US Aid update - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2005, 07:29 AM   #1
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 12:39 AM
US Aid update

From BBC

"USA
$350m in government donations, plus military assistance involving 12,600 personnel, 21 ships, 14 cargo planes and more than 90 helicopters."

I noticed Germany just in the last day or so raised their donation from $27M. Didn't notice any outrage towards them on these forums, and they are among the richest nations in the World.
__________________

cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 12:39 AM
I have heard new reports of U.S. private donations surpassing 200 million.
__________________

MaxFisher is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
DrTeeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Q continuum
Posts: 4,770
Local Time: 02:39 AM
Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
I noticed Germany just in the last day or so raised their donation from $27M. Didn't notice any outrage towards them on these forums, and they are among the richest nations in the World.
Am I the only one who thinks it's pathetic that this is being turned into a competition?
DrTeeth is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor
 
LarryMullen's POPAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Posts: 53,698
Local Time: 07:39 PM
No.
LarryMullen's POPAngel is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 04:39 PM
Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


Am I the only one who thinks it's pathetic that this is being turned into a competition?
No, you are certainly not the only one
BAW is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 01:39 AM
Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
From BBC

"USA
$350m in government donations, plus military assistance involving 12,600 personnel, 21 ships, 14 cargo planes and more than 90 helicopters."

I noticed Germany just in the last day or so raised their donation from $27M. Didn't notice any outrage towards them on these forums, and they are among the richest nations in the World.
why did i see on tv a german president talk about giving 500 milion euro ?
Rono is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 12:39 AM
The U.S. was rediculed specificaly for supposedly not acting quickly enough to send aid to the victims. Americans were labeled as stingy and aloof to global concerns outside of U.S. interests.

In a little over two weeks we have now pledged over a half billion dollars, not counting equipment and man power.

That's the point of the thread.
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 340
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


I noticed Germany just in the last day or so raised their donation from $27M. Didn't notice any outrage towards them on these forums, and they are among the richest nations in the World.
Those damned Germans!

Feel better now?
strannix is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 12:39 AM
W has contributed 10,000 dollars of his own money.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...type=printable
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Rono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 01:39 AM
It is in German,...and they are talking about 500 milion euro ( $ 650 million )


http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...449815,00.html


....end of competition. We need team work.
Rono is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
It is in German,...and they are talking about 500 milion euro ( $ 650 million )


http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...449815,00.html


....end of competition. We need team work.
I have no qualm with 27M or 270M, the more the better.

Obviously only a few people actually understood my point, which was that this forum lambasted the you-know-what out of Bush for "only" originally offering $35M then $50M, and yet were noticeably quiet about Germany's contribution which was only just recently upped from their original donation of $27M.

It was NOT about any kind of competition, it was about the fact the lack of consistency when knee-jerk reacting, judging the US far more harshly than their peers. A quick search of messages after the original announcements will bear that out for anyone who cares.

How 'bout them Trojans !
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,006
Local Time: 07:39 PM
I'm glad everyone is doing something but it's ridiculous to make it into a competition. Tasteless.
BVS is online now  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'm glad everyone is doing something but it's ridiculous to make it into a competition. Tasteless.
Who's making it into a competition ?
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #14
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 340
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

It was NOT about any kind of competition, it was about the fact the lack of consistency when knee-jerk reacting, judging the US far more harshly than their peers.
In terms of wealth, the US has no peers. It's as simple as that. If you want to say that Germany and the US are anywhere near equal in this regard, go for it.
strannix is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix


In terms of wealth, the US has no peers. It's as simple as that. If you want to say that Germany and the US are anywhere near equal in this regard, go for it.
Germany is a peer in that it is a relatively wealthy industrialized Western democratic nation.

I have no numbers to say Germany is or is not "wealthier" than the US, currently running record budget deficits. Do you ?

Still, if you think it was OK to criticize the US for initially offering $35M but not OK to criticize Germany for offering 25% less than that up until yeasterday, that's your call.
__________________

cardosino is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com