US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s pleading the 5th without pleading the 5th. His lawyers think this is wise because he is a pathological liar. They are hoping Mueller won’t subpoena him.

Not everything is so literal.

He’s pleading the 5th without pleading the 5th. His lawyers think this is wise because he is a pathological liar. They are hoping Mueller won’t subpoena him.

Under normal circumstances, I'd say refusing to speak with a special counsel, and certainly taking the 5th, would be politically devastating to any sitting President.

But Trump? Who would care? People are so solidified on their positions on him...if you love Trump it won't matter, you'll just think it's all a big, biased conspiracy to get him. And if you hate him, you don't need any more reason to. There are some independents and moderate Republicans who I guess go back and forth on him, but they mostly care about things outside of his awful personality...the economy, etc.

So I guess the question is, what's the downside to him refusing to speak with Mueller? Why should he, when it can only get him in trouble? Taking the 5th only increases his political, not legal jeopardy (in fact it helps him with the latter). Better just ride it out and take your chances with impeachment.

President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

Trump has long mused publicly and privately about wanting such a parade, but a Jan. 18 meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top secret discussions — marked a tipping point, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Surrounded by the military’s highest ranking officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joe Dunford, Trump’s seemingly abstract desire for a parade was suddenly heard as a presidential directive, the officials said.

Right

Last edited:
Showing off military via parade, people who don't clap or stand are traitors .... seriously, is this North Korea?

If this was North Korea, there wouldn't be anyone here complaining about it.

It's like the complaints about how Americans now are now living in a fascist state are generally undermined by the fact that people are complaining about living in a fascist state.

And if America were now an autocratic dictatorship, there would be no fumbling about repealing Obamacare, because it would already be gone. Dreamers? Deported. Worry about 2018 elections? None, because there wouldn't be any. And any fascist who lets SNL do what they do every week failed fascism school.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you Nick. For a moment there I thought I was actually in North Korea. Thank god you corrected me before I tried to escape to China.

Yes, thank you Nick. For a moment there I thought I was actually in North Korea. Thank god you corrected me before I tried to escape to China.

That wasn't really specifically aimed at you, just the general hysteria I've been reading online the past few days about how the US is becoming an autocratic fascist dictatorship. Your North Korea comment just reminded me of that, but I didn't mean to suggest that's what you were implying. Apologies if it came off that way.

history shows that countries that hold massive military parades to show off their power always do well in the end, like prussia and the soviet union.

Last edited:
he actually wants to pretend like he's the fucking kaiser.

i have to think that someone sane on the general staff is going to find a way to quietly stop this from actually happening. the huge waste of resources and logistical nightmare this would be for absolutely no good reason at all would be surreal.

To be fair, it sounds like his parade idea was inspired by French Bastille Day celebrations, so ....... yay?

I mean, let's still not though.

the triumphal military parade was invented by the romans and revived by napoleon, sure. but those were always celebrations of some great victory.

the provocative "enemies behold our might" style of parade is all prussian, and emulating the prussians in 2018 is really not a good look.

Last edited:
I was born in Eastern Europe and I was a child when I left but I remember these idiotic parades very well. Nothing but a giant ass rolleyes for this idea.

I know it's not a quick process by any means, but still, let's keep hoping that impeachment and removal process happens as soon as humanly possible. Or starts to, at least.

So is there any way somebody could actually stop Trump from going through with this stupid parade idea?

Who says he's actually going to do it? I've lost track of how many things he's said he was going to do but then doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom