US Politics IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll believe it when I see it (hear it on real news)!
This is the negative flip side of St Yogi's "it ain't over till it's over" mantra.
And ain't it the truth about Hillary.

BTW love your solar eclipse avi!:applaud:
(And it's his very own photo, too!)

Thank you very much my good friend!! That was the best celestial event I ever witnessed in my 20+ years of astronomy! I am glad you like it. :) I loved how the Blackout came out at around that time too! It was perfect timing for sure. :)

And yes I agree with you 100% I’ll believe it when I see it. And the bs tax thing, I hate that it passed for many obvious reasons but one of the reasons I hate it, is now you are not going to hear the end of it from trump supporters, he passed one major thing (his only one) but his base is going to think now he is a true hero for it. Grrr

Last edited:
Tweet from @realDonaldTrump: I had to fire General Flynn because he lied to the Vice President and the FBI. He has pled guilty to those lies. It is a shame because his actions during the transition were lawful. There was nothing to hide!

The moment when the President of the United States admits to obstruction of justice via tweet (and doesn't realize it).

I'll let a smarter person than me explain

Tweet from @benjaminwittes: There are a number of issues Mueller would have to resolve if there is to be any obstruction of justice case. One of them—and it’s not by any means the only one—is state of mind on Trump’s part.

Tweet from @benjaminwittes: One component of a state of mind inquiry is what precisely the President knew about Flynn’s legal jeopardy.

Tweet from @benjaminwittes: Trump just answered that question.

If he knew he lied to the FBI when he fired him, and then asked Comey to drop the investigation, and then fired him because he didn't... well, that's obstruction of justice.
Ah. So the reading of his tweet is he knew of the lying to Pence AND the lying to the FBI before asking Comey to step away?
Or is he implying he knew about lie one, he now knows about lie two, hence guilty plea is appropriate?

And why did he fire Sally Yates? It surely can’t be just because she opposed the travel ban... man trump is doing a great job at digging his own grave lol. But nothing will happen with a majority republican government. The democrats really need to clean house in 2018 for anything to happen. Impeach him first then press charges.

Well it's just that in the best of cases obstruction is a notoriously difficult charge to prove. There would have to be much more than what's publicly known. But social media is blowing up like it's "case closed" and I have no idea where they're (including the so called experts) getting this from.

Well it's just that in the best of cases obstruction is a notoriously difficult charge to prove. There would have to be much more than what's publicly known. But social media is blowing up like it's "case closed" and I have no idea where they're (including the so called experts) getting this from.
Yeah. I have no legal education or experience but I am versed in 'trial by public'. From day one this presidency has been on the brink of collapse as far as a lot of the public are concerned. But it seems there are extraordinarily high bars to cross and a willingness to cross them to remove a sitting president. Doesn't look like that's too close yet.
I'm waiting for a stampede of Republican representatives to disown Trump. That'll be a telling sign.

His aides/kids however seem more likely to be nailed.

So, now that Trump accidentally confessed to obstruction of justice on Twitter, can we finally get rid of him?

Now he's tweeted a video of himself talking about Rosa Parks. Offensive because it just rings so hollow. And because her name really shouldn't even come out of his mouth.

I have to agree it will take a lot to get rid of trump especially in a republican controlled government. The republicans don’t have enough of a spine to turn on their own even though by keeping him in office it’s doing a lot more demage to their party than by going against him. Trump could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and he will get away with it. The only way I see trump being thrown out is if the democrats win a majority government next year but even then, it will be a tough battle. But it sure doesn’t hurt that trump keeps implicating himself. Let’s just see how much guts the republican have to actually do something about it if trump continues on this path. My bet is they will keep letting him do whatever because admitting that they made a mistake is not their strong suit.

Sworn testimony is just an assertion under oath. There would have to be more than Comey's word to prove obstruction, and even if you believe Comey's recollection of the conversation (and I do), that still probably isn't enough to prove obstruction. Like I said, it's a very problematic crime to satisfy all the elements of.

I'm not sure saying "Flynn is a nice guy, I hope you can let this go" is enough. Especially since I believe Comey himself said that at the time he didn't regard it is as a directive. And Mueller isn't going to bring a case against the President of the United States unless it's rock solid. It's the same reason that Trump isn't going to be charged with any kind of chicken sh*t Logan Act stuff. That said, if Mueller can definitively prove that Trump fired Comey specifically to shut down an investigation of Flynn, there might be something there.

Of course, Trump most likely couldn't be prosecuted while he's in office anyway, so really the criminal standard doesn't apply just yet. Mueller will finish his investigation and if there's evidence the President committed a crime, including obstruction, he'll present it to the Speaker of the House and then articles of impeachment would have to be filed. And since that's a political process, not a criminal one, the bar for "proving" obstruction would be much lower.

It's interesting...in Bill Clinton's case, there were enough votes in the House for impeachment but not enough votes in the Senate to remove him from office. In this case, I think if it came to the Senate there would be the votes to remove Trump from office, but I don't think there are the votes in the House to impeach him, absent incontrovertible evidence of a genuine conspiracy (i.e. some kind of illegal quid pro quo) involving the Russians that Trump was personally involved in.

In any event, it's starting to look like 'Trump colluded with the Russians to hack the election' is probably not where this investigation is going.

Last edited:
Jimmy Kimmel monologue takedown of Roy Moore. I've never been a fan but Jimmy Kimmel became a hero of mine with his healthcare crusade because of his baby. And with this too.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/01/jimmy-kimmel-roy-moore-feud-274347

Moore having the gall to harp on about Christian values is just...wow. Shut the hell up, you creepy asshole.

And I like how he challenges Kimmel, too. What, did he actually think Kimmel would back down from responding and mocking and criticizing him even further?

I've been enjoying Kimmel calling out politicians lately, too. We need more people like him to continue making this kind of noise.

Would be great if Frankenstein resigned so we could avoid the congressional double standard.

Though, Roy accusations are much worse. Nonetheless, I fear this politicization spiraling out of control.

And I like how he challenges Kimmel, too. What, did he actually think Kimmel would back down from responding and mocking and criticizing him even further?

Kimmel going after Moore is manna from heaven for Moore.

The reason Moore responded is that he wanted to Kimmel to fire back. Moore would like nothing better than if Kimmel went after him every night. It only helps him in Alabama. If Moore wins there, he'll partially have Kimmel to thank.

Last edited:
His twitter account may end up being what does him in.

And i agree with the Kimmel / Moore angle from Nick

Moore wants the “Liberal Hollywood Elite” attacking a poor old Christian man over his values.

Kimmel going after Moore is manna from heaven for Moore.

The reason Moore responded is that he wanted to Kimmel to fire back. Moore would like nothing better than if Kimmel went after him every night. It only helps him in Alabama. If Moore wins there, he'll partially have Kimmel to thank.
At this point it doesn't matter. It helps feed the rhetoric, but I doubt anyone in AL is still on the fence about their choice.

Agree that there really aren't any "undecideds" in Alabama. But what it does do is further anger and motivate those who hate the MSM and their liberal elitist New Yorkers talking down to them. Even if they have issues with what Moore has done, this kind of thing just gives them another reason to get and and vote.

So they're not voting "for" Moore, they're voting against people like Jimmy Kimmel who mock them and their values.

I just don’t understand why anyone isn’t focusing on Crooked Hillary?????

Agree that there really aren't any "undecideds" in Alabama. But what it does do is further anger and motivate those who hate the MSM and their liberal elitist New Yorkers talking down to them. Even if they have issues with what Moore has done, this kind of thing just gives them another reason to get and and vote.

So they're not voting "for" Moore, they're voting against people like Jimmy Kimmel who mock them and their values.
I get what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree... but the guy sleeps with teenagers.

If disagreeing with that makes one an east coast elite, well, there's no winning with these people under any circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom