US Politics IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Orangeoropa, turns out is a pathological liar. So I wouldn’t put too much stock in his pov, who knows how much was real or character. He tried to play ignored rust belt sympathizer in here, he played Alex Jones loving conspiracy theorist on Reddit, he’d send me pm(s) that said one thing but he’d say something else in here. There was nothing sincere or honest about him.

AEON, eventually ousted himself as a true supremacist. I don’t know if he was uncomfortable with that revelation, embarrassed, or maybe it was the first time he dealt with that straight on, but I think he voluntarily showed himself out.

Last edited:
Why so defensive Vlad? The "fascist sympathising perspective" encompasses tens of millions of people in the US, more around the rest of the world. None of whom I know personally. You think it's healthier for me or anyone else to not understand the alternative view, however much I might dislike/disagree with it?
Are they all horrible people? Are they all child abusers, or sadists, or rascists, or homophobes? Yes there are some fucked up views, as I see it. Some truly are despicable. Most, I suspect, are decent people who would be as human and compassionate to me or my family in a moment of need as any democrat.
Perhaps you could enlighten me with the benefits of living in an echo chamber?
Orangutan was outed as an actual white nationalist via Reddit, and after good banning he attempted (a failing attempt) to get the trolls at /thedonald to food the forum.

I do wish that we can get rid of this utter disgrace of a man that we call President so we can try to get back to some semblance of actual discussion.

There are many here who are more moderate to even right leaning... but it does seem that there only ones who can actually present a defense of this administration tend to be racist assholes. Because it takes one to defend one.

Wasn’t Orgieporgieopia also posting on reddit about being attracted to a 14 year old cousin? Like he was in on creepy shit before we knew that his ilk thought pedophiles were cool.

Perhaps you could enlighten me with the benefits of living in an echo chamber?

I learned many moons ago that this place is hostile to alternate opinions. I'm a card carrying union member and teacher(so I should be liberal right?) , as well as a 2nd Amendment believing outdoorsman. I'm what some would call a blue dog moderate, but don't bother to engage here because of the echo chamber. There is a genuine hostility towards members of the center to right leaving political persuasion here that has driven off many who have posted here over the years. Diversity of thought is not welcomed here.

I learned many moons ago that this place is hostile to alternate opinions. I'm a card carrying union member and teacher(so I should be liberal right?) , as well as a 2nd Amendment believing outdoorsman. I'm what some would call a blue dog moderate, but don't bother to engage here because of the echo chamber. There is a genuine hostility towards members of the center to right leaving political persuasion here that has driven off many who have posted here over the years. Diversity of thought is not welcomed here.

I mean... my philosophy is to just think what I want to think anyways. It's the internet. Everyone is a tough guy. You have to put your foot on the ground.

Hi.

I consider myself a centrist, and have many areas where I lean right.

I've been here for years.

Maybe don't be so sensitive?

To be clear, Aeon has not been banned.

Yes, it's tough being a conservative here. However, I think some people are conflating anti-racism/sexism/xenophobia/homophobia with anti-conservatism. They're not the same (at least they don't have to be). But if your arguments and your politics don't work without resorting to racism, sexism, xenophobia and/or homophobia, then, yes, you're not welcome here. If you're discovered to have been intentionally trolling the forum, then you're not welcome here. I, and the rest of the mod team, make no apologies for that.

Hi.

I consider myself a centrist, and have many areas where I lean right.

I've been here for years.

Maybe don't be so sensitive?
I don't feel I'm sensitive at all. I teach US Government so I'm always trying to understand multiple perspectives and can play devils advocate and argue for or against my own perspective with ease. Maybe I am wrong, but this forum seems to really drive out(through labeling and the good old fashioned pile on) anyone who doesn't have left leaning perspectives.

To be clear, Aeon has not been banned.

Yes, it's tough being a conservative here. However, I think some people are conflating anti-racism/sexism/xenophobia/homophobia with anti-conservatism. They're not the same (at least they don't have to be). But if your arguments and your politics don't work without resorting to racism, sexism, xenophobia and/or homophobia, then, yes, you're not welcome here. If you're discovered to have been intentionally trolling the forum, then you're not welcome here. I, and the rest of the mod team, make no apologies for that.
But thats just the thing. A left leaning forum and left leaning moderators can and do resort to labeling racist, sexist etc, which quickly shuts down the conversation.

But thats just the thing. A left leaning forum and left leaning moderators can and do resort to labeling racist, sexist etc, which quickly shuts down the conversation.
The problem is the right has a rather large problem with racists right now.

Trump has been a game changer. He's brought the worst parts of the right to the forefront. It's near impossible to have a logical debate about issues without first acknowledging the fittest most high energy elephant ever in the room.

I like this game

23032587_1803325786362882_6595025664803468830_n.jpg

Yeah that one was just a troll. I actually got a lot out of hearing Oregoropa's observations, and others with similar views. I never saw anything abusive etc from him. .

Seriously? Maybe head on out to Reddit where he is still to this day posting vile, revolting things about people of colour, women, etc.

Why should those of us who are not straight, white Christian men have to give a platform to that sort of a voice? Sorry, not sorry.

There's really no defensiveness in my post. Oreganoropa was found on Reddit and it demonstrated that he had blatant far-right views - whilst crying about how this board is largely liberal leaning. Others can effectively elaborate more on this. AEON, added very little to the discourse other than making excuses for fascists and refusing to condemn them in any real way. We can see these views all over the internet, what is the value of having them here? That some of us don't want this shit here does not suggest we're living in some 'echo chamber', I don't see eye to eye with many of the folks here but the discussion is much more worthwhile when there is unanimous agreement on basic points (general anti-racism/sexism etc. pro-LGBT rights) - instead of wasting time with someone who simply won't denounce fascism.

What's a fascist?

Seriously? Maybe head on out to Reddit where he is still to this day posting vile, revolting things about people of colour, women, etc.

Why should those of us who are not straight, white Christian men have to give a platform to that sort of a voice? Sorry, not sorry.

Heading on out to reddit is something I haven't done nor will I do. So it seems the depth of perspective a lot of you have managed to form on oregoropa significantly outweighs mine.
Just to be clear, my thoughts on people posting/thinking/acting on vile revolting things about any group of people are unambiguous. I've voted against it, marched against it, campaigned against it, written against it as a journalist and columnist. I fucking hate it.
I don't want a platform to that voice. And without reddit or oregoropa's pms, I didn't see evidence of that.
And as I stated earlier, my perspective is different to most of you, being so far removed geographically and politically.
You, anitram, write with such impressive understanding of all sorts of things legal, political, humanitarian and more. My career is in journalism and it's taught me there is virtually never one black and white correct position in any political argument. Except with hate - and the things you list are hate. And i abhor them. But I wasn't here for the oregoropa reddit reveal.

Diemen, thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
Trump picked a big pharma guy (Eli Lilly) to head HHS. He says he'll be a star for better health care and lower drug prices. Yeah, big pharma people are all about that. Seems counterintuitive to me, but who am I to question. His instincts all seem spot on so far...

What's a fascist?

I actually had a rather strange dream last night that I was a fascist and then I kept getting murdered by various members of Antifa. True story. (Yes, part of the dream was getting murdered multiple times but essentially being resurrected each time.)

For the record, I am not a fascist.

I actually had a rather strange dream last night that I was a fascist and then I kept getting murdered by various members of Antifa. True story. (Yes, part of the dream was getting murdered multiple times but essentially being resurrected each time.)

For the record, I am not a fascist.

Were they those rumoured Antifa 'supersoldiers' the far right were freaking out about? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom