US: IRA must disband now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
You honestly think that the UK "killing them all" would solve the problem?

Semantics aside (I didn't mean that literally, and even I did, no one realistically expects the UK to hunt down and kill every last IRA member, just like you can't kill every last Ba'athist or "terrorist"), what's the alternative to a severe crackdown?

It's fairly clear now that, after decades, people are not going to let this habit die easily. So no more new "negotiations." It's time to force them to live up to their original obligations (and that goes for the "orange" groups, as well) or else.

Melon

melon said:

Semantics aside (I didn't mean that literally, and even I did, no one realistically expects the UK to hunt down and kill every last IRA member, just like you can't kill every last Ba'athist or "terrorist"), what's the alternative to a severe crackdown?

It's fairly clear now that, after decades, people are not going to let this habit die easily. So no more new "negotiations." It's time to force them to live up to their original obligations (and that goes for the "orange" groups, as well) or else.

Melon

Yes but the problem is Melon that you made the statement that the UK should kill them all and you now retreat from this by talking of "semantics" without actually retracting the statement.

These are my countrymen and women we are talking about here for better or worse and I think you should be more careful as regards making statements like that. It is not feasible for the British government to track down and kill every IRA terrorist as you've said yourself, also in my view if such a policy were enacted many innocent lives would be lost and it would perpetuate the problem rather than solve it.

Fortunately even the most right wing UK governments have never pursued a policy of "killing them all".

financeguy said:
Yes but the problem is Melon that you made the statement that the UK should kill them all and you now retreat from this by talking of "semantics" without actually retracting the statement.

If you're looking for an official retraction, then let this be it: I apologize and retract the statement.

I still think the IRA and Orange groups must be dismantled, and if they refuse to live up to their obligations, then they must expect it to be done for them. What I expect, even in its harshest terms, is much kinder than what those IRA thugs are doing to gay people. I will advocate to protect my people as well, wherever they are.

Melon

I think it is important to distinguish between IRA members acting as IRA members on behalf of the IRA, and dumbasses acting as dumbasses who just happen to be members of the IRA. Any attacks on gay men are not done in pursuit of legitimate political goals (i. e. united Ireland), and should be appropriately punished, but at the same time, any attacks on gays are surely not sanctioned by the IRA's ruling Army Council.

melon said:

Yeah, well, the IRA has a new hobby now:

http://www.365gay.com/newscon05/03/031305ulster.htm

Melon

and moreover, in response to a later post, I don't consider the IRA to be a terrorist organization. When they were actively engaged in armed struggle, it was an anti-imperialist war.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Let me understand the logic......

Bush (the son) is responsible in your mind for things Bush (the father did)?

Does that mean you also give credit to Bush (the Son) for anything good his father did?

:huh:
i hate the hell out of bush, but he's got little to do with his dad.

Melon, come on!

I know you retracted the statement but arent you being a bit touchy. If you had not read that article would you honestly be so angry?

You said they should kill them all. That isnt going to happen and im sure you said that in anger. But if you look back to what the British did during internment you will see that that type of action didnt work then and wouldnt in a second work now. They rounded up Catholics and threw them in jail for months and years for merely being Catholics living in Nationalist areas.

I would argue that the IRAs rise to power during the 70-80s was directly related to what the Brit govt did. IRA membership was at all-time lows and were virtually eliminated until the Brits started their 'aggresive' stage.

If you think what happens now (ie punishment beating) is bad then you might want to look into some history books on the daily killing of Brit soliders, Catholics, Prodestants and RUC. This is the best it has been in decades and the only way for it to get better is neg. with parties that have influeance on groups like the IRA, UFF, UVF, UDA.

Tennispunk is entirely correct when he says that the IRA would NEVER issue an order to harrass homosexuals. Ireland as a whole is ery homophobic and anti-immigrant, especially outside of Dublin and Belfast. You might say that the IRA and Sinn Fein are different, and they are, but you must relize that they represent the same demographic, republicans, and there is no stronger party in Ireland on this issue then Sinn Fein!

Im disgusted when people can read an article, and makes such sweeping generallizations! I know you are much more objective and smarter then this.

Back
Top Bottom