US Begins Destroying Chemical Weapons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]NATION IN BRIEF

Saturday, August 9, 2003; Page A16

Army Base in Alabama Town To Burn Chemical Weapons

ANNISTON, Ala. -- The Army plans to start destroying Cold War-era chemical weapons today at its Anniston incinerator, the first time the military will burn the deadly munitions near a populated area.

Incinerator spokesman Mike Abrams said the incinerator will begin operations this morning unless weather or other factors cause a delay. The timetable to start destroying the weapons came after a federal judge rejected motions by opponents to delay it.

The Army plans only "limited burns" on weekends and between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. on weekdays until schools and other community buildings near the incinerator are provided with safety pressurization this fall. During this time, the nerve agent GB will be drained from M-55 rockets and destroyed, Abrams said.

The Army's decision came only hours after U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued a ruling that cleared the way for the burning to begin.

After his ruling, Sharon McConathy took her granddaughter to pick up safety gear being provided to thousands of Anniston-area people -- protective hoods that resemble gas masks and plastic sheeting for sealing a room in her mobile home in the event of an accident.

"It's real scary," McConathy said. "I think they're putting everybody at risk."

The Army and others in the Anniston area contend that it is far safer to burn the chemical weapons than leave them in the concrete bunkers at the depot. [/Q]

I had the pleasure of guarding this depot in Alabama. I am not sure this is the best place or way to dispose of these materials. I hope nothing happens. It is good to see these things eliminated from our stockpiles.

Peace

This is going on an hour from my house. I'm glad we're getting rid of these :censored: weapons, but I'm nervous that this sort of thing is going on so close. I just hope there aren't any accidents. Just a couple of weeks ago I was going to a medieval faire event and they had the road blocked due to an oil spill. I had to wait three hours on Rural Road X while they cleaned up the thing. There was a crazy rumor going around in the next town that it was hydrogen that had been spilled. Fortunately this was not true but it was scary.

Dreadsox said:
[Q]NATION IN BRIEF

Saturday, August 9, 2003; Page A16

Army Base in Alabama Town To Burn Chemical Weapons

ANNISTON, Ala. -- The Army plans to start destroying Cold War-era chemical weapons today at its Anniston incinerator, the first time the military will burn the deadly munitions near a populated area.

Incinerator spokesman Mike Abrams said the incinerator will begin operations this morning unless weather or other factors cause a delay. The timetable to start destroying the weapons came after a federal judge rejected motions by opponents to delay it.
Peace

I saw a report on the news about this, however as usually they didn't go into details about the groups protesting it or why. As a neighbor to the operation I'd be extremely nervous, especially if a wind is all it takes to cancel. What if the wind changes in the middle of the night & noone notices?

There has got to be a better location. I also hope all goes well.

I read this today and thought about you (verte) and u2bama.

This may be one of those things we look back on and say "oops, it was not THAT safe afterall."

There are 3 places in the country where thay are burning these chemicals there other places they are being destroyed in a non-burning way.

deep said:

This may be one of those things we look back on and say "oops, it was not THAT safe afterall."

Yeah, no kidding. Two words: Rocky Flats. :|

"Yeah, that river dust has probably blown alot of places by now."

deep said:

There are 3 places in the country where thay are burning these chemicals there other places they are being destroyed in a non-burning way.

Damn, I wish u2bama would post. I'm sure he's OK but still........I want to see it.

I visited Rocky Flats a few years ago. They had tried to dispose of some of the Pu waste by mixing into concrete cylinders to make it easier for transport. Well, it turned out that the radioactivity broke the concrete down into a very fine radioactive dust. They couldn't move it, so there are now sheds built around the piles where they stood.

Also, do you remember the sarin brouhaha a few months back at the armory? Scary stuff.

verte76 said:

Damn, I wish u2bama would post. I'm sure he's OK but still........I want to see it.

Verte,

U2 Bama has gone the way of 80's and some others. He is well I just tracked him down.

He did say that he is wearing his chemcial suit and mask and he is the same conservative, war-mongering, pre vatican II, fundamentalist protestant that we all love.

PEACE.

Dreadsox said:

Verte,

U2 Bama has gone the way of 80's and some others. He is well I just tracked him down.

He did say that he is wearing his chemcial suit and mask and he is the same conservative, war-mongering, pre vatican II, fundamentalist protestant that we all love.

PEACE.

Oh, Dread. Sometimes you are too much!:lol: :lol: I am sorry intelligent thoughtful conservatives have stopped posting.:( :(
Damn.

I've never understood some conservative's need to either divide or conquer. Why do they feel they have to leave? I could understand 80's leaving for his own reason's, but U2 Bama? Geez, who knew? Will miss both.
With respect to the burning, I read where the first initial test took a lot longer than expected, which is good so any mistakes can be found before an accident happens. But the level of disposal material they want to be able to do is what worries me. Haste makes waste, but this waste is already devastating. *concerned*to say the least.

Last edited:
verte76 said:

Oh, Dread. Sometimes you are too much!:lol: :lol: I am sorry intelligent thoughtful conservatives have stopped posting.:( :(
Damn.

Only us unthoughtful ones left....:lol: :lol:

I just got an e-mail from people in the local peace group. There is going to be a demonstration in Anniston Saturday to protest this. The demonstration is being held in conjunction with environmentalists.:scratch: :hmm:

Well, the army pretty much has two choices. Burn them, or let them sit in the silos.

They can't very well transport it somewhere else, due to the fact that it is nerve gas.

They can't let it sit there, because it might leak out, and it is nerve gas.

They can't decompose it chemically, because the breakdown products are awfully unfriendly.

So, the army really only has one option. Burn it where it is.

Rocky Mountain Arsenal safely disposed of a bunch of sarin bomblets that were not only toxic but also explosive. The precautions being taken are just in case. The army hates accidents.

verte76 said:
I just got an e-mail from people in the local peace group. There is going to be a demonstration in Anniston Saturday to protest this. The demonstration is being held in conjunction with environmentalists.:scratch: :hmm:

?

Back
Top Bottom