US Politics VIII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that while I have criticized the Russia thing as being an easy out for center-left Democrats who don't want to admit they blew it in 2016, I am all for using it as an actual political tool and making the case that Trump shouldn't be allowed to pick another judge while under investigation. Start playing politics, Dems.

Multiple people shot at a newspaper in Baltimore.

This is what happens when the president calls the media the “enemy of the people”.

Now, now. It could just be yet another simple explanation of a dude getting some revenge on an ex.

Yep, I'm cynical.

Everything is just aggressively terrible.

On the plus side, by the time it's time for my IUD to be replaced, I'll be just about ready to start menopausing and extremely unlikely to get knocked up, so ..... yay?

UNDER HIS EYE, GANG. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

On the plus side, by the time it's time for my IUD to be replaced, I'll be just about ready to start menopausing and extremely unlikely to get knocked up, so ..... yay?

UNDER HIS EYE, GANG. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m 36, and could go through early menopause as one of my sisters did. So should I even bother, is the question now.

Either way, scary times are up ahead. :eek:

Well, fuck.

On the one hand, I'm glad my Twitter feed ignored the shit Milo Yanapoulis (didn't spell it right, don't give a shit) said two days ago about how people should start gunning down journalists.

On the other hand, fuck, BoMac is probably right.

On my third hand, which grows out of my back, everything is just aggressively fucking terrible.

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m 36, and could go through early menopause as one of my sisters did. So should I even bother, is the question now.

Either way, scary times are up ahead. :eek:

Someone mentioned yesterday that in the early 90s, SCOTUS had a majority of republican-appointed justices, and Roe V Wade survived.

It heartened me for all of ten seconds until I realized that there is literally no comparing the GOP in 1992 vs today.

Roe v Wade is such a good issue to rally the base. Because it literally excuses everything.

Invaded Iraq? THE OTHER SIDE KILLS BABIES.

Supporting a thrice married serial assaulter racist? THE OTHER SIDE KILLS BABIES.

Children are being thrown into “tender age” interment camps? FETUSES ARE BEING SEPARATED FROM THEIR MOTHERS EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

If it goes away, I wonder what will happen. Other than a lot of women suffering and probably dying.

If it goes away, I wonder what will happen. Other than a lot of women suffering and probably dying.

Did anyone ever read “Freakanomics”? It had a chapter that explained that legalizing abortion lead to a rise in crime, because mothers became impoverished since they didn’t have the financial and emotional capacity to have a kid. That led to gang activity, poor discipline and other problems that lead to crime.

The same book also talked about Romania, which banned abortion and led to an exploding population growth in which kids were put into wearhouses overflowing with kids. Those kids grew up to have serious mental and emotional problems because of the lack of nurturing in those so-called orphanages.

The good news though - if there are any - is that young Romanians born during this time revolted and overthrew and assassinated Ceacescu (sp?). In other words, the youth born as a result of banned abortion ended overthrowing the dictator that banned it in the first place.

Five dead at Annapolis newspaper. :sigh:

If it were a left-leaning one, methinks there won’t be any “thoughts and prayers”.

So, we've had shitty Supreme Court rulings, a Justice leaving and therefore potentially fucking over any progress that's been made thus far, and now a shooting at a newspaper.

What a week :|.

.The same book also talked about Romania, which banned abortion and led to an exploding population growth in which kids were put into wearhouses overflowing with kids. Those kids grew up to have serious mental and emotional problems because of the lack of nurturing in those so-called orphanages.

The good news though - if there are any - is that young Romanians born during this time revolted and overthrew and assassinated Ceacescu (sp?). In other words, the youth born as a result of banned abortion ended overthrowing the dictator that banned it in the first place.

How's that for karma? Interesting story. Heartbreaking, but interesting.

Did anyone ever read “Freakanomics”? It had a chapter that explained that legalizing abortion lead to a rise in crime, because mothers became impoverished since they didn’t have the financial and emotional capacity to have a kid. That led to gang activity, poor discipline and other problems that lead to crime.

Just a small correction, it explained how legalizing abortion lead to a drop in crime... starting about 18 years after the Roe vs. Wade decision. The situation you're describing was from before the decision where pregnant women in a low-opportunity situation could not get an abortion. After Roe vs. Wade many of those women did get an abortion, leading to a decrease of low-opportunity children.

Moonlit ..... thank you for the kind message. RE if I need a roommate, hehe hehe I do I have a spare room for my great American friends who want to escape this madness in the states! Vancouver is a lovely albeit very expensive place to live! It snows rarely, summers are always sunny and mild (not super hot) and one of the few places where you could spend the morning in the ski slopes and walk the beach in the afternoon hehehe. But winters, the umbrella becomes a part of your body lol.

And Dazzle thank you as well!!! :)

So today I read two crazy things.

1. I read that Harley Davidson employees that might be effected by HD sending some of its operations to Europe, they are saying that trump is doing a good job! YES even when because of trump they might loose their jobs, they STILL support him!
2. In a speech trump was handed a card saying something about Canada’s wheat trade, where he bisicaly said it’s a bad deal but He didn’t understand what he just read lol.

Can’t get any more stupid than that folks!

Last edited:
Just a small correction, it explained how legalizing abortion lead to a drop in crime... starting about 18 years after the Roe vs. Wade decision. The situation you're describing was from before the decision where pregnant women in a low-opportunity situation could not get an abortion. After Roe vs. Wade many of those women did get an abortion, leading to a decrease of low-opportunity children.

Oh yikes, I had it backwards. Thanks for the correction!

See what happens when you do this at work?

Fewer abortions + MOAR GUNS = ?

Other than somewhat increased chance of nuclear apocalypse, SCOTUS stuff was probably my biggest fear about Trump.

Not surprising that it happened. And it could get worse.

What do we think of Roberts as the new “swing” judge? My instinct is that he’s too pragmatic and cares too much about his legacy to let Roe v. Wade die, but maybe I’m being too optimistic here.

But if I’m right, that still leaves room for things to get worse if RBG can’t hang on through the end of Trump’s term...

Scary times.

The scariest thing now is the fact Trump's approval ratings are at all-time highs, and have ticked up some 5 or so points among Democrats (!!) which does not bode well for November. Absent a blue wave, it's pretty much all over.

Let’s say there is a blue wave this November

Don’t think Trump and his admin won’t claim RIGGED ELECTION and fight a few of the contests that could give the Dems some sort of advantage or obstruction

And then there’s Russia who will have free reign on our elections going forward

hamburger menu (top left) -> settings -> signature on the android app
giphy.gif

089.gif

yeah, that’s her. with the golden arches. i better use some tic tacs just in case i start eating her fries. you know, i’m automatically attracted to beautiful big macs — i just start eating them. it’s like a magnet. just chomp. i don’t even chew. and when you’re a star, they let you do it. you can do anything. grab ’em by the mcflurry. you can do anything.

Last edited:
Fuck me

Justice Kennedy’s son is the head of global head of real estate capital

Of Duetche Bank

Who was the only bank to lend Mr Trump any $$$$$???

Duetsche Bank

I’m sure it’s all a coincidence

Now there’s talk that Trump wants to pull the US out of the WTO, which would cause worldwide economic chaos.

This man is insane.

What do we think of Roberts as the new “swing” judge? My instinct is that he’s too pragmatic and cares too much about his legacy to let Roe v. Wade die, but maybe I’m being too optimistic here.
Scary times.

Agree w/ you on Roberts filling Kennedy's role, digitize. For me, they're both model justices.

But if I’m right, that still leaves room for things to get worse if RBG can’t hang on through the end of Trump’s term...

Hindsight is 20/20....but....Ginsburg had a lengthy opportunity to retire comfortably and chose not to. I hope she still gets that chance on her own terms :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom