US considers 'under God' pledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to start by saying that I think this is something that is worth reviewing anyway, but not because of a custody dispute!

So all countries should become secular then.

No one said the country had to be secular, just the government.

Is Christianity such a harmful thing to society, a belief that says to love your neighbor as you love yourself, treat others as you would like to be treated, if you lend money, don't do it on interest. Don't sue family. Take care of widows, orphans, the sick, the poor, those less well off than you, yup, Christianity is a very harmful idea.

Whether it's harmful or not is not the point. The point is that it shouldn't be foisted upon EVERYONE - one size fits all - especially a nation like the US that is FULL of people of different religions (and many with none at all)!

In 1980 they added "God Keep our Land" into the Canadian National Anthem...and it's the same thing.

Anyway, back to your comments. Christianity as you describe it, in theory has wonderful principles for everyone, yes. But that doesn't mean that other religions, or even atheists do not. Good behaviour and charitable deeds are not the sole purvue of Christians!

As for Christianity being harmful to society....um, well if you look through the ages right up to today at the atrocities commited in the name of Christianity, I'd say YES, it sure can be.

The point is that non-Christians shouldn't be forced to recite Christian or any other religious themed pledges if they don't want to.

U2 Kitten, even though I am not a Christian (yet), I agree with you and still think there's nothing wrong with celebrations of Christmas (as long as they aren't forced on anyone), or public celebrations and holidays of any other kind either. Diversity should be celebrated. And this idea of banning Halloween is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. :tsk:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom