US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't vote for President Obama, but I did give him respect for his position.
President Obama didn't call Mexicans rapists. President Obama didn't call white supremacists good people. President Obama didn't collude with Russia. President Obama didn't pardon a racist the day a hurricane bit because of ratings. Trump doesn't deserve respect. He's trash.

Also, the unnecessary capitalisation of 'Antifa' is incredibly amusing to me for whatever reason.

There is no moral equivalency.

Take away politics, policy, and party.

One had the decorum expected of the office. The other is a man child that attacks women on their looks on social media, lies about the smallest things, talks about himself and how he won the election 10 months later as a major city is in despair, attacks his own party for not blindly following the king, and constantly tweets stories that are sucking up to him while calling anything less "fake".

If he doesn't respect the office, why should anyone else?

Respect is earned.

Calling Trump trash is an insult to trash.

I didn't like George Bush either and he made some truly terrible decisions that haunt us to this day. But even he (mostly) had the decorum appropriate for the office he held.

Trump has the maturity of a pre-teen boy and the self-control of a toddler. Hell, even my 22-month-old, when told he can't use the iPhone understands and in his simple terms says "night night phone". Trump can't even be expected to achieve that level of control with his tweeting.

What an embarrassment. You have to have some sort of blinders on not to be ashamed of him. A solid 2/3 of your country is, so....

The other is a man child that attacks women on their looks on social media

Man, I remember watching Obama's farewell speech, listening to the touching way he praised Michelle and his daughters, and seeing the clear love and respect he had for them...

...and the whole time, I just kept thinking, "And we're going to be following this gentleman with an obnoxious guy who has a really creepy obsession with women bleeding and ranks their looks on a scale and mocks them online? Seriously?" Talk about your massive downgrades.

Echoing the others' sentiments about why it's impossible to respect Trump, and Headache's comment about respecting the office itself, too.

So Trump has basically shown how he can fuck over the Russia investigation with his use of pardons. Not that this was a secret before but why would Flynn, Manafort, Etc sweat any pressure from prosecutors when they know they can get pardoned ?

So Trump has basically shown how he can fuck over the Russia investigation with his use of pardons. Not that this was a secret before but why would Flynn, Manafort, Etc sweat any pressure from prosecutors when they know they can get pardoned ?

Quite a lot has been written on this in legal blogs and journals.

The main issue with him using a blanket pardon (a la Nixon) is that once they are pardoned, they can no longer invoke the fifth amendment, meaning that they can be compelled to testify against Trump himself since they no longer have a legal reason not to.

Another argument I've seen bandied about which I'm not sure has great legs to stand on is that pardoning them is in itself an act of obstruction of justice.

If he pardons them and Americans don't flood the streets in the tens of millions and participate in civil disobedience 24/7 then your country really is lost forever and no better than the banana republics around the world.

In addition to what Anitram stated, there is also this small thing that state-level crimes are found to have been committed (say state tax fraud or something like that). And Trump can only pardon for federal crimes, not state crimes (that is up to the governor of the state). So that might mean those people still can go to prison for quite some time.

If he pardons them and Americans don't flood the streets in the tens of millions and participate in civil disobedience 24/7 then your country really is lost forever and no better than the banana republics around the world.

The Democrats have pardoned far worse. Relax, We will survive.

... for the record, I'm not a fan of the presidential pardon

white supremacist lives matter.

Are you suggesting their lives do not matter? Because the racist tag has been applied very "liberally" in here over the last decade. Even in this thread, it's been suggested that white people are racist simply for being white.

Yeah.

Pretty marked difference between how the left is reacting to this vs how you all reacted to Charlottesville.

Are you playing the "what about" game that Irvine despises so much? Why can't you just accept that antifa is a violent hate group on the grounds that it is both violent and hateful.

Are you playing the "what about" game that Irvine despises so much? Why can't you just accept that antifa is a violent hate group on the grounds that it is both violent and hateful.

That wasn't whataboutism. That was a comparison between two like things.

POLITICO

Mueller teams up with New York attorney general in Manafort probe

The cooperation is the latest sign that the investigation into Trump's former campaign manager is intensifying.

ByJOSH DAWSEY

08/30/2017 07:26 PM EDT

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team is working with New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on its investigation into Paul Manafort and his financial transactions, according to several people familiar with the matter.

The cooperation is the latest indication that the federal probe into President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman is intensifying. It also could potentially provide Mueller with additional leverage to get Manafort to cooperate in the larger investigation into Trump’s campaign, as Trump does not have pardon power over state crimes.

The two teams have shared evidence and talked frequently in recent weeks about a potential case, these people said. One of the people familiar with progress on the case said both Mueller’s and Schneiderman’s teams have collected evidence on financial crimes, including potential money laundering.

No decision has been made on where or whether to file charges. “Nothing is imminent,” said one of the people familiar with the case.

Whatabout not being able to pardon someone charged on the state level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom