US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite Trump meme is the one with him yelling at the kid mowing the WH lawn.

HEY DO YOU KNOW A GOOD LAWYER

etc.

No to be devil’s advocate (might quite literally be so), but relating Kanye West to David Duke, Ahmadinejad etc. and then claiming Nick is a fan is kinda doing what Nick does.

Agreed. I know it’s hard to resist the temptation to get a jab in at someone you disagree with, but claiming they must admire racists is a step too far.

In the words of Michelle Obama...

Dammit, Nick.

Agreed. I know it’s hard to resist the temptation to get a jab in at someone you disagree with, but claiming they must admire racists is a step too far.

In the words of Michelle Obama...

Dammit, Nick.

I was merely pointing out that it goes against orthodoxy to deny the Holocaust, which is what all those men have in common, much in the same way that Kanye believes that slavery was a choice.

Nick doesn’t admire racists, nor does he deny the Holocaust, but he *does* admire those who challenge orthodoxy and conventional wisdom — slavery was monstrous and certainly not a choice, the Nazis killed 6m Jews — which is exactly how he framed Kanye’s comments, as a form of bravery.

I suppose it has more to do with stating he does or may admire them, rather comparing or questioning.

Anyways I’m not the police here, take your swords back.

Exactly. That's the point. The Trump supporters have zero room to complain about anyone being mean to them/Trump/his administration, or making jokes about them, because they cheered Trump for "telling it like it is" and "not being PC" and not worrying about pissing off "sensitive" people. If that's the world they want to live in, fine, but they need to realize that that means the nasty rhetoric is going to go both ways as a result. And if we have to suck it up with our offense at something somebody says about us, then so do they. I don't get why they don't have to give a crap about our feelings and that's okay, but we have to be gentle with theirs. I keep hearing people say that we have to reach out and try and understand where they're coming from, but nobody tells them they need to do the same for us.

That being said, personally, I'd much rather have a calmer, quieter dialogue, and always try and engage in that kind of conversation when and where possible. But all the Trump supporters I've tried talking to don't really seem all that interested in that kind of conversation. They just continue to dig in their heels and believe the lies and BS this administration puts out, and accuse anyone who tries to tell them otherwise of lying, or mock those of us who try and explain why what this administration says and does is so troubling. So when talking doesn't work, what do you do then?

I didn't see the WHCD itself-I've just read snippets from Wolf's routine. From what I've read, I did see a couple comments about Ivanka that could be seen as perhaps a little too personal, and maybe there were other moments of that sort in the routine itself that I haven't read that did cross a line, or at least walk it very finely. If that's the case, then yeah, I can sympathize with the sentiment that we don't need to go there.

But most of what I've read wasn't personal jabs so much as it was just calling out this administration for being a clusterfuck of lies, which...it is. People are frustrated and angry. They feel like they've stepped into the Twilight Zone with how much bullshit people are willing to swallow from this administration, and are beyond tired of trying to explain to Trump supporters why this administration is so horrible. So I'm not surprised that frustration would manifest in a rather acerbic routine as a result.

I'd also note that from what I've read, Wolf also had a couple zingers towards the Democrats/MSNBC/CNN, too, so it's not exactly like they escaped unscathed.
Thanks Moonlit Good to see you.
Calling out Michelle Wolf says the following: "Most political issues don't impact me. I care about civility above all else. This is really just sport to me. The thing that bothers me most about political discourse is when people aren't polite to each other and say rude things. The fact that politics is, at its core, a battle of who gets what and who doesn't is completely lost on me and doesn't enter my head on a regular basis because I live a relatively comfortable life."

Fuck civility. We need politics to be not so civil. Civility covers up the brutality of a political system that destroys lives. Lives abroad AND lives at home.
Some people over the years have said that the Democrats are too nice at times in political arguements, campaigns etc.

I, as a progressive Democrat like to think of myself (and usually act) as a considerate, deccent, nice person. I also can be mean if I chose to be. I think the Dems need to be nasty at times. Can't totally agree with our wonderful former First Lady Michelle.
Also, can we retire this "elite" bullshit? This Koch-backed couple who were all sniffy about Wolf's speech are just the worst kind of disingenuous.
Which couple was that?
it's not cruelly mocking them to their face, it's calling people, who should know better given their public position, out on their rank hypocrisy
Yup
I don’t even think we have to look past her to Trump. The woman herself is a shameless liar who knows full well what she is doing. Nobody is forcing her into this job, nobody is forcing her to repeat lies or stand there without qualms day after day. In fact she stepped into this role proudly. But if she is called a liar to her face though and looks sad about it that’s a step too far. The concern trolling is amazing. Maybe concentrate on how to get poor Sarah to evaluate her own life choices.

This.

The press core should have known what kind of comedy Wolfe, and Imus does and shouldn't expect them to behave differently, imho.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why you’re viewing it from that perspective, Peef. I simply see someone who tried to be funny and failed, and instead just managed to be crude and out-of-spirit of the event.

You brought up the Bush-Colbert one. That was actually really funny. It wasn’t merely someone firing out shade. It was so much more than that.

I remember a time when every post of support for HRC had to be qualified with “I know she’s unlikeable and possibly corrupt BUT ...”

Now she’s our sweet, wronged princess, made of glass, who might break if someone makes a mean joke.

Please.
I know I never said she was unlikable. I like her.
I sort of understand why people don't like her on purely public personality grounds.
She is similar to how Al Gore was generally in public. They both had trouble when they often much warmer and funnier either one to one or a small group setting.
And she has been so bashed for decades

I sort of understand why people don't like her on purely public personality grounds.
She is similar to how Al Gore was generally in public. They both had trouble when they often much warmer and funnier either one to one or a small group setting.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people have difficulty realizing that some people just work better and communicate better in certain settings than others. I'm a very quiet, reserved person offline. I too much prefer speaking to people one on one, or in a smaller gathering, to speaking to a large crowd. So if that's the case with Hillary and Gore to some degree, I can relate to that.

Obviously, if one wants to be president, it's important to learn how to feel more comfortable in certain settings that you may otherwise struggle with, of course, 'cause there are times you'll have to speak to large groups and be in settings where you may have to find a new method of communicating and whatnot. But I do think people also need to learn that just because somebody may be more reserved or quiet or "aloof" or whatever that that doesn't mean there's something wrong with them.

I just love how Hillary had to learn how to be more "likeable" to the public, but Trump could act like a total ass and apparently that's totally fine. Nobody was telling him he had to learn to be "likeable".

Has Donald Trump ever told the truth ?

So every time he says NO COLLUSION, i think we can all agree there was collusion.

And obstruction.

And who knows what else

Has Donald Trump ever told the truth ?

So every time he says NO COLLUSION, i think we can all agree there was collusion.

And obstruction.

And who knows what else

Yeah I never understood his approach to this. He makes himself look so guilty, and tbh I never would’ve thought he could’ve been responsible for it at first.

The funny thing is that the entire story we're hearing actually seems fairly plausible to me. Trump paid what was communicated to him as a retainer to Cohen to deal with unspecified issues, legally structured as an actual retainer on which Cohen paid income taxes. Cohen sent most of that to Stormy Daniels, paid some in taxes, and took some for himself. Cohen structured it that way so that Trump had a bizarre form of deniability if it ever came to light. Cohen was "the fixer". He told Trump he was charging him to fix problems and didn't say what there were. But it can also be tied back to a Trump payment so it feels less like a campaign finance violation, with Trump as still the upstream source of cash. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more things that were covered up similarly.

Obviously a weird relationship that looks neither Cohen nor Trump look good (not that they were ever close do doing that anyway), but it feels like a totally plausible story.

Is this sort of thing legal? I have no idea.

That is absolutely not how even the loosest of retainers work.

The President of the United States acts like a two bit mobster because he is one, has always been one, and it was obvious to anyone who paid even the slightest of attention to what he did.

I have to hand it to you for being consistent on this from day 1.

My guess now is that he’s knee deep in Russian mob shit.

Yeah I never understood his approach to this. He makes himself look so guilty

That's why I don't understand how anyone can defend him and believe him to be innocent of all the things he's being accused of. Innocent people do not act the way he's been acting.

The other obvious explanation is that his supporters do believe he's guilty, but just don't care. Which may be even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom