US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened today with this Nationalist rally was really, really terrifying to me.

Agree.

I used to think that our checks and balances would stop someone like a Trump from doing too much harm. That no one was above the law

But Trump is different. His whole life he has skirted laws and consequences.

Why will this be any different ? He became the most powerful entity on the planet and he’s running it like all of his businesses and the USFL

But what can we really do? Yes we can vote, but is there any doubt that Russia is gonna fuck with midterms or 2020? Trump has come out multiple times about being a 4 term President, and even joking about being President for life. Except I’ve never heard Donald tell an actual joke

Sorry for doom and gloom. Just so frustrating to watch so much progress start to erode

One guy at the event knelt during the anthem. A reporter asked if he could talk to him. Dude declined and left.

I'd like to buy that man a drink.

The Democrats did an uncharacteristically good job averting disaster last night in California. Thank your local party organizers when you see them.

HarmfulImmaterialIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

1f914.png

:ohmy: :lol: :crack::crack:

Omg, Dave C, I briefly looked at the Trump gif, and instead of seeing "Coordination" --
I "read" "Coronation". :yikes:

And on the 50th anniversary of Robert F Kennedy's death (by assasination, young'ins) can I say... (loudly)

I detest Trump more than ever! :scream:

:sad: :sigh:

you get what you voted for dum-dum.

Dan Moore, a 58-year-old steel mill worker, gives the president an "A+" on everything from tax cuts to foreign policy, but he's not so sure about tariffs.

"We need tariffs, but when it starts to impact the company where you work ... you're thinking, well wait a minute, timeout!" he said.

Moore is worried the tariffs might cost him his job. The mill where he works, NLMK Pennsylvania, in the town of Farrell, not far from the border with Ohio, employs 750 workers and is a subsidiary of Novolipetsk Steel, or NLMK, Russia's top steelmaker.

But even though NLMK is creating American jobs, the company is being hit with a 25 percent tariff on steel because it imports raw steel slabs from Russia before turning them into coils in Pennsylvania and then selling that steel to customers that manufacture cars or pipes, for example.

Bill Almashy, a 48-year-old crane operator at the mill, worries that NLMK might not be able to survive the tariffs.

He knows what it's like to lose a steel mill job. This is the third mill he's worked at in recent years. One of the previous mills went bankrupt, the other moved most of its jobs to Mexico. Along the way, Almashy lost his home, his pension and his 401(k).

"A lot of steel in America is gone," he said. " Basically our politicians failed us."

And so when he first heard about President Trump's tariffs, he "applauded" the president. He says he still does, but he doesn't understand why his company should get punished for importing steel.

"Even if they're foreign-owned, but they have a factory in this country and they're employing American workers, to me, that's an American company," Almashy said.

To him, exempting this Russian-owned steel mill from tariffs would be a matter of putting "America First."

And that's the crux of the debate.

Moore voted for former President Obama in 2008 and 2012, but during the last presidential election, he became enamored with Donald Trump's promise to bring back jobs and renegotiate trade deals. He thought tariffs in the abstract would be beneficial, but now that they could hurt the company where he works, he thinks the Trump administration needs to re-evaluate the idea.

"Tariffs — they may help some people, but they're gonna hurt a lot of people too. I don't know exactly how you balance that," Moore said. "Maybe it's not the right time for tariffs." Maybe, he says, the president ought to focus more on wages and jobs instead.

Moore is about to head into the mill down the road for his shift. He's wearing a dark blue work uniform shirt over his round belly and a Trump hat over his graying hair. It's a souvenir he picked up during Trump's inauguration.

Moore insists he has "no regrets" about his vote, even though he knows some might think that's strange given the precariousness of his current employment due to the very tariffs Trump introduced.

"President Trump was the better candidate," he says flatly.

Plus, he thinks the president is receptive to feedback.

"I have plans to write a letter to President Trump or maybe a personal phone call," Moore said. He believes that if he can get the president's ear, he might be able to convince him to give NLMK an exemption for the 3 million tons of semi-finished steel slabs it wants to import from Russia.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/08/617200482/trumps-tariffs-worry-a-small-steel-city-in-pennsylvania

Last edited:

The part of this argument that many on the left never include is that WE have been paying tariffs to these other countries. So we should continue to allow ourselves to be screwed in trade by these other countries? Are they getting rid of their tariffs? If course not. I despise Donald Trump, but I try to view policies separate from the person.

Obama was all about letting other countries run all over us, and us paying the bill while he bowed to them.

Fair trade is not too much to ask.

the US certainly hasn't been paying tariffs to canada without any in return. in fact there's only one party to NAFTA that wants to get rid of the agreement entirely, and it ain't us or the mexicans.

the TPP agreement (negotiated by the obama administration) was specifically intended to address these trade imbalances with pacific rim nations that you say are so unfair. remind me who ripped that agreement up literally three days after taking office?

mercantilism hasn't worked since the 1700s. this theory that international trade is some zero-sum game with winners and losers and that you need to protect what's "yours" has been disproven so many times. a rising tide raises all boats.

Last edited:
Obama was all about letting other countries run all over us, and us paying the bill while he bowed to them.

Do you know this to be true? Have you thought critically about this? Or are you merely regurgitating talking points they sound right because you would be furious oh they were actually true?

I don't know enough about tarriffs to comment specifically, but I prefer a world where we still have allies.

The part of this argument that many on the left never include is that WE have been paying tariffs to these other countries. So we should continue to allow ourselves to be screwed in trade by these other countries? Are they getting rid of their tariffs? If course not. I despise Donald Trump, but I try to view policies separate from the person.

This is so unbelievably laughable.

The fact that “conservatives” are embracing trade wars because ‘Trump’s tough Obama weak’ is just absurd.

Is that what you actually think is happening here? Or is that what you want to believe because it will make the libs mad?

I don't know enough about tarriffs to comment specifically, but I prefer a world where we still have allies.

But don’t even go so far as to say “I don’t know enough about ____.”

This notion that we were “paying the bill” for “unbalanced trade” blah blah blah is a far-fetched tale that was made up for a talking point.

Saying “well I don’t know about _____” in this case is like the same thing as me saying I have an invisible pet dragon and you responding “well I don’t know much about invisibility, but I know dragons aren’t real.”

Blerhghehwhhehegwgwh sry cori.

It wasn't meant as a direct response to Mr Frk.

So hfircjsedhrhkwnfivhebenfkdowhenf ok LN7. ;-)

There are farmers here in Iowa who aren't too thrilled about this trade war/tariff stuff, either. The agricultural economy here is going to be hit hard by Trump's stupid decisions. And this is a state that went overwhelmingly for Trump in 2016.

But hey, he sure is looking out for those working-class, rural folks, right, Republicans?

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom