US Aid update - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

Oh look my country's dick is bigger than yours.

Nearly 150,000 people are dead that we know of and you're whining about this?
To quote another poster who is clearly more capable of spelling it out than I was obviously able to:

"I totally got your point. People bitched about the U.S. and its "stingy" 35M dollar original aid, but didn't bitch about other countries who had even lower amounts of aid as the U.S. Then they call you tasteless and making it into a competition..ect. I just think what you pointed out didn't fit in too well with the usual crowd here that likes to bash the U.S. and praise particularily Europe for being so much more "enlightened" than thos in the U.S."

Old 01-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Re: Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

To quote another poster who is clearly more capable of spelling it out than I was obviously able to:

"I totally got your point. People bitched about the U.S. and its "stingy" 35M dollar original aid, but didn't bitch about other countries who had even lower amounts of aid as the U.S. Then they call you tasteless and making it into a competition..ect. I just think what you pointed out didn't fit in too well with the usual crowd here that likes to bash the U.S. and praise particularily Europe for being so much more "enlightened" than thos in the U.S."
I don't see how calling on your own country to do more(which they eventually did) can be called "US bashing". This really is ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #33
War Child

Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:

Oh look my country's dick is bigger than yours.

Nearly 150,000 people are dead that we know of and you're whining about this?
Since most things going on in most places pale into insignificance compared to the death toll, are we to suspend all discussions on them ?

When some people don't get good seats for the next U2 tour will we be admonished for whining about such trivialities as compared to this ?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #34
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:

I don't see how calling on your own country to do more(which they eventually did) can be called "US bashing". This really is ridiculous.
What's ridiculous are the double-standards at work.

Much of the bashing wasn't actually from people calling on "their own country to do more". It was just Bush-bashing, plain and simple.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #35
War Child

Re: Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:

Since most things going on in most places pale into insignificance compared to the death toll, are we to suspend all discussions on them ?

When some people don't get good seats for the next U2 tour will we be admonished for whining about such trivialities as compared to this ?
You truly don't get it do you? 150,000 people are dead, countries from all over are providing aid to help these people they've never met and you are making comparisons that don't even work.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Well, it's obvious to me that people in general are doing all they can to help. U.S. aid is over $4 billion, counting private donations. There is more to this than government aid. I'm not saying government aid means nothing, just that it's not the whole story.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #37
War Child

Quote:

You truly don't get it do you?

Sure I do.

Quote:

150,000 people are dead, countries from all over are providing aid to help these people they've never met and you are making comparisons that don't even work.
So, will it be OK to whine about tickets or not ? You're drifting, again.

The comparisons are valid. The double standards being employed are valid. Whine aboou one rich countrie's lack of aid, don't whine about the other. Why ? I wouldn't know, I was happy that Aid was being pledged and said all along that more would come. The bashing continued. More came. Some were STILL bashing, claiming Bush will back out. The whole time other rich countries' relatively meager aid amount has been neglected.

US bashing in here is a bit of a sport at times, and that is the only reason other countries' aid amounts aren't under the same scrutiny. I get it, you clearly don't.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion privately with you, but if you want to do it in here you won't be doing it with me.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #38
The Fly

While I am most interested in health issues that will arise from the devastation, and the effects both short and long term, as a US citizen I'm very concerned about the amount of financial aid we will eventually give. Bush and his obscene liberal spending habits are a disgrace - and I think that beyond the enormous investment made in Iraq. We are spending the country into a dangerous financial hole.

I say let the US private sector and the rest of the world shoulder the majority of this relief effort. It's time the US gov't pass the baton as the world's great EMT. There is plenty of cash outside of our government's coffers.

As a long time conservative, I am stunned by the 180 my party has done with their fiscal irresponsibility. Ironically, the democrats now talk like budget hawks. It's astonishing...

The other concern is making sure the money and goods and services are delivered. I have litttle confidence in using the UN as a distribution arm, even a minor one. One can only imagine the what we'll hear 5 year from now with the scandals of diverting funds and profiteering off this disaster.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:39 AM

Quote:

Clearly you have not been in FYM, back when the threads were bashing the US over 9/11.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #40
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Clearly you have not been in FYM, back when the threads were bashing the US over 9/11.
I'm speaking about this paticular thread.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

um...never mind

Clearly the past threads have nothing to do with the reason many regulars who have been here a while might interpret threads in a different light.

Carry on.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
um...never mind

Clearly the past threads have nothing to do with the reason many regulars who have been here a while might interpret threads in a different light.

Carry on.
Yes there has been US bashing in here before. There has been France bashing, Germany bashing etc. But in a time like this these disussions are useless. Who cares who gave more and why people aren't complaining why certain countries aren't giving x amount. I mean it smacks of desperation when you start comparing two countries contributions. Two countries that aren't even comparable as far as wealth. These comparisons won't help those 150,000, but the contributions these countries have made will help the survivors, that's all that matters.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

As I said in the other US bashing thread...

it sickens me that people are using this as an excuse to push their agenda.....it helps no one.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:16 AM   #44
Acrobat

Quote:
As I said in the other US bashing thread...

it sickens me that people are using this as an excuse to push their agenda.....it helps no one.
Well, my agenda is "more government aid for the victims of the tsunami." So pushing my agenda actually could help a lot of people.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 AM   #45
Acrobat

Quote:

My point was that Germany is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, not EXACTLY as wealthy as the US, but were not roundly lamabasted as the US was in this forum for giving a LOT less than originally pledged by the US
What exactly is the purpose of making such a point? Are you looking for apologies, or just trying to rub people's noses in shit? I'm asking seriously - why is this point an important one for you to make?

My recollection is that most of the people you're referring to, such as myself, are Americans themselves. Thus they're more likely to complain about the actions of their own government, because they have a nominal say in what it does. It's not a double standard; it's just people participating in their own civic discourse.