US Politics - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
What are the thoughts on North Korea in here? The world has kind of just ignored them to the point that these little outbursts don't seem too serious.

I know they don't have the technology to do a lot of damage (supposedly) at the moment, so it could all be just a show.

I don't want a war, but I really think it's time Russia and China starts putting more pressure on them. If NK does somehow do some real damage, that hurts everyone. Not just the West. I would think it's in everyone's best interest to not let NK keep doing what they're doing.

And if they don't, regardless of Trump being in charge (or anyone else) I would not be that upset with us using military action.

Eventually NK will hurt another country.
Simply put, it's absolutely necessary to understand the history of the US in Korea to get a better judgment of the situation. The 'NK want to bring havoc to the world' narrative is very simplistic, and you can acknowledge that whilst recognising the North Korean state must be opposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollDawgie View Post
Wrong way to "defend" a statue of Lee. I don't view Lee as having anything to do with white supremacy. He was a great general, even though he fought for the wrong side. Did he own
slaves? They totally lost me with the "Russia is our friend" comment.
I would have thought 'all white lives matter' would have been the slogan that 'lost' you, no?

Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #107
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Simply put, it's absolutely necessary to understand the history of the US in Korea to get a better judgment of the situation. The 'NK want to bring havoc to the world' narrative is very simplistic, and you can acknowledge that whilst recognising the North Korean state must be opposed.

I would have thought 'all white lives matter' would have been the slogan that 'lost' you, no?
Nope.
I'm still confused over the "Russia is our friend" comment bit. That came out of left field, it seems.
Nothing wrong with Russia being our friend, but what does that have to do with a statue of Lee?

Old 05-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
I don't have a problem with Lee resigning his post to fight for the South.
The slavery issue was not the main issue regarding the Civil War.
The South felt they were being squeezed economically by the North.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... yea, no.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... yea, no.
Love the juxtaposition of that with 'actually, my uncle said Erwin Rommel was good ...'
Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 AM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:12 PM
How lovely:

Quote:
Noreika’s transition from representing banks to overseeing them came courtesy of a quick two-step. He was made “first deputy” at the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, a designation that ensured he would ascend to the top job once it opened. Then the administration ousted Thomas Curry...Just like that, Noreika became acting comptroller. While the OCC says Noreika has mitigated potential conflicts, there’s been no public disclosure of an ethics agreement or his former clients.

[...]

While he serves as the head of the office, Noreika will be classified as a “special government employee,” which means he doesn’t need to sign an ethics pledge so long as he’s in the job fewer than 130 days in a 365-day period. As for his potential replacement, Mnuchin has reportedly recommended Joseph Otting, who served as the C.E.O. of OneWest Bank—the infamous subprime mortgage lender turned foreclosure machine that was recently chaired by—wait for it—Steven Mnuchin.

The White House Just Used a Brazen Backdoor Move to Bypass the Senate | Vanity Fair
Old 05-15-2017, 03:41 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Love the juxtaposition of that with 'actually, my uncle said Erwin Rommel was good ...'

Erwin Rommel was no saint, but he is widely known for preserving what little humanity a military general can have. He was no nazi in the sense of war crimes or crimes against humanity.

That doesn't make him a "good" guy, but it makes him as good as any other nationalist who thinks it's their "duty" to fight for their country.

Comparing Robert E. Lee to Rommel is unfair to Rommel. Again, the American love for Lee in the south is nothing but romanticism with history. It's quite frequently a white nationalist's outlet to praise Lee.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Erwin Rommel was no saint, but he is widely known for preserving what little humanity a military general can have. He was no nazi in the sense of war crimes or crimes against humanity.

That doesn't make him a "good" guy, but it makes him as good as any other nationalist who thinks it's their "duty" to fight for their country.

Comparing Robert E. Lee to Rommel is unfair to Rommel. Again, the American love for Lee in the south is nothing but romanticism with history. It's quite frequently a white nationalist's outlet to praise Lee.
I agree. It could be very well that all I've read about Lee comes from a "romantic"
view of the Old South. If that's the case, I need to read more and get my facts
straight. These posts have opened my eyes a bit. I'm not a Confederate supporter
by any means. My ancestors fought for the Union. I had one ancestor that died
in Andersonville Prison.

As for Rommel. I agree he was not a "good" guy. He was caught up in that nationalist spirit like almost everybody else in Germany. My uncle still had
that streak in him with his belief he was better than anybody else.
As bad guy goes and as an enemy, Rommel was respected even by Allies.

I had a Homer "Doh!" moment. I should've realized it makes perfect sense
as to why white nationalists would rally around Gen. Lee and the Confederacy.
It was the Confederacy that brought us the KKK. So, yep the "stars and bars"
flag. romantic view of the Old South where the "blacks" knew their place...
I can see how that would attract white racists.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Lee resigning his post to fight for the South.
The slavery issue was not the main issue regarding the Civil War.
The South felt they were being squeezed economically by the North.
"The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution — African slavery as it exists amongst us — the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the "storm came and the wind blew."

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition. [Applause.] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

- Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of America, March 21, 1861
Old 05-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

How much money is Russia giving to far right hate groups? How many GOP politicians have they bought with laundered money? How much are they enjoying our present state of chaos and disorder? Are there overarching political goals beyond Crimea, NATO, and sanctions? Is there an essential nihilism at Putin's core? Is this to prove that the West is no better?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #115
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
How much money is Russia giving to far right hate groups? How many GOP politicians have they bought with laundered money? How much are they enjoying our present state of chaos and disorder? Are there overarching political goals beyond Crimea, NATO, and sanctions? Is there an essential nihilism at Putin's core? Is this to prove that the West is no better?
I can only address your third question: *Very much so*

Old 05-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
I can only address your third question: *Very much so*

Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #117
War Child

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Breaking news story from the Washington Post, Trump shared top level intelligence about ISIS with the Russians last week. Just beyond belief now, he can't last much longer.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:03 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie

he will last all 4 years

the gop will not break party over country
Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Washington Post - Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador
Old 05-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie

At least foreign governments had to pay for classified information with the Clinton Foundation right?????

Trump just gives it out for free. Best deals my ass.