US Politics IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eeew, mc. :hug:
Glad nothing worse happened!
Some of those "holier than thou" are not so much so. :|

yeah definitely "eeeew" haha

the most infuriating thing was how some of them tried to use the bible or their very own "special hotline to God" to control women and teenage girls, by saying things like "God has told me i'm going to marry you" and "you don't need to bother with school because you're going to be a pastor's wife" - this happened to a few girls who looked like they were getting too clever or feisty or thinking for themselves, well me and a handful of my friends, but thankfully we all had the sense to rebel and say "in your dreams assholes" LOL

sadly there was no support for us girls back then, as our parents were in the church and total sheep and in some ways manipulated by these guys, so we had to rely on our wit and instincts to stay safe and get the hell out of there, which i did as soon as i could leave home and go as far away as i could then to study

i think that's probably why i am allergic to organised religion, especially of the "evangelical" kind

yeah definitely "eeeew" haha

the most infuriating thing was how some of them tried to use the bible or their very own "special hotline to God" to control women and teenage girls, by saying things like "God has told me i'm going to marry you" and "you don't need to bother with school because you're going to be a pastor's wife" - this happened to a few girls who looked like they were getting too clever or feisty or thinking for themselves, well me and a handful of my friends, but thankfully we all had the sense to rebel and say "in your dreams assholes" LOL

sadly there was no support for us girls back then, as our parents were in the church and total sheep and in some ways manipulated by these guys, so we had to rely on our wit and instincts to stay safe and get the hell out of there, which i did as soon as i could leave home and go as far away as i could then to study

i think that's probably why i am allergic to organised religion, especially of the "evangelical" kind

Huh. You experienced this a world away from me but I could have written the same words (albeit I'm a guy, but witnessed this over and over).

Organised religion is like the plague. It had its place a long time ago but should be inoculated against now.

Oh, I am a class act

sometimes :shifty: :D

I often enjoy the southern lilt. After 5 days Altanta, Georgia I was talking like that for a few days on return, and my friend's friends wanted me to "talk Yankee" for them.
When I was way younger (and you'll still hear it) a lot of then middle-aged or older Afro-Americans I'd hear on public transit had a southern accent because either they had moved North, or they were kids when their patents moved up and they picked it up from them.

But a bastard like Sessions needs o be made fun of just about any which way.

I really don't think it's cool to mock people on their personal characteristics. That's what Trump does. It's one of the many reasons he's classless.

Would you mock the dialect of an African American or Latino member of Congress? What would you think of someone who did?

Last edited:
Huh. You experienced this a world away from me but I could have written the same words (albeit I'm a guy, but witnessed this over and over).

ah crap, yeah i think it was/is very widespread sadly...

thankfully not all the lads were like that at all - was just a few predators that tainted it - most of the boys were complete sweethearts and i'm still in touch with some old friends to this day (although mostly the naughty backslidden ones aside from one or two who still identify as "christians", but who are lovely people)

jeesus it's all flooding back - i remember two of my friends were sisters and really beautiful, but as early teenagers they were banned from sitting on the front row as they were "distracting" the elders who would sit in a row on the stage looking out to the congregation - it makes me feel so angry thinking about it - fucking extremists, always have to pick on girls

I really don't think it's cool to mock people on their personal characteristics. That's what Trump does. It's one of the many reasons he's classless.

Would you mock the dialect of an African American or Latino member of Congress? What would you think of someone who did?

oh please. :rolleyes: we rip on the way aussies and canadians speak all the time and nobody gets upset even though those people are personally present for the mocking and jokes.

why the fuck are you rushing to the defense of jeff sessions anyways? eww.

Last edited:
oh please. :rolleyes: we rip on the way aussies and canadians speak all the time and nobody gets upset even though those people are personally present for the mocking and jokes.

why the fuck are you rushing to the defense of jeff sessions anyways? eww.

It's a special kind of stupid to think my comment was a defense of Sessions.

And the "ripping" we do of Aussies or Canadians is done in a good natured way. I don't think that was the intent there.

But by all means, go into a minority neighboorhood and play your little accent game with people there and see how many friends you make.

And why are you defending the way Trump mock's people's personal characteristics anyway? eeew.

Last edited:
calling me stupid is definitely a lot less obnoxious and rude than imitating a famous person's accent and totally not hypocritical in any way. :up:

Hey man, all I did was say maybe we shouldn't be mocking people's personal characteristics (like Trump).

For some reason, you then accused me of "defending" Jeff Sessions. Now THAT's trolling (which isn't allowed on this forum, BTW).

well, i reported your post for a personal attack and a lame attempt at trolling, so feel free to report mine as well and we'll see what diemen thinks about it. i'm not too concerned.

Isn't falsely accusing someone of defending the loathed Jeff Sessions a "personal attack"? I mean, you flat out lied.

And you're upset that I regard such a stupid conclusion as, well, stupid? Seriously, you falsely accuse me of something like that and are just so preciously upset that I pushed back?

Grow up mate. If you can't take it then don't dish it out. Or at least think twice before you jsut make sh*t up.

Last edited:
LOL...you lied about something I said, I responded, correctly, that your accusation was stupid and you responded with a personal attack. That should have been the end of it....I'm not going to run to the mods over such a lame thing, I'll leave that to you.

So let me get this straight. You make up stuff, and just expect people to take it. And when they do respond, you run to the mods. Is that how it works? You say I'm "defending Sessions", throw another personal insult, and suggest that when I respond to it's "trolling". And I'm supposed stay silent while you waste the mods time. LOL. Grow up.

My feelings are just fine mate. Again, you dish it out but you can't take it.

Bring on the mods and cry havoc the dogs of war!!!! PM me when they get here, I've had enough battle for one day!

Last edited:
Fyi...

Though you all might like this.
At the APEC conference, Trump and other leaders are waiting to be introduced at the gala dinner. Trump points to New Zealand's newly elected Prime Minister (Jacinda Ardern, very left, liberal, 37-year-old woman who publicly professed her disgust with Trump during the NZ election) and says to the person next to him "This lady caused a lot of upset in her country" - by being elected.
Ardern's response? She laughed and said "Well, you know, no one marched when I was elected."

Apparently Trump took it in good humour.

That’s enough, Nick. We all know you have a gift for extending minor disagreements into pages-long back-and-forth, tit-for-tat sniping, but don’t start up again in here, please.

For the record - and this should be obvious: objecting to people making fun of a person’s accent is in no way equivalent to defending the beliefs and/or conduct of that person.

Move along, everyone.

That’s enough, Nick. We all know you have a gift for extending minor disagreements

We all have to use our gifts!

But yes, I leave the echo chamber in peace, and will away.

I do wonder, though...how can turn a disagreement into a pages long back and forth, when it takes two to tango? I'm pretty sure DaveC has just as many posts here as I do (not to mention BVS's usual helpful interjection!).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom