US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you playing the "what about" game that Irvine despises so much? Why can't you just accept that antifa is a violent hate group on the grounds that it is both violent and hateful.

It's funny how you suggest that the left is exaggerating the extent and influence of white nationalism and then comment on antifa as if they're the real problem.

It's funny how you suggest that the left is exaggerating the extent and influence of white nationalism and then comment on antifa as if they're the real problem.

I truly don't believe antifa is the real problem, only that they are a real problem.

I think white supremacists' lives matter, in the theological and humanistic sense. But that doesn't mean that they might not need to be opposed forcefully, should the situation warrant. I certainly hope not, but peace-loving people who respect the laws of liberty do have the right to protect themselves and their way of life.

Can we talk for a minute about how Trump is willing to/happy to shut down the government because the Democrats (who have no power whatsoever) want to block funding for the wall which Mexico was supposed to pay for? So he is willing to shut down the government until the American citizens pony up for this wall that most of them don't want and which they expected not to pay for?

Heckuva job, Republicans. :applaud:

Can we talk for a minute about how Trump is willing to/happy to shut down the government because the Democrats (who have no power whatsoever) want to block funding for the wall which Mexico was supposed to pay for? So he is willing to shut down the government until the American citizens pony up for this wall that most of them don't want and which they expected not to pay for?

Heckuva job, Republicans. :applaud:
There are already is a wall. President Clinton expanded it during his term and Senator Hillary Clinton also voted for expanding it during her time in office.

This is about continuing the work the Clintons started.

Are you suggesting their lives do not matter? Because the racist tag has been applied very "liberally" in here over the last decade. Even in this thread, it's been suggested that white people are racist simply for being white.

No one ever has suggested you're racist simply for being white.

This is a Breitbart move.

Are you playing the "what about" game that Irvine despises so much? Why can't you just accept that antifa is a violent hate group on the grounds that it is both violent and hateful.

Are you serious?

There are already is a wall. President Clinton expanded it during his term and Senator Hillary Clinton also voted for expanding it during her time in office.

This is about continuing the work the Clintons started.

Let's pretend that we all accept this as fact for a second.

Did Trump, or did he not, run EXPLICITLY ON THE PREMISE that Mexico will pay for the wall?

If hating nazis and fascists is wrong I don't want to be right. I'm not a fan of some of the violent tactics that some antifa members use, but I like that they oppose nazis and white supremacists.

Let's pretend that we all accept this as fact for a second.

Did Trump, or did he not, run EXPLICITLY ON THE PREMISE that Mexico will pay for the wall?

I honestly don't think anyone took him serious on who would pay for it. They just want it completed. Just like the Clintons. I don't see why you have a problem with this.

Last edited:
No one ever has suggested you're racist simply for being white.
Yes, indeed it has been suggested. The very concept of this unseen force of white privilege relies on this to be true. That white people, at a minimum, are passively racist.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed it has been suggested. The very concept of this unseen force of white privilege relies on this to be true. That white people, at a minimum, are passively racist.

You clearly don't understand what white privilege means.

Which is pretty white privileged of you.

I'm not a fan of some of the violent tactics that some antifa members use...

Curious, you say that you are not a fan of "some" of the violent tactics that "some" antifa members use - which violent tactics do you support? The burning of property? The urine bombs? The rock throwing? The bike lock to the head tactic? Which violent tactics are "okay" and which ones are "not okay?"

Curious, you say that you are not a fan of "some" of the violent tactics that "some" antifa members use - which violent tactics do you support? The burning of property? The urine bombs? The rock throwing? The bike lock to the head tactic? Which violent tactics are "okay" and which ones are "not okay?"

Maybe the protecting of clergy (including Cornell West) who were saved by charging, armed Nazis because the Charlottesville PD weren't doing their jobs.

Also, they haven't killed anyone. Can't say the same about the very fine people you seem to think exist on that side.

I really love Rebecca Solnit. She just posted this on FB:

"Why let the right and status quo make antifa something we all have to debate/condemn /justify?

People keep speaking as though they are some huge liability we must wipe away, but they only are if we take the bait. Why not just blithely say, oh yeah, who isn't anti-fascist besides fascists, and those people in the confrontations, some doing good stuff, some maybe other stuff, not really the big issue of our time, and also did you notice a woman killed with a car and a man beaten half to death for being black and thousands upon thousand of other black people killed for being black over the last little while and also, could we talk about gender violence for, i don't know, 500 years, because that would start to cover how awful it is except that we also need to talk about climate change as violence and a stolen election?

If you let them set the priorities, you've already lost.

Whose approval are you seeking? Whose do you need? It's also a way they're saying the left has to be 100% nonviolent to earn a cookie from people not doing much to denounce the KKK, Nazis, the NRA gun cult, misogynistic violence, homophobic violence, transphobic violence, environmental violence, economic violence, etc. When all that violence gets condemned, the right has a leg to stand on, but it won't be the right any more."

I think white supremacists' lives matter, in the theological and humanistic sense. But that doesn't mean that they might not need to be opposed forcefully, should the situation warrant. I certainly hope not, but peace-loving people who respect the laws of liberty do have the right to protect themselves and their way of life.
I agree, everyone in this country (on earth actually...) has a right to self-defense.

They are only a problem for those who are/wish to protect fascists.
Define fascism for us...I think it is only fair that everyone knows what Vlad's definition of fascism is...so that those protecting free speech (including fascist free speech) are not surprised when they are whacked across the head with a bike lock or drenched in urine....

Last edited:
Last edited:
I honestly don't think anyone took him serious on who would pay for it. They just want it completed. Just like the Clintons. I don't see why you have a problem with this.

Yes, people are still taking it seriously. And where did the Clintons say that?

False. Completely false.

Wrong.

And hey, I'm with you on the idea that the phrase "white privilege" doesn't play well with the poor working class whites of middle America, and that the left needs to stop tossing it around in national elections and come up with another way of getting their point across.

But just because I think that the optics of the phrase hurts the left doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And if anything, the idea that the optics of the phrase hurts the left is an example of white privilege, especially when you consider the vile, hateful things that have been coming from the right.

Define fascism for us...I think it is only fair that everyone knows what Vlad's definition of fascism is...so that those protecting free speech (including fascist free speech) are not surprised when they are whacked across the head with a bike lock or drenched in urine....

Shall we tally up all the incidents of white supremacist violence against minorities? Do you really think that antifa even comes anywhere close?

I see the antifa as a reaction to fascists and white supremacists. If everyone was treated equally, regardless of colour, creed, race or religion, and if people stop seeing equality as a loss of their rights or status in society, then the need for a resistance group like the antifa will no longer be there.

I'm sure AEON thought that Nelson Mandela and his supporters were terrorists like antifa. After all, they were violent. And there was violence on BOTH SIDES.

With respect to the wall, I don't understand, AEON, why you'd make an idiot of yourself contorting into a pretzel arguing on behalf of a piece of shit like Trump. Really quite bizarre.

I see the antifa as a reaction to fascists and white supremacists. If everyone was treated equally, regardless of colour, creed, race or religion, and if people stop seeing equality as a loss of their rights or status in society, then the need for a resistance group like the antifa will no longer be there.

Indeed, that's exactly why they exist. Antifa aim to protect the vulnerable from those who seek to harm them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom