US Politics IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be someone "higher" than him. It could simply be another heavy hitter who had committed more serious offences. Remember, Sessions was a senior official in the transition team, as was Priebus, Bannon, Kushner & Trump Jr.

Also, simply speaking to the Russians during the transition, in itself, wouldn't be a crime. It happens regularly during a transition that members of the incoming government would begin to forge relations with international actors. The issue is...what were they talking about? Was anything discussed or agreed to that was contrary to Federal law.

And it should be mentioned that "during the transition," by definition, is after the election. Which would seem to indicate that this is going places other than Trump "colluding" with the Russians to swing the election.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah.

Reading stuff out on the interwebs, so pure speculation and could also be pure bullshit.

But the story going forward is that Trump leaves office, and starts his own party (could mean his own network which was talked about prior to the election) which would lean more nationalist than the GOP. So you'd get the really out there GOP like Roy Moore, and then your alt right leaning people.

Not sure what that would do to the current climate in politics, but is interesting to think about.

Again, pure speculation which is walking the line of bullshit

Yeah, it's hard to tell what is going on with this Flynn deal. The only thing I think we can say with reasonable certainty is that he's giving them good enough information, on an important enough person, so make such a deal worth it to the Government.

There could be charges for things that happened before election day and after. And it could end up that there's only process charges (i.e. obstruction, perjury, etc.)

I do think that if someone in Trump's family is facing indictment, including Kushner, he'll start letting the pardons fly.

Yeah, it's hard to tell what is going on with this Flynn deal. The only thing I think we can say with reasonable certainty is that he's giving them good enough information, on an important enough person, so make such a deal worth it to the Government.

There could be charges for things that happened before election day and after. And it could end up that there's only process charges (i.e. obstruction, perjury, etc.)

I do think that if someone in Trump's family is facing indictment, including Kushner, he'll start letting the pardons fly.

This is why I’m told much of this will be done through New York State — forgive my lack of legal knowledge. The idea being that Trump can only pardon people of federal charges, not state charges.

I think we're now on the 'When does Trump Fire Mueller?' watch

If Trump were smart, he'd resign as fast as possible.

And reports are coming out now that Jared made one of those decisions.

Kushner
Sessions
Pence
Trump

I think those are the remaining players that fall. Possibly Ivanka too

:pray: God, let's hope so. If all of those people wind up leaving office, I will do happy dances down my street.

If Trump were smart, he'd resign as fast as possible.

We know he's not going to do that, though. His ego wouldn't permit it. Get prepared for some epic twitter meltdowns in the wee hours of the morning. It's a wonder his handlers have contained him enough that he hasn't already publicly stated he's firing Mueller.

This is why I’m told much of this will be done through New York State — forgive my lack of legal knowledge. The idea being that Trump can only pardon people of federal charges, not state charges.

That's right about the pardons, but the New York State thing was for Manafort (and as far asI know for things unrelated to the campaign), whose already been indicted by the Feds.

We know he's not going to do that, though. His ego wouldn't permit it. Get prepared for some epic twitter meltdowns in the wee hours of the morning. It's a wonder his handlers have contained him enough that he hasn't already publicly stated he's firing Mueller.

He might resign as some form of cooperation with the investigation. He'll probably take a plea deal like the rest of them. He'll be removed from office and then he'll start up his network and cry about how the Deep State took him down.

Hence the "if he were smart" part :p.

I still think he could easily find a way to play a resignation in his favor-he knows his supporters would stand by him no matter what, so it's not like he'd have anything to lose there-but you're also quite right about his ego, too.

Whether it's by his own choice or through this investigation, though, hopefully this is a sign he'll be gone by the end of this year.

Hence the "if he were smart" part :p.

I still think he could easily find a way to play a resignation in his favor-he knows his supporters would stand by him no matter what, so it's not like he'd have anything to lose there-but you're also quite right about his ego, too.

