US list of terrorists around the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissZooropa

Refugee
Ok, I guess I will be a bit flamed here but I have to let it out.

After the terrorist attack US made up a list of "possible" terrorists around the world and demanded the UN, EU and the countires they lived in to "freeze" all their assets(?). This was made in oct/nov.
Why I've heard of this is because three men living in Sweden were on that list. Originally they are from Somalia.

These men had no idea why they were on the list. My first reaction was that, oh no, please let us not be involved. Since then they have got to know nothing WHY they are on the list. No proofs of them being involved in anything illegal. The only thing is that they had been involved with some bank in Somalia long ago that in some way worked for Al Qauida. (i'm not exactly sure about the relationship there though). Well, anyone who gives these three men money, employer or in private is comitting a crime.

They have gotten very little help from the swedish government (which I'm ashamed of) and noone knows or wants to tell them why. The only answer the Tv got when they decided to dig in this is that their is an investigation going on and since it's confidential they can't say anything. When they asked the mens lawyer they didn't know antyhing about an investigation.

Finally they got to conversate with the swedish ambassy in US and they ask US for any kind of proof or reason why these men were on the list and should have there assets frozen. Today we got the answer. The US don't have to tell the men why, they don't need any proof to do this and even if there isn't any proof of them being involved in anything illegal they should be on the list just to prevent them from maybe comitting anything terroristic.
eek.gif
eek.gif

What is this??? I have no words of what I thought when I heard this. This pretty much means that I can be put on a list because I've VISITED, say Afghanistan. I should be on the list because I MIGHT work with terrorist and the US wants to prevent me from that by "frighten" me. What about you're innocent until you're proved guilty?? And don't these men have the right to know WHY??? They have lived on nothing since november. And now they get to know that the US don't have to proove anything to judge people of being terrorists. These men have lived here for a long time, have good jobs and can speak for themselves, it's not like they have lived a criminal life while they have lived in Sweden.

I've been trying to be humble and openminded about this whole thing but now I actually think that the US is crossing the line for what's morally right to do in their hunt for terrorists and stopping the terrorism. Right now US are really acting like the world police and think they can do whatever they want to, in the name of stopping the terrorism. But to go and judge people like that and not letting them know why, that's too much for me.

Even if it later turns out that these men actually are guilty, the US has acted wrong, if you are accused for something, you have the right to know why, when and where and you have the right to speak for yourself and your innocence, if so, even if the the other part is the US.

Ok, I'm done, I'm upset and if someone has any more info about this I'm eager to here because I might have missed something, if so, I'm sorry. But from what I've heard, this is crazy!

[This message has been edited by MissZooropa (edited 02-14-2002).]

Finally they got to conversate with the swedish ambassy in US and they ask US for any kind of proof or reason why these men were on the list and should have there assets frozen. Today we got the answer. The US don't have to tell the men why, they don't need any proof to do this and even if there isn't any proof of them being involved in anything illegal they should be on the list just to prevent them from maybe comitting anything terroristic :eek
eek.gif

In the U.S, you can be sentanced to death without ever being allowed to see the evidence against you.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
In the U.S, you can be sentanced to death without ever being allowed to see the evidence against you.

Interesting, at least I know why now. It sounds very strange though.
Then I must ask, if I say that you murdered my friend, then you are just sent for prison without an trial and a chance to defend yourself?

I thought US was civilized and a democratic country, what you just said doesn't sound like that, more like China or any undemocratic country where you don't have the right to speak and defend yourself. If you don't get to know why then you can't defend yourself.

Please explain this a bit more.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:

I thought US was civilized and a democratic country, what you just said doesn't sound like that, more like China or any undemocratic country where you don't have the right to speak and defend yourself. If you don't get to know why then you can't defend yourself.

Please explain this a bit more.

yeah and no other country in the world have problems..The system wasn't perfect to begin with...the world for us has changed...and the system still isn't perfect..yes it's shame things like this happen..but just don't throw comments out for the sake of it. If you want to slam the US...there are better reasons for it

Originally posted by Arun V:
yeah and no other country in the world have problems..The system wasn't perfect to begin with...the world for us has changed...and the system still isn't perfect..yes it's shame things like this happen..but just don't throw comments out for the sake of it. If you want to slam the US...there are better reasons for it

Please focus on the subject and please don't jump on me. I'm not here to slam anyone, I'm just curious and asking for me relevant questions about a country that says to be open and the country of possibilities. These regulations hasn't come with the attack so it has nothing to do with you being changed.
Don't be so aggressive, I'm not, I'm just asking questions to be able to maybe understand a little bit more.
smile.gif

As you put in your quote I also asked for an explanation, just to be enlightened why your system is built on not letting people know why they are judged or accused.
I have never said that any other country don't have their problems. But don't you agree that it is very strange that you are not allowed to know WHY you are accused of something and then defend yourself?
I don't really care about laws in other countries, I can agree, or disagree but never change anything. But when they are used on non citizen of the country, on people that never even have been in the country, then I think something is wrong and am I not allowed to even ask?

