US Offers Israel $10 Billion in Economic Aid - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:57 PM
US Offers Israel $10 Billion in Economic Aid

From the BBC:

Quote:
US military aid is a fashion accessory in Tel Aviv
The US has offered $10bn (6.4bn) to Israel, to bail it out of the worst economic crisis in its history.
Israel's Finance Ministry said the package consisted of $1bn (640,000m) in direct military aid and $9bn in loan guarantees.

The 30-month-long Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation and the global economic slowdown have plunged the country into its third year of recession.

Israel - the biggest recipient of US aid worldwide - initially asked for $4bn (2.5bn) in military aid and $8bn in loan guarantees.

The US will deduct from the loan guarantees any Israeli expenditure on settlement activities in Palestinian areas.

The package, which is part of President George W Bush's war budget, still needs approval by the US Congress.

Economic troubles

US National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice pledged the aid to Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday.

"Rice told Netanyahu that the (Bush) administration decided to raise the amount of the guarantees by $1bn over what had been planned because the Americans were impressed by the economic plan that has been presented to the government," Israel's finance ministry said in a statement.

Israel's economy contracted by 1% in 2002 after a 0.9% fall in 2001 and the budget deficit is running at 6%, twice the forecast for 2003.

Mr Netanyahu on Monday announced government spending cuts and reductions in the public sector wage to rein in the budget deficit.

Israel already receives $3bn a year from the US, mostly as military aid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression the US economy was nothing to write home about. Not to mention, if Israel needs economic aid, then why are they asking for $4 billion for the military? And it's OK that Africa gets $2 billion next year for AIDS, but Israel needs $10 billion? For what? A country of maybe 6 million vs. a continent of how many hundreds of millions? This is just absurd.

Old 03-20-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Refugee

And we were going to give Turkey 30 billion!

Man, what's with all this giving?

Mark

Old 03-20-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:57 PM
Ari Fleisher was asked that at a news conference today.

He actually said because they did not vote to allow troops in that the aid was withdrawn.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Ari Fleisher was asked that at a news conference today.

He actually said because they did not vote to allow troops in that the aid was withdrawn.
You're referring to Turkey's aid plan, right?

Israel still gets its $10 billion.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:33 PM   #5
New Yorker

This administration is seriously warped. Their priorities are

Yes lets give them money for running over a peace activist.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
And we were going to give Turkey 30 billion!

Man, what's with all this giving?

Mark
commonly known as a "bribe"
Old 03-21-2003, 09:49 AM   #7
The Fly

Israel actually gets 5 billion annually, however this year there getting more. Likely to for Israel to buy more U.S. F16's, Tanks, and Helicopters to bomb the helpless Palestinians and continue to illegally build Israeli settlements on Palestinian territory.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

The President's budget proposal for FY2004 includes about $2.7 billion (I think) in aid to Israel.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:48 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Man Inside The Child
Israel actually gets 5 billion annually, however this year there getting more. Likely to for Israel to buy more U.S. F16's, Tanks, and Helicopters to bomb the helpless Palestinians and continue to illegally build Israeli settlements on Palestinian territory.

Wow - now that was an absolutely remarkable, well remark.

What did you do dig through an old post to find thaat anti-semetic remark, or did you come up with it all by yourself?

Oh, and two words:

suicide bomber
Old 03-21-2003, 04:03 PM   #10
The Fly

hi quizy,

although many people may disagree with Israeli-American politics and humanitarian injustice towards Palestinians, that does not make them anti-semites. I commented on Israeli Governments Palestinian policy, not the Jewish people. My best friend is actually Jewish.

With respect to the suicide bombers, I'm not sure what you were trying to say... I do find suicide bombing a terrible act, but how many Israelis have had to endure the bulldozing of their homes, their stores, or being strip searched and subjected to rocket attacks?

peace

Michael
Old 03-21-2003, 04:10 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

from re-reading your post, i don't see where you were actually commenting on israeli-palestinian policy. i do see where you were making a rather inappropriate comment, which was nothing more than your opinion, on the situation. i can also see how it could be construed as an anti-semetic remark...
Old 03-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks Flower - I owe you two now.

Anyway Michael, seeing from your post count (6 was it) - it makes me think you are someone else who has posted here using a new user name.

Maybe I am wrong - the tone of your 'opinion post' however made you sound just like someone else.

It was the bombing helpless Palestinian comment that I take offense to. When I said suicide bomber, I was merely referring to them.

-David.

Also, my name is O U I Z Y and I am kind of a stickler about it.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:38 PM   #13
The Fly

Hi OUIZY,

I'm kinda a new/old member... I haven't really posted in three years or so... And when I did post, I went by the name wal... Nevertheless, having read some of the recent posts on war and politics, most by very intelligent people, I thought I'd indulge a little bit in my spare time. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from u and the interferencers, and vice versa.

Finally, Flower, thanks for your reply but I disagree with your belief that my comments sounded anti-semitic. The classical defintion of "anti-semite" , is one who has hostility towards the Jewish people. I can tell you that I do not. I do however have hostility towards Israeli government, and their illegal, repressive, and aggressive 36 year occupation of Palestinian territory - a territory that continues to shrink with the daily construction of new Israeli settlements.

I'm open to hearing anybodies opinion... And being fair in any debate. But I'd rather not participate in any discussion or web-site that labels me as an anti-semite for disagreeing with Israeli policy. I don't think that's cool

Later...
Old 03-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

well i certainly hope you don't leave the forum because of this thread. i was simply stating my opinion, as you apparently were. i still stand by my initial post because i, too, was offended by the same part of your first post that ouizy was. i thought it was one-sided and unfair. although i'm glad to read your clarification.

peace.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:29 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Man Inside The Child
Hi OUIZY,

Finally, Flower, thanks for your reply but I disagree with your belief that my comments sounded anti-semitic. The classical defintion of "anti-semite" , is one who has hostility towards the Jewish people. I can tell you that I do not. I do however have hostility towards Israeli government, and their illegal, repressive, and aggressive 36 year occupation of Palestinian territory - a territory that continues to shrink with the daily construction of new Israeli settlements.

Later...

No one asked the arab world to fight a war with israel in 67.....If you fight a war..and you lose...you have the possiblity of losing something. if you think that the Israelis should give back the occupied territories due to the Un resolution that's fine...but in the grand scheme of things I feel they are under No obligation to do so.

People think the palestinins are the only race to be screwed in modern times...welll that idea is ignorant, wrong and perhaps..even idiotic

Indian Hindus were forced to leave pakistan when it was created. This was an exodus the likes of which the world has yet to be seen...far bigger than the palestinian population...you dont' see indians going around killing pakistani kids do you?

And if that weren't enough..in kashmir another exodus of hindus was forced to take place due to ethnic cleansing....and....3 million hindus were killed in a matter of days in 1971 when bangladesh was created...

10 million rfugess live outside delhi today for what's been done....it makes the israeli palestinian situation look inconsequential..and dwarfs it it stature.

YEt...we never hear about this...and the arab world seems to love to claim that palestinians got screwed...well they aren't the only race to get screwed...so take a number.what does the arab world do to help palestine???? nothing they don't lift a finger...The United states, Israel and jordan allow palestinians to settle there...but no other countries in the mid east.....jordan is a US ally. So what....the arab world...is using palestine as a pawn for their own interests..none of them care about the well being of the palestinians.

The Us gives 15(need to double check this number but I know i's more than israel) billion in aid to egypt every year....maybe ppl forgot to mention that stat?

The islamic world could learn a lot from india.....too bad they invaded india and sold hindus into slavery perhaps constituting the most peaceful interaction between hindus and muslims. ...but this is another thread.

the arab world..has no legitimate grievances in my eyes.

/ rant