Whether it's by his own choice or through this investigation, though, hopefully this is a sign he'll be gone by the end of this year.

A man and movement wrongly imprisoned by smooth elites is a dynamite narrative from which to launch a TV network.

Eric Schneiderman.

Federal can't pardon State

The other issue is that every offense for which you are pardoned a priori, you can't assert your Fifth Amendment rights. So in a perverse way everyone he pardons could walk but then turn on him and send his ass to jail.

I really have not been too invested in any of this, so I have no speculation where it ends.
It seems many of you think this could lead to the end of Trump’s Presidency.
If he has a one year presidency, looking back at the Trump Administration he will go out on a record of winning big league for America and the American people.

Last edited:
That's a different matter from Manfort's problems in NY though, which are related to his real estate and business activities.

Basically, the idea was that even if Trump pardoned Manafort on any potential Federal charges, New York could still put pressure on Manafort to cooperate with the Feds with threats of indictment on state charges, which obviously Trump can't protect him from.

I doubt New York is going the indicting the President of the United States. At least while he's in office. It's doubtful that the President can be prosecuted for a crime while in office (in fact he almost certainly can't be).

The remedy in a case like this is impeachment and removal from office. Then Trump would be subject to prosecution.

Last edited:
I really have not been too invested in any of this, so I have no speculation where it ends.
It seems many of you think this could lead to the end of Trump’s Presidency.
If he has a one year presidency, looking back at the Trump Administration he will go out on a record of winning big league for America and the America people.
Oh deep

Never change.

I have been watching a lot of C-SPAN last couple days, the Senate channel.
This tax vote seems to be breaking down two ways, one side seems more concerned about collecting taxes and redistributing them, and the other side seems to be more concerned about letting citizens and businesses pay less with the hope that it will generate a stronger economy with more taxes collected on more earnings.

[tweet]936626652284620800[/tweet]

2bnDCQh.gif

Oh fuck, what did I miss now.

479- page tax bill with apparently illegible handwritten notes throughout, give to them hours before the vote.

What could go wrong?

Are they just trying to cram anything through because shit's about to go down?

Ide love to say this is the end for trump but someway, somehow he seems to get away with so much shit that I just don’t know anymore. How many times have we said it’s over for trump? And how many times have we been wrong? Imagine if Clinton was president and she did just a tenth of what trump did, the republicans would have had a firing squad on her by now!

Ide love to say this is the end for trump but someway, somehow he seems to get away with so much shit that I just don’t know anymore. How many times have we said it’s over for trump? And how many times have we been wrong? Imagine if Clinton was president and she did just a tenth of what trump did, the republicans would have had a firing squad on her by now!
I'll believe it when I see it (hear it on real news)!
This is the negative flip side of St Yogi's "it ain't over till it's over" mantra.
And ain't it the truth about Hillary.

BTW love your solar eclipse avi!:applaud:
(And it's his very own photo, too!)

Oh fuck, what did I miss now.

479- page tax bill with apparently illegible handwritten notes throughout, give to them hours before the vote.

What could go wrong?

Are they just trying to cram anything through because shit's about to go down?
:hug: cori
Have not heard the very latest b c I've been out, but the Tax Bill gives me the shudders! Trickle down bullshit yet again!:angry:
The end isn't here.

But it's coming.
Hooo boy I hope so - BUT Prez Ryan gives me the shudders too!!! :yikes: If that's how the succession down the line works, and all above him fall off the ladder, so to speak.

Last edited:
pence isn't going anywhere. if trump is impeached or resigns everything in washington is going to calm down, relatively speaking, pretty fast. the country will be sick of this insane sort of politics, if it happens soon (no telling what could happen in a year or two).

the guy almost certainly isn't going to try to start a nuclear war because he woke up cranky, so personally i'm okay with pence in a sense (ba dum tish), but i realize i'm also saying that as a white male (and also a canadian lol) so i totally get why a lot of people are worried about the potential of an efficient GOP controlled government under pence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom