US Again Says NO Expanding UN Role in Iraq - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
I'm sure there is an expanded role for the UN. It depends, in part, on the conditions the UN (or any individual country that sends aid) for participation. Poland seems to be providing aid quite happily - where are the other countries?

Old 09-03-2003, 11:59 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I'm sure there is an expanded role for the UN. It depends, in part, on the conditions the UN (or any individual country that sends aid) for participation. Poland seems to be providing aid quite happily - where are the other countries?
Kid tells his parents he's gonna make a chocolate cake. Parents say it's a bad idea, and you are gonna make a huge mess of the kitchen if you try and do it the way you want, and by yourself. We can help you make a chocolate cake, but it's a different way to the way you want to, it will take longer, and we get some of the cake at the end. Kid says Fuck off, I'm doing it my way, and I get all the cake, and just you watch you silly Old Parents, I won't mess up the kitchen. The kid totally fucks up the cake and the kitchens a complete disaster. He comes back to the parents and says, right well now you have to help me clean up. But you clean up my way, and you still get no cake.

The parents could (a) offer to clean up, on the condition that they get some cake. (b) Do the kid a favour and help the kid clean up, under his rules, accept that they are not getting any cake, and hope that the kid lies in bed that night and learns something from the event. Or (c) the kid asked for it and should learn a lesson the hard way by cleaning up his own mess.

If there weren't human lives involved I'd hope it would be (c), but 'cos there are I hope it's (b) and that the Bush Administration has a 'moment of clarity' over it all (yeah, right).

And thats the answer to "where are the other countries?" Aside from humanitarian reasons, and doing the US a favour, no other countries apart from the US, Britain and Australia should feel obligated to have to clean it up.

Old 09-04-2003, 12:10 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Cute.

The whole point of assistance is humanitarian reasons. Unfortunately, every country is looking for the $$$ in Iraq.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:17 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Poland seems to be providing aid quite happily - where are the other countries?
Poland is there for every reason except altruism. And they're recently joined by what, 8 Bulgarians? Also there for the same reason.

All that's missing are 5 Slovaks, 3 Romanians and a Bosnian.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #20
War Child

Quote:

every country is looking for the $$$ in Iraq.
Follow the leader.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:39 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Poland is there for every reason except altruism. And they're recently joined by what, 8 Bulgarians? Also there for the same reason.

All that's missing are 5 Slovaks, 3 Romanians and a Bosnian.
Who and why:

http://www.time.com/time/europe/maga...480246,00.html
Old 09-04-2003, 06:55 AM   #22
Babyface

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden

Kid tells his parents he's gonna make a chocolate cake. Parents say it's a bad idea, and you are gonna make a huge mess of the kitchen if you try and do it the way you want, and by yourself. We can help you make a chocolate cake, but it's a different way to the way you want to, it will take longer, and we get some of the cake at the end. Kid says Fuck off, I'm doing it my way, and I get all the cake, and just you watch you silly Old Parents, I won't mess up the kitchen. The kid totally fucks up the cake and the kitchens a complete disaster. He comes back to the parents and says, right well now you have to help me clean up. But you clean up my way, and you still get no cake.

The parents could (a) offer to clean up, on the condition that they get some cake. (b) Do the kid a favour and help the kid clean up, under his rules, accept that they are not getting any cake, and hope that the kid lies in bed that night and learns something from the event. Or (c) the kid asked for it and should learn a lesson the hard way by cleaning up his own mess.

If there weren't human lives involved I'd hope it would be (c), but 'cos there are I hope it's (b) and that the Bush Administration has a 'moment of clarity' over it all (yeah, right).

And thats the answer to "where are the other countries?" Aside from humanitarian reasons, and doing the US a favour, no other countries apart from the US, Britain and Australia should feel obligated to have to clean it up.
well said
I hope it will be C
Old 09-04-2003, 10:31 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden

Follow the leader.
Or not, if it means more $$$.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:14 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The thing that makes it tough for me is that there are human lives involved. The other thing is that this unilateral deal has gone so far it's possibly too late to do anything about the anti-U.S. sentiment. Considering that some of these people had no qualms about blowing up the U.N. offices I wonder if it'd even make a difference now?
Old 09-04-2003, 12:56 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:44 PM

Quote:
DRESDEN, Germany (Reuters ) - France and Germany on Thursday rejected a U.S. proposal for a U.N. resolution seeking international help in Iraq, saying the proposals did not yield enough responsibility to Iraqis or to the United Nations.
Can't say I'm surprised.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Can't say I'm surprised.
Me either. I guess GWB is going to have to clean up his own mess. I wouldn't have a problem with this if lives weren't endangered by it. Yuck.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:23 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
But lives will be at stake and our deficit will grow higher and higher. Oh the mess we're in...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But lives will be at stake and our deficit will grow higher and higher. Oh the mess we're in...
I know. Damn. The hell of the situation is that it's *our* mess, not just GWB's.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #29
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I know. Damn. The hell of the situation is that it's *our* mess, not just GWB's.

Unfortunately you are correct! My children will be paying for his mistakes, whether it is in underfunded education now or the rape of Social Security.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:26 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Is the sky really falling?