Calling the US uncivilized, comparing it to china.......no you weren't slamming anyone

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 02-14-2002).]

At what point were you labotomized? Do you even think before you post crap like this?

------------------

"The only fitting memorial for those lives that were lost is the idea that the world is forever changed by this moment in time, that it is a better more inclusive place, & that we cut off the OXYGEN SUPPLY to these CRAZY FANATICS!" ~Bono 11/05/01

"So Mr. Bin Laden, I hear you have an intrest in our airplanes...Let me show you this one, we like to call it the B-52

Calling the US uncivilized, comparing it to china.......no you weren't slamming anyone

Does this _sound_ civilized?

And once again, I asked to get it more explained but haven't. If the above quote isn't true then say that instead of jumping on me an misinterpret what I write in the worst possible way. Do I actually have to say that of course US isn't like China and of course US is civilized but the above quote is in my eyes not a very civilized way to treat people, and it does sound like something happening in uncivilized countries NOT in US and therefor I ask for some explanations and am amazed.

If something sounded terrible wrong for an foreinger about something in the swedish sociaty I would try to explain, why it is like that, if it was true. And if I found it as wrong as the foreigner I wouldn't defend my country just because I "have" to. I can admit what's wrong with my country even if I love it.

MissZooropa > I don't know anything about this case, but based solely on the information you provided, I agree with you that:

Right now US are really acting like the world police and think they can do whatever they want to, in the name of stopping the terrorism.

I'm just curious and asking for me relevant questions about a country that says to be open and the country of possibilities.
good luck

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I got cut off in the middle of my post above, but what I meant to continue saying is that the U.S. has always assumed it had the right to police the world--this isn't new behavior--and it disturbs me greatly.

Also, MissZooropa, no one should be jumping on you for these questions. We Americans should be demanding answers, too.

Right now US are really acting like the world police and think they can do whatever they want to, in the name of stopping the terrorism.

You know, I felt the exact same way during the Clinton Administration, I think the Term 'Meal On Wheels' program describes our Military perfectly during that time... How Sickening..

But Our country gets shit upon when we DON'T act as the 'World's Police Force'.. Just another contradiction of how we can't win in these situations.

I'm in the process of looking up articles, but I've got to bounce shortly.. Just wanted to say that to say... When you write like it's an instant epiphany that "We're NOW acting as the world's police force".. In all ways of logic, I don't quite think it would be too far off to say that We've Always been the Modern World's Police Force. (Regardless of the Motivations for our actions)

L.Unplugged

Miss Zooropa-
Simply put we're at war.
The USA is a wonderful country.
Our good attributes far outwiegh our bad ones.
Most would agree w/this.
No one promised it to be pleasant or to work out perfectly.

Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 02-14-2002).]

the horror, diamond, and lemonite make perfect sense to me right now. But the best summary comes from Db69, great job! HooH HaH-to al of you though~light and motion light and motion, its hard to walk away, you could have it all, we could have it all

USA says that Malaysia was where the 9/11 attacks were planned. The govt have had dealings with Osama's brother, among other things. I guess one could say that the Southeast Asian equavalent of an 'axis of evil' is Malaysia, Singapore and Phillipines.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce

NO. I have heard recently as of today that your own country has gone after terrorist.

I'm not sure who they are working for/or with, and my source is not the news.

Fine lets not police teh world, and then have all of you complain that the United states...the most powerful country in teh world, does nothing to bring stability to the world around them. You don't want us to be the world police fine, let saddam have kuwait, and Saudi Arabia, Let milosevic run free in eastern europe etc etc...personally...whenver I hear stuff like this..I sense inferiority complexes.

Fine lets not police teh world, and then have all of you complain that the United states...the most powerful country in teh world, does nothing to bring stability to the world around them. You don't want us to be the world police fine, let saddam have kuwait, and Saudi Arabia, Let milosevic run free in eastern europe etc etc...personally...whenver I hear stuff like this..I sense inferiority complexes.
Excellent post! So true!

Thanks for some calm and nice replies.
smile.gif

Lemonite: I do agree that US get bashed if they interfere, AND if they don't, it's wrong and puts US in a tricky situation. And I guess you're right that they play the worlds police most of the time but some situations are more questionable then others. I have never had any concrete information before so I haven't interfered or had an opinion and therefor tried to be humble and not judging US by saying that they are the world police all the time but in this situation, when they are accusing people, private persons, not organisations, all around the world and don't let them know why or give them a chance to defend themselves, then it has gone too far.

DB: I know US is a great country.
smile.gif
I've visited you several times and are looking forward to coming trips there because I will be back. And as you said your goods overweigh the bads.
You are also at war, but not against private people that has no idea why they are accused for something, they don't even know what they are accused of and they live their life far away from the center of this war and probably don't know more about it then the general person. And then they get the answer that you are put on the list just to prevent you from MAYBE doing something terroristic in the future. It's like putting someone in jail for a month just to let them see what it's like so they don't want to end up there, no other reason. You are not allowed to do that, at least not here.
It's this particular situation I'm questioning, NOT the entire US and it's laws.
smile.gif

-----------------------------------------

I'm actually wondering where this is going. What I mean is that next time it might be me, just because I know someone from Afgahnistan or someone that has been involved with the wrong organization. What has happened starts to shake my own security. Even if I know I haven't done anything, if someone can accuse me anyway and don't have to tell me why, that scares me and I am no longer living in a free country. You see where I am at, this is no longer just about terrorists.

Thanks for reading my posts so well, and what I'm questioning. But please if you will post here, stay to the actual issue and try to read what's actually written. It seems like most others that has replyed sees what I'm at, american or not, except you.... But if you want to fight here for your country, I'm not the right person to fight with (and this thread is not the right either) because I like US and get personally offended by you accusing me of the opposite.... You don't defend your country very well.
I'm sorry but it's americans like you that make foreigners to dislike you. Humbleness? Heard of it?

Did it ever occur to anyone that the rest of the world has more than one opinion, i.e. it's not necessarily the same people complaining when the US interferes as when they don't?

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Did it ever occur to anyone that the rest of the world has more than one opinion, i.e. it's not necessarily the same people complaining when the US interferes as when they don't?

Good point!
smile.gif

*wonders why I never figure this stuff out myself but find it so natural when someone else is saying it*

I think that what upsets people is that the U.S. doesn't police the world simply because we are a deeply compassionate nation that is concerned about the well being of our fellow citizens of the world, but we police the world in places and in ways that directly benefit our economy. We police the world as arrogant bullies.

It's not that the non-Americans on this forum are expressing an inferiority complex (how insulting and arrogant to suggest that), but rather that they have observed (accurately in my opinion) the U.S.'s superiority complex. A perfect example was Bush's unilateral rejection of the Kyoto Protocol because it might harm the U.S. economy. He ranked the U.S. economy as being more important than global warming for God's sake. It was the epitome of arrogance. Absolutely shocking and disgusting. The World Trade Center was symbolic of the American economical ego and it is important that we Americans both recognize this AND support our leaders in addressing the situation, and support does not mean blind nationalism. This is not a fucking football game where we should sit there and go "rah rah rah America, our team rulz!" 9/11 was absolutely horrifying and I personally know people who died, but that does not mean I am going to be blind about it. On the contrary, my eyes are more open than ever.

I have drifted way off topic here, and yet, not so much in the bigger scheme. I have observed similar discussions on this forum for a long time, and I know where they go. I will be judged as unpatriotic and a bleeding heart liberal because that is usually the lamest response anyone can come up with. Fine. I know what's in my heart.

But whatever, I'm done with this--there is no point in even wasting energy this way. But all I want to say to MissZooropa is that not all Americans agree with U.S. foreign policy and the way in which the so-called war on terrorism is being handled, and I am sorry for how your questions have been received.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-15-2002).]

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
But all I want to say to MissZooropa is that not all Americans agree with U.S. foreign policy and the way in which the so-called war on terrorism is being handled, and I am sorry for how your questions have been received.

Thanks!
smile.gif
Unfortunatly those americans don't make as much sound as those that defends everything about US, no exception.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
but rather that they have observed (accurately in my opinion) the U.S.'s superiority complex. A perfect example was Bush's unilateral rejection of the Kyoto Protocol because it might harm the U.S. economy. He ranked the U.S. economy as being more important than global warming for God's sake.
[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-15-2002).]

jg, please study the Kyoto Protocol and America's reaction to it before you say things like this. Yes, America's economy was one of teh main reasons Bush rejected it.
But he also didn't liek the fact that China, one of the biggest violators of the environment, was not being called on to an hardly anything. There are other reasons, also.
But he's the President of the USA, for crying out loud. Not the president of The United Nations. His job is to look out for the people of the country he represents. Not France, not Russia. The USA. That is and should be his first and foremost consideration. If our economy really tanks, we are in dire straits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom