put us 20 trillion dollars in debt. Lower taxes put more money in your pocket, so use that money to support those in need! THAT'S compassion.
:hmm: The "inept" govt that built up the Tennessee Valley Authority, put men in the moon, built Skylab, the Shuttles, your highway system, etc etc.

I've put money and time here and there through the decades to help people, places in need or volunteered time to get people elected that would address and hose kind of issues.

But (as some here said) "there probably would n't be enough volunteers or donations to cover all in need.
Thus a certain amount of wealth distribution. "To whom much is given, much is expected".
NO ONE totally does it on their own. There's public schools, public works, tranportation, electricity, water and sewage etc. The people you might hire use all this, too.

Conservative views often come from Calvanist, and other streams of Protestent faiths (not all). Those equate
wealth = worthiness. So if you're poor you are NOT worthy.
Are you one of those conservatives who took the New Testimate and tore out all of Jesus's references to the poor, etc?

Redistributing wealth isn't about jealousy or laziness. It's about morality. You'd rather a thousand people die from health issues that would be preventable under universal healthcare than even one lazy person get a social safety net.

Fucking THIS!!! So goddamn true. :scream:

Last edited:
What I meant was I like the whole sarcasm of this.

He's way up on the lack of compassion scale. I dunno Paul Ryan is pretty up there but bye doesn't have the overblown narcissism that drumpf has.

As to his inner thoughts, the kind you are postulating on maybe they're semi, or uncinscious. Or on autopilot.

even so we have to do the best we can to stop his policies.

does your uncle only reveal his racism when he's drunk, or does just get worse?

:hmm: The "inept" govt that built up the Tennessee Valley Authority, put men in the moon, built Skylab, the Shuttles, your highway system, etc etc.

I've put money and time here and there through the decades to help people, places in need or volunteered time to get people elected that would address and hose kind of issues.

But (as some here said) "there probably would n't be enough volunteers or donations to cover all in need.
Thus a certain amount of wealth distribution. "To whom much is given, much is expected".
NO ONE totally does it on their own. There's public schools, public works, tranportation, electricity, water and sewage etc. The people you might hire use all this, too.

Conservative views often come from Calvanist, and other streams of Protestent faiths (not all). Those equate
wealth = worthiness. So if you're poor you are NOT worthy.
Are you one of those conservatives who took the New Testimate and tore out all of Jesus's references to the poor, etc?

Fucking THIS!!! So goddamn true. :scream:

Except that it's you know, theft. Why should you or anyone else be entitled to anyone else's money? This is what you don't get about free market capitalism, there's not an finite amount of money. Wealth can be created.

So you want everyone in the US to live in mediocrity? Punish people for being successful? We are the richest nation on earth because of this "horrible scourge called capitalism. "

Again, it's easy for YOU to spend other people's money, oh I'm sorry, "redistribute other people's money" than to just encourage those who want more to work harder, get smarter and go out and get more! People do it everyday, that's America.

What you're doing is just self righteous virtue signaling.

Last edited:
Except that it's you know, theft. Why should you or anyone else be entitled to anyone else's money? This is what you don't get about free market capitalism, there's not an finite amount of money. Wealth can be created.

So you want everyone in the US to live in mediocrity? Punish people for being successful? We are the richest nation on earth because of this "horrible scourge called capitalism. "

Again, it's easy for YOU to spend other people's money, oh I'm sorry, "redistribute other people's money" than to just encourage those who want more to work harder, get smarter and go out and get more! People do it everyday, that's America.

There are several people in this thread who work very hard and make very, very good salaries and feel just fine about having a substantial portion taxed so that people less fortunate than themselves can have roads, schools, and healthcare.

Also, if you live in a red state, you are living off the Blue states. And you realize that there areas where the vast, vast majority of GDP comes from all voted for Hillary, yes?

I bet I work harder than you.

I bet I make more money than you.

You bet I’m willing to “redistribute” my wealth as a construct of society to pay for infrastructure, security, education, healthcare, and development.

I’m not being “punished.” There’s plenty of money to go around because I worked hard, thanks to our capitalistic system. And with that money I can make more money than someone who doesn’t make as much money. And I’ll be taxed even more. And I’m happy to contribute to society through whatever success I might encounter.

Even Donald Trump understands this. Even he understands and agrees with progressive tax brackets. C’mon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom