US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2 - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #886
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Wow. It's not often I find myself agreeing with what Rudy Giuliani has to say.
I agree with Giuliani as well, but my skeptical side also recognizes that he's just repositioning himself for when the rest of his NYC-days skeletons come tumbling out of the very large closet they are currently inhabiting.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #887
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

This is how many of the Mormon's I've met think though - they have to appear to be perfect. .
Pious "Christians" are far worse, especially those that knock another Christian's faith.

dbs

Old 11-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #888
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I agree with Giuliani as well, but my skeptical side also recognizes that he's just repositioning himself for when the rest of his NYC-days skeletons come tumbling out of the very large closet they are currently inhabiting.
Oh definitely. But at least he was rational enough to at least publicly give Obama credit for it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
“It’s just not a good idea for people running for President of the United States who potentially could be the role model for a lot of people to talk about their personal failings while they were kids because it opens the doorway to other kids thinking, ‘well I can do that too and become President of the United States,’” Romney told an Iowa audience today. “I think that was a huge error by Barack Obama…it is just the wrong way for people who want to be the leader of the free world.”
. Yeah, I'm gonna do something just 'cause Obama said he did it once. Okay, Romney...

I agree with you guys, that whole "holier-than-thou" attitude irritates me, too. Obama was simply being honest, which is kinda nice to see for a change. And hey, it's best that he shared that stuff now-avoid a big mess ahead of time by beating the rush of people who would've brought that stuff out down the line. Though really, I don't care one way or another about Obama's childhood-so long as what he did/does in his personal life doesn't affect his job performance or lead to people getting hurt or killed, then it's really none of my business. And that goes for all other politicians, too, regardless of what party they belong to.

Angela
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #890
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Oh definitely. But at least he was rational enough to at least publicly give Obama credit for it.
It's a slippery slope though w/Obama divulging this, for a few reasons.

Obama had to come out and say something because this week Hilary was threatening to divulge "something negative" about Obama, it was all in the press that Hilary was sitting on a "bombshell" about Obama's past, but Obama diffused this by preempting Hilary's "bombshell" by addressing the issue.

He will be the net winner in this fiasco.

The reason this hurts Obama is because:

1-Casual drug users will have a claim that drugs should be legalized ,or may feel they shouldn't be arrested because Obama used drugs in the past.

2-That you had bad behavior in the past that was unsavory needn't be made mentioned publicly as it is cleary in your past; the only time it should be discussed is if somebody broaches the subject.
A lot kids do drugs because they reason that if so and so did it and turned out ok, why shouldn't I give it a whirl ? I know I have.

Where Obama calulating diffused this potentail problem was by divulging it in his book first, thereby minimizing a larger distraction later.

So Obama is the net winner in all this, and did the wisest thing based on all the circumstances, although I don't know if sprouting off about past youthful indiscrections in a book is the wisest of all choices.

I'm wrought with ambivalence over this matter.

dbs
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #891
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
1-Casual drug users will have a claim that drugs should be legalized ,or may feel they shouldn't be arrested because Obama used drugs in the past.
How will they make that claim exactly? Because someone famous admitted to using them, even though he clearly spoke negatively of that fact? If there are any who try to make that claim, they are the fringe and needn't be worried about.

Quote:
2-That you had bad behavior in the past that was unsavory needn't be made mentioned publicly as it is cleary in your past; the only time it should be discussed is if somebody broaches the subject.
A lot kids do drugs because they reason that if so and so did it and turned out ok, why shouldn't I give it a whirl ? I know I have.
I understand what you're saying, and you're right, some kids may see this and say "if he turned out ok, a little try won't hurt me." But really, those who use his comments as an excuse to try drugs would've found another excuse without Obama's comments out there. But Obama clearly said that it was a waste of time and basically an unfortunate mistake of his youth.

What I don't agree with is never speaking of your mistakes unless asked. Besides, I don't understand how speaking about one's past in a book is somehow dangerous. It's not as if many kids read books these days anyway.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #892
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
There's not a single person who wasn't going to use drugs who said, "Ah, but Barack Obama said he mistakenly used them as a teen, so now I'll give it a shot." And anyone who says so is a liar looking for an excuse.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:

Tell that to Gore and Kerry
Yeah.....neither Gore nor Kerry were very likeable.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:45 PM
I don't care what Obama did in the past. It's the past.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #895
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Yeah, I don't think there are too many alcoholic coke abusers out there shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, if it was good enough for George W, it's good enough for me."
Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #896
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 AM
I think this gives credence to the argument that Obama really isn't black.

when black men in America use cocaine
they go to prison for many years
Old 11-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #897
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

It's a slippery slope though w/Obama divulging this, for a few reasons.

Your hero is a recovering alcoholic, was that a slippery slope for you?

Do the two sides of your mouth ever speak to each other?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #898
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Yeah, I don't think there are too many alcoholic coke abusers out there shrugging their shoulders and saying "Well, if it was good enough for George W, it's good enough for me."
you never know what you say, do or even type on how those actions can have some affect on a person, even indirectly.

Listen to the song "One".

dbs
Old 11-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #899
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

How do you not know you're a joke?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #900
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Quote:
you never know what you say, do or even type on how those actions can have some affect on a person, even indirectly.

Listen to the song "One".

dbs
But each time you claim homosexuality is a sin, it's not affecting homosexuals?

Give. Me. A. Break.