US Aid update - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #16
Refugee
 
ImOuttaControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,340
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


Who's making it into a competition ?
I totally got your point. People bitched about the U.S. and its "stingy" 35M dollar original aid, but didn't bitch about other countries who had even lower amounts of aid as the U.S. Then they call you tasteless and making it into a competition..ect. I just think what you pointed out didn't fit in too well with the usual crowd here that likes to bash the U.S. and praise particularily Europe for being so much more "enlightened" than thos in the U.S.
__________________

__________________
ImOuttaControl is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 02:07 PM
the ppl who were making it a competition are the ppl who claimed America was stingy the day after the tsunami hit.

thank you,

db9
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #18
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl


I totally got your point. People bitched about the U.S. and its "stingy" 35M dollar original aid, but didn't bitch about other countries who had even lower amounts of aid as the U.S. Then they call you tasteless and making it into a competition..ect. I just think what you pointed out didn't fit in too well with the usual crowd here that likes to bash the U.S. and praise particularily Europe for being so much more "enlightened" than thos in the U.S.
Thank you. It's not like we were talking about aid amounts from Outer Mongolia or something, we're talking about a G7 (or is it 8 these days ?) member, probably the 2nd or 3rd richest nation on Earth and no one said a thing, they were probably too busy looking for another reason to bash the US to actually stop and look at the facts.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
the ppl who were making it a competition are the ppl who claimed America was stingy the day after the tsunami hit.

thank you,

db9
WTF
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


Germany is a peer in that it is a relatively wealthy industrialized Western democratic nation.

I have no numbers to say Germany is or is not "wealthier" than the US, currently running record budget deficits. Do you ?

Still, if you think it was OK to criticize the US for initially offering $35M but not OK to criticize Germany for offering 25% less than that up until yeasterday, that's your call.
You aren't comparing apples to apples. So yes I call that tasteless.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


You aren't comparing apples to apples. So yes I call that tasteless.
I see you didn't actually answer with any facts, just silly insults.

I was going to use the old cliche about denial not just being a river in Egypt, but I see from your info that you're already there.
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #22
The Fly
 
NotAnEasyThing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Posts: 146
Local Time: 08:07 AM
I am very proud to say Australia has topped them all. And this is a small country of only 20 million people. 1.8 billion in total so far (just to Indonesia) and even in US dollars this is still around 1.3 - 1.4b. I don't mind the friendly competition when it's to see who can outgive each other - that's a worthwhile competition!

Quote:
The Australian Government will contribute $1 billion over five years to the partnership. These funds will be additional to the Australia's existing development cooperation programme and will bring Australia’s commitment to Indonesia to a total of $1.8 billion over five years. While there will naturally be a clear focus on the areas devastated by the Tsunami, all areas of Indonesia will be eligible for assistance under the partnership.
See the full media release at
http://www.pm.gov.au/news/media_rele...lease1195.html
__________________
NotAnEasyThing is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


I see you didn't actually answer with any facts, just silly insults.

I was going to use the old cliche about denial not just being a river in Egypt, but I see from your info that you're already there.
I don't need to look up numbers to find out how much wealthier the US is to Germany, and really I could care less because I don't feel the need to compare. That's my point, I'm sorry you don't get that, and I'm really sorry that you find you have to insult me to make your point.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #24
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 340
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

I have no numbers to say Germany is or is not "wealthier" than the US, currently running record budget deficits. Do you ?


Seriously? You seriously have no idea if the US is a wealthier country? I can't believe that.

But here goes:

Estimated 2004 GDP (source: CIA.gov):

US = $10.99 trillion, or $37,800 per capita
Germany = $2.271 trillion, or $27,600 per capita

That's a giant, big ol' difference.

And good point about the deficits. I wouldn't have expected a conservative to imply that we can't give more because Bush has squandered all our money with tax breaks to the rich. I have to give you credit for opening that potentially uncomfortable line of reasoning.

Quote:
Still, if you think it was OK to criticize the US for initially offering $35M but not OK to criticize Germany for offering 25% less than that up until yeasterday, that's your call.
I never said it wasn't OK to criticize Germany. Neither did anyone else. Hell, I'm not even defending Germany. I'm just pointing out that criticism of the US is well founded, even compared to Germany.
__________________
strannix is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Re: Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth


Am I the only one who thinks it's pathetic that this is being turned into a competition?
No, you're not.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #26
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


I don't need to look up numbers to find out how much wealthier the US is to Germany,

Oh, OK. I guess we don't need facts any more in here.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

and really I could care less because I don't feel the need to compare. That's my point, I'm sorry you don't get that,
Comparing amounts is NOT what I was doing.

Contrasting reactions of the posters is what I was doing, others got that, I guess you didn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

and I'm really sorry that you find you have to insult me to make your point.
Pot Kettle Black
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #27
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by strannix


Seriously? You seriously have no idea if the US is a wealthier country? I can't believe that.

I didn't say that I didn't believe, I said I didn't have the numbers to prove it one way or another.

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

But here goes:

Estimated 2004 GDP (source: CIA.gov):

US = $10.99 trillion, or $37,800 per capita
Germany = $2.271 trillion, or $27,600 per capita

That's a giant, big ol' difference.

And good point about the deficits. I wouldn't have expected a conservative to imply that we can't give more because Bush has squandered all our money with tax breaks to the rich. I have to give you credit for opening that potentially uncomfortable line of reasoning.

Labels labels labels. I voted for Kerry, does that make me conservative ?

My point was that Germany is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, not EXACTLY as wealthy as the US, but were not roundly lamabasted as the US was in this forum for giving a LOT less than originally pledged by the US
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,649
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino


Oh, OK. I guess we don't need facts any more in here.
You started the thread comparing the two, so really the burden of bringing in facts was yours.


Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Comparing amounts is NOT what I was doing.

Contrasting reactions of the posters is what I was doing, others got that, I guess you didn't.
Maybe you should look through the thread again. Not comparing? And by the way I wasn't the only one who thought it was tastless what you were doing, yet I was the one you picked on.



Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Pot Kettle Black
I called your thread tasteless some called it pathetic, others agreed, but you actually personally insulted me. So really there's no need for that label.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 PM   #29
War Child
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OC
Posts: 711
Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


You started the thread comparing the two, so really the burden of bringing in facts was yours.

I did. I brought in the fact that many of the posters in here lambasted the US for only originally pledging $35M but were quiet when Germany only pledged $27M. Others (including)piped in with the excuse that Germany wasn't quite AS wealthy as the US, the implication being it was OK for them to be one of the lowest donators up until yesterday.

rif.org
__________________
cardosino is offline  
Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #30
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 03:07 PM
Re: US Aid update

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino
From BBC

"USA
$350m in government donations, plus military assistance involving 12,600 personnel, 21 ships, 14 cargo planes and more than 90 helicopters."

I noticed Germany just in the last day or so raised their donation from $27M. Didn't notice any outrage towards them on these forums, and they are among the richest nations in the World.
Oh look my country's dick is bigger than yours.

Nearly 150,000 people are dead that we know of and you're whining about this?
__________________

__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com