US Politics VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as Trudeau says sorrrrrrie to the rest of us who didn't vote for this asshat

Idk if he will or not but it really does suck that because of trump soo many people will be effected both in the USA and outside the USA! And yet the trumpets will still continue not to give a damn since they are so blind! I can’t speak for the rest of Canada obviously but I am sorry that the people who didn’t vote for this idiot have to suffer the consequences of his stupidity! However I’m not sorry to the trumpets, they will get what they asked for.

:up:

...are you serious?

Hey, conservatives, where's your "celebrities should stay out of politics" griping now? Just curious.
:hmm: :whistle:
Yeah, really.

It's like a cartoon of someone careering down a steep street on an out of control skateboard. I really hope the US stays upright till the end of this guy's term.
so do we! :(

Yay let's start a trade war with all of our biggest allies!
I get the very best yuuuge deals!
:|

Mueller must have something coming down the pike.
:fingerscrossed:

Something earlier today related to Sessions and his recusal re: Russia. Some new bit of info that could become an "obstruction of justice " beyond what we think re:Comey.
Sorry, was too tired to retain details. :der:

Samantha Bee

Why say it if you’re just going to apologize for it. Own it!

This administration and President hasn’t apologized for a single thing, and that’s the point. It puts the pressure on the other person to do so and then the optics are said person was in the wrong and Trump is not. No apologies so how can there be something wrong ?

Feckless Crump
:up:
She appologized?!! Missed that!

Idk if he will or not but it really does suck that because of trump soo many people will be effected both in the USA and outside the USA! And yet the trumpets will still continue not to give a damn since they are so blind! I can’t speak for the rest of Canada obviously but I am sorry that the people who didn’t vote for this idiot have to suffer the consequences of his stupidity![/U] However I’m not sorry to the trumpets, they will get what they asked for.

Thanks.
It's like John Stewart's old DS segment - it was something like "Have We Hit Bottom Yet?"
---------------------------------

Kimmy K to the WH?!! geeeeez.... :huh: :|

Last edited:
I don't think it's unreasonable to say Trump's inaction in Puerto Rico that resulted in 4600 deaths is a worse American tragedy than 9/11.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say Trump's inaction in Puerto Rico that resulted in 4600 deaths is a worse American tragedy than 9/11.

i agree that it's indefensible that this happened and shameful that this isn't being talked about more, it will be a black stain on american history and specifically trump's term without a doubt. but i don't know how it can be called worse than 9/11 in any way other than direct death toll from the event itself. you can't just leave out the consequences of 9/11. i don't see this leading directly to multiple regional wars that cause hundreds of thousands more deaths, or an unending and unwinnable "war on hurricanes" for example.

i don't think hurricane katrina is an unreasonable comparison at all, but "worse ... than 9/11" is a bit of a stretch.

i agree that it's indefensible that this happened and shameful that this isn't being talked about more, it will be a black stain on american history and specifically trump's term without a doubt. but i don't know how it can be called worse than 9/11 in any way other than direct death toll from the event itself. you can't just leave out the consequences of 9/11. i don't see this leading directly to multiple regional wars that cause hundreds of thousands more deaths, or an unending and unwinnable "war on hurricanes" for example.

i don't think hurricane katrina is an unreasonable comparison at all, but "worse ... than 9/11" is a bit of a stretch.
I mean more in the sense that 9/11, the event itself, is something that was out of our control (excluding intelligence community gaffes), whereas Puerto Rico just needed resources that we could have easily given them, and we didn't, so we let our own citizens die by the thousands. It was so fucking avoidable.

There's no question 9/11 leading to war makes it a different ballgame, but that is the context in which I am thinking of things, to explain myself.

The only possible good from the Puerto Rico situation is if it leads to statehood for them. I would argue statehood for Puerto Rico and Washington DC should be one of the very first things on the table if the Dems get control of the government back in 2020.

I mean more in the sense that 9/11, the event itself, is something that was out of our control (excluding intelligence community gaffes), whereas Puerto Rico just needed resources that we could have easily given them, and we didn't, so we let our own citizens die by the thousands. It was so fucking avoidable.

There's no question 9/11 leading to war makes it a different ballgame, but that is the context in which I am thinking of things, to explain myself.

The only possible good from the Puerto Rico situation is if it leads to statehood for them. I would argue statehood for Puerto Rico and Washington DC should be one of the very first things on the table if the Dems get control of the government back in 2020.

now i see what you mean, and yea that's a fair argument to make.

if i was puerto rican who lived through that i wouldn't want a single fucking thing to do with the united states ever again, personally. i'd rather secede.

Well, that's fair too, they just need to not be in this limbo state, basically.

I don't think the US would ever let them secede, better to fight for statehood so they don't get fucked over like this again. And it's smart politics by the Democrats to pick up Puerto Rico and DC as states, in addition to being the right thing to do to give these places representation. Four more Senate seats that are likely to go blue. Win/win. Why Obama didn't do it in 2009 I'll never understand.

I wish DC statehood were so simple.

Given that GOP reps from all over try to fuck with our gun laws (illegal) and pot laws (legal, sort of) just to look tough to their constituents, I can’t even imagine the dumpster fire the GOP would start over statehood.

Rest assured, people are trying.

I could even understand incorporating it into Maryland — we’d probably gain a seat or two in Congress, and the amount of Senators would stay the same, but at least there’d be some sort of representation.

The population recently exceeded 700,000 and continues to climb (watch what happens if Amazon HQ2) comes here. That’s more than Wyoming and Vermont, and closing in on Alaska.

Sorry to go back to NFL for a minute, playing some catchup:

On a slightly different note, I am pissed that the NFL owners have given in to Trump's bullshit.

I won't be watching or buying any NFL products this year, not that anyone will notice or care.

Hey, I'm with you, and that sucks because I'm about to have a kid and was really looking forward to taking the fight to Travis when I bought it a Packers onesie, but the Packers are ESPECIALLY not getting my money this year after their president was one of the people to specifically speak up to this at the owner's meeting.

The owners decided to not allow their employees to protest at work and on the clock. Regardless of how the owners actually felt about the protest, viewership has slipped over the last few years and the protests have obviously alienated some viewers and detracted from the game. This was a unanimous business decision by owners, not caving to Trump. It was pretty clear how most owners felt about Trump's criticisms last fall.

Viewership has slipped because less people are participating in football. There's less overall interest in the sport. Viewership has been dropping long before Colin Kaepernick ever took a knee. This is a 4 year trend.

NBA players are highly outspoken, much moreso than NFL players, and viewership is up 17% year over year.

NASCAR ratings, btw? Down. As are college football ratings. As are, ya know, TV ratings as a whole.

This is what pisses me off the most. The idea that ratings were down for the NFL was a false equivalency that everyone ignores. ALL ratings are down.

now i see what you mean, and yea that's a fair argument to make.

if i was puerto rican who lived through that i wouldn't want a single fucking thing to do with the united states ever again, personally. i'd rather secede.

I also see now what you meant, Peef.

Oh, 4,000+ people died??! Suprise!!!

Anybody playing close attention over the first month or two in particular knew there had to be more than that pathetic estimate of ?46 dead. Fucking trump and team!

I'm glad the mayor of San Juan gave him some what for!

Since I live in nyc . I have have/had PR friends & professionals in my life. So far know one I know has had any deaths. But their relatives living up in mountain towns have had it very hard. :(
Our local TV & radio, including public radio keeps folks not directly involved informed.

That makes me sick.

Thanks Trump (who also likes his women young )

Hey, I'm with you, and that sucks because I'm about to have a kid and was really looking forward to taking the fight to Travis when I bought it a Packers onesie, but the Packers are ESPECIALLY not getting my money this year after their president was one of the people to specifically speak up to this at the owner's meeting.

Congrats!!! And welcome to the emotional rollercoaster that is parenting. :heart:

yep, that's garden variety incel speak. 99% of them are just lonely angry teenagers who grow out of it by the time they hit their mid 20s. but he's 37, and still proudly boasting about holding these beliefs even though he's twice married with a kid (kinda surprised the rest of the incel community hasn't told him to fuck off since he clearly can attract women). i have zero doubt that he's acted on at least one of those impulses in the past if they're that deeply held.

anyone still think "they just need to get laid" is the solution?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom