US embargo against French water and wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for kicks here's a Valentine's Day message in French.

Je t'aime "I love you":heart: :heart: :heart:

This is a :censored: nightmare. I can't believe this is happening to us.:censored:

verte76 said:
Just for kicks here's a Valentine's Day message in French.

Je t'aime "I love you":heart: :heart: :heart:

This is a :censored: nightmare. I can't believe this is happening to us.:censored:

Here's one in German. Ich leibe dich "I love you"

May God bless Germany, France and Belgium. I'm sorry, I don't know any Flemish. :lol: :lol:

verte76 said:
May God bless Germany, France and Belgium. I'm sorry, I don't know any Flemish. :lol: :lol:

Flemish is Dutch with a different accent, albeit. So "I love you" is "Ik hou van jou" in Flemish/Dutch. :tongue:

As much as I was disgusted at the numerous "axis of weasels", "chorus of cowards", "wimps" and "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" comments in the American press (even the so-called quality papers resort to childish Euro-bashing), it's really great to see some dissenting opinions on this. :heart:

________

<-- hello, lurker here :wave:

Electric Blue said:

Flemish is Dutch with a different accent, albeit. So "I love you" is "Ik hou van jou" in Flemish/Dutch. :tongue:

As much as I was disgusted at the numerous "axis of weasels", "chorus of cowards", "wimps" and "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" comments in the American press (even the so-called quality papers resort to childish Euro-bashing), it's really great to see some dissenting opinions on this. :heart:

________

<-- hello, lurker here :wave:

This :censored: stuff is indeed childish, petty and just plain stupid. It makes me embarrassed to be an American. If I ever get back to Europe I'm going to lie about my citizenship. :censored: :censored: :madspit: :mad: :scream:

This is weird. I normally don't post controversial political notes on Interference. I'm not overly fond of controversy. But I have very strong feelings about this war. I'm totally against it. It's a really bad idea. Don't get me started on Donald Rumsfeld. :censored:

This view on France, Germany, Belgium and Austria is it shared by a lot of Americans or is it just bull coming from the words of politicians?

BTW I think citizens of France want visits from Kings family as much as citizens of Iraq wants a visit from US troops!!!

Tomorrow let?s show worldpoliceofficer George W Bush that the citizens of the world don?t want a new war!!!

Olofski said:
This view on France, Germany, Belgium and Austria is it shared by a lot of Americans or is it just bull coming from the words of politicians?

BTW I think citizens of France want visits from Kings family as much as citizens of Iraq wants a visit from US troops!!!

Tomorrow let?s show worldpoliceofficer George W Bush that the citizens of the world don?t want a new war!!!

I can't say with authority how many Americans feel this way. I just know that I do; so do my parents and other family members. About half of the American electorate, according to recent polls, oppose unilateral U.S. actions in Iraq. I just saw Colin Powell on the news and he was telling a press conference that he does not want to trash our 225-year old alliance with France.

Oops! I goofed! I forgot that you use capital letters for a noun in German. I am indeed a dork. So that's. Ich leibe Dich. Apologies to our German and Austrian friends, and thanks for your courage!!!:wave: :wave:

Raising a stink

No sacrifice for the war effort is too great for our U.S. neighbours.

A Frenchman who sells cheese over the Internet has seen his inbox fill up with e-mails from disgruntled Americans. They are quite happy with his Camembert, but not with his government's policy on Iraq. "Pam and I have enjoyed ordering from you in the past," read one e-mail to http://www.fromages.com's Marc Refabert. "(But) because of the current position your government is taking on not supporting the U.S. at this time regarding Iraq, we are not going to support France in any way. ... We are sorry."

Orders are slipping from the U.S. market, which accounts for 80 per cent of http://www.fromages. com's business. But just as the French government is unmoved by U.S. criticism of its unwillingness to back war against Iraq, so Refabert is shrugging off the boycott.

"It's their way of showing their patriotism. Good for them," he said. "We've decided not to reply to the e-mails. What good would it do? ... But you've got to be adult. I don't think it's a very well thought-through reaction."

Neither do we, so we urge all cheese lovers who oppose the war to place a hefty order with Refabert.

Mrs. Edge said:
Raising a stink

No sacrifice for the war effort is too great for our U.S. neighbours.

A Frenchman who sells cheese over the Internet has seen his inbox fill up with e-mails from disgruntled Americans. They are quite happy with his Camembert, but not with his government's policy on Iraq. "Pam and I have enjoyed ordering from you in the past," read one e-mail to http://www.fromages.com's Marc Refabert. "(But) because of the current position your government is taking on not supporting the U.S. at this time regarding Iraq, we are not going to support France in any way. ... We are sorry."

Orders are slipping from the U.S. market, which accounts for 80 per cent of http://www.fromages. com's business. But just as the French government is unmoved by U.S. criticism of its unwillingness to back war against Iraq, so Refabert is shrugging off the boycott.

"It's their way of showing their patriotism. Good for them," he said. "We've decided not to reply to the e-mails. What good would it do? ... But you've got to be adult. I don't think it's a very well thought-through reaction."

Neither do we, so we urge all cheese lovers who oppose the war to place a hefty order with Refabert.

I'm taking this to my local protest!

wow, that letter sums everything up so nicely.

"your either with us, or your against us."

Mrs. Edge said:
[A Frenchman who sells cheese over the Internet has seen his inbox fill up with e-mails from disgruntled Americans. They are quite happy with his Camembert, but not with his government's policy on Iraq. "Pam and I have enjoyed ordering from you in the past," read one e-mail to http://www.fromages.com's Marc Refabert. "(But) because of the current position your government is taking on not supporting the U.S. at this time regarding Iraq, we are not going to support France in any way. ... We are sorry."

Oh this is too much.

"Your country won't let Georgie blow up Iraq with UN support, so we won't buy your cheese."

:lol:

Melon

verte76 said:
I'm taking this to my local protest!

Maybe you can take this one too.

Wimps, weasels and monkeys - the US media view of 'perfidious France'

Dissenters in Europe become the first victims - of a war of words

Gary Younge in New York and Jon Henley in Paris
Tuesday February 11, 2003
The Guardian

The "petulant prima donna of realpolitik" is leading the "axis of weasels", in "a chorus of cowards". It is an unholy alliance of "wimps" and ingrates which includes one country that is little more than a "mini-me minion", another that is in league with Cuba and Libya, with a bunch of "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" at the helm.

Welcome to Europe, as viewed through the eyes of American commentators and newspapers yesterday, as Euro-bashing, and particularly anti-French sentiment, reached new heights. In a barrage of insults and invective which ranged from the basest tabloid rants to the loftiest columnists on the most respected newspapers, European-led resistance to America's war plans in Iraq was portrayed not as a diplomatic position to be negotiated as a genetic weakness in the European mindset which makes them reluctant to fight wars and incapable of winning them.

The front page of Rupert Murdoch's New York Post yesterday shows the graves of Normandy with the headline: "They died for France but France has forgotten." "Where are the French now, as Americans prepare to put their soldiers on the line to fight today's Hitler, Saddam Hussein?" asks the pugnacious columnist Steve Dunleavy. "Talking appeasement. Wimping out. How can they have forgotten?" A cartoon in the same paper shows an ostrich with its head in the sand below the words: "The national bird of France."

If such language is proving a headache for the diplomats, then spare a thought for the French translators, who have struggled for words to convey the full force of the venom. "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys" - a phrase coined by Bart Simpson but made acceptable in official diplomatic channels around the globe by Jonah Goldberg, a columnist for the rightwing weekly National Review (according to Goldberg) - was finally rendered: " Primates capitulards et toujours en qu?te de fromages ". And the New York Post's "axis of weasel" lost much of its venom when translated as a limp " axe de faux jetons " (literally, "axis of devious characters").

American wrath has been reserved for those nations which oppose their leadership, particularly following the decision to oppose shifting Nato resources to Turkey. "Three countries - France, Germany and their mini-me minion, Belgium - have moved from opposition to US policy toward Iraq into formal, and consequential obstructionism," argued the Wall Street Journal in an editorial yesterday. "If there is a war [the Turks] will face the danger of direct attack that is not feared in the chocolate shops of Brussels." The front page of the National Review blares "Putsch" with a sub-headline: "How to defeat the Franco-German power grab."

While the jibes may be puerile, the possibility that the Bush administration and commercial outlets might follow them up with punitive measures has struck some as pernicious. An ad, due to come out soon, shows three German-made cars, including an Audi and a BMW, driving towards the camera with a voice saying: "Do you really want to buy a German car?"

If there has been any European country that has attracted more contempt than others, it is France. In the Wall Street Journal, Christopher Hitchens described Jacques Chirac as "a positive monster of conceit _ the abject procurer for Saddam ... the rat that tried to roar". In the Washington Post, George Will opined that the "oily" foreign affairs minister, Dominique de Villepin, had launched France into "an exercise for which France has often refined its savoir-faire since 1870, which is to say retreat - this time into incoherence".

And in the New York Times, Thomas Friedman argued that France should be removed from the security council and be replaced with India: "India is just so much more serious than France these days. France is so caught up with its need to differentiate itself from America to feel important, it's become silly." The Wall Street Journal editor, Max Boot, argues: "France has been in decline since, oh, about 1815, and it isn't happy about it." What particularly galls the Gauls is that their rightful place in the world has been usurped by the gauche Americans."

At its ugliest, the transatlantic bile is becoming increasingly personal. When France Inter radio's correspondent in Washington, Laurence Simon, started to explain her government's position to Fox News (owned by Murdoch) she was interrupted by the presenter. "With friends like you, who needs enemies," she was told as she was taken off air.

The following was printed the Guardian's Corrections and Clarifications column, Thursday February 13 2002:

The description of the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" was not coined by Bart Simpson. It comes from the Simpsons character Groundskeeper Willie, the Scottish immigrant who takes care of custodial matters at the elementary school. :eeklaugh:

I believe the German word for "dork" is "Dummkopf" or "Schafskopf" but I think Klaus can give you some more appropriate translations. :tongue:

3356450835.jpg

http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2002/12/05122002171916.asp

U2girl91289 said:
I wish I could have gone to an anti war rally , but I'm too young.

You'll make an anti-war demonstration someday. I was too young for antiwar demos in the Vietnam era. I'm not too young for this.:lol: :lol: :wave: :yes:
I still can't believe that guy who won't buy French cheese because France won't let us nuke Iraq. Honestly....more Camembert for the French, I guess. My comments on the matter are:censored::censored:

Last edited:
verte76 said:

You'll make an anti-war demonstration someday. I was too young for antiwar demos in the Vietnam era. I'm not too young for this.:lol: :lol: :wave: :yes:
I still can't believe that guy who won't buy French cheese because France won't let us nuke Iraq. Honestly....more Camembert for the French, I guess. My comments on the matter are:censored::censored:

The USA asked to oure goverment if they could use the dutch habour ( Delfzijl, 30 km of my home ), the railway system and the airports for transporting troops and weapons of small destruction.

Saying yes should be good for the cheese export to the USA.

Say cheese won't make me smile for a camera anymore. :(

This sort of politics is more befitting of a classroom of five year olds than the security council of the UN. But maybe that's offensive to five year olds.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
This sort of politics is more befitting of a classroom of five year olds than the security council of the UN. But maybe that's offensive to five year olds.

I agree. Good God I'm embarrassed.:eek: :eek: :eek: :angry: :censored: :censored:

oh for crying out loud...this takes the cake!!

Bye bye, American pieBye bye, American pie

Last week, Americans were cancelling orders of French cheese over France's lack of support for attacking Iraq. This week, it's the humble french fry that's feeling the heat of their jingoistic fervour.

At Cubbie's restaurant in Beaufort, N.C., owner Neal Rowland has rechristened the fried potato strips.

"Because of Cubbie's support for our troops, we no longer serve french fries. We now serve freedom fries," says a sign in the restaurant's window.

Rowland says his intent is not to slight the French people, but to take a stance to show his support for the United States and the actions of President Bush. "It's our way of showing our patriotic pride," he says, noting that his business has a lot of local military troops as customers.

Rowland says the name change occurred to him following a recent conversation about World War I, when anti-German sentiment prompted Americans to change the names of German foods like sauerkraut and frankfurter to liberty cabbage and hot dog.

Hey, at least one caught on.

The thing that bugs me about this is that it's the French government, not the people. Maybe French wine merchant X doesn't support his government's position on Iraq. I don't think this is fair. I might get some French cheese (I don't drink wine) to prove it. Who knows, the French cheese merchant might not be political at all or whatever. I know it irritates me when people assume that I agree with my government when (these days) most of the time I do not.

False allies must pay the price!!

Add Turkey to the list!!!

Next Thanksgiving, our family will sit down to a nicely roasted freedom bird for dinner!!!

Back
Top Bottom