US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't matter if we pulled out every last soldier, Iraq became a stable democracy, and there was 50 years of peace in the Middle East.

The Democrats are now married to a loss in Iraq. Success there is a failure for them as a party.

diamond said:
bush_cowboy-hat.jpg

He's a man's man.

dbs

He's from Connecticut, isn't he?

Perhaps that photo is from a fancy dress ball at Yale.

AEON said:

The Democrats are now married to a loss in Iraq. Success there is a failure for them as a party.

Just because you keep repeating something over and over doesn't make something true.

You continually say this, yet you have never shown one shred of evidence where the Dems want this to fail. Maybe the Dems just don't have the ability to polish a turd the way the Republicans do.

AEON said:

i read that this morning, too. i guess i'm completely wrong. Iraq is a smashing success!

or, wait, did you look at what happened througout 2007? or are you only going to look at September because it's the most convenient?

either way, i look forward to seeing all the political process that the drop in violence is supposed to enable. :up:

(and, note, lowest levels since 2006 ... that's kind of a misunderestimation, isn't it?)

the point here, as always, is to show measured progress in political terms. there is no military solution to Iraq.

AEON said:

say WHAT?!?!?!

this was a Republican war from the beginning and all the way through. the people who fucked everything up -- from Bush to Rumsfeld to L. Paul Bremmer to the Blackwater yahoos -- are all REPUBLICANS.

maybe if your party could fight a war -- you lost Vietnam, too, whereas the Dems won WW2 -- then you might have a point.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You continually say this, yet you have never shown one shred of evidence where the Dems want this to fail.

House majority whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina was asked by the Washington Post what Democrats would think if Petraeus reports next month that the war is going well. "That would be a real big problem for us," Clyburn candidly replied.

financeguy said:

He's from Connecticut, isn't he?

Perhaps that photo is from a fancy dress ball at Yale.

the man clears shrubbery from his property because it relaxes him.

the irony lost is that there are many who must do the same thing to eat.

Irvine511 said:

either way, i look forward to seeing all the political process that the drop in violence is supposed to enable. :up:

I'm sure you are.

AEON said:

I'm sure you are.

if you need to tell yourself that i'm actively cheering against the US in order to make yourself feel better about the fact that the Republicans have started and lost yet another adventurist war, then go right ahead and do that.

i'll spend my time worrying about the tens of thousands of needless deaths and start to think of ways to wean ourselves off our oil dependence.

AEON said:

Your posts tell us that.

as i've said, it's awful, but we do know that reality has a well-known liberal bias.

what i really want is for every last person who voted for bush in 2000 and especially in 2004 to apologize to every single person who has died in this fiasco.

House majority whip Jim Clyburn of South Carolina was asked by the Washington Post what Democrats would think if Petraeus reports next month that the war is going well. "That would be a real big problem for us," Clyburn candidly replied.

One could interpret this many ways. I don't have the context of the situation, but what if he meant it would be bad for us as Americans because it would be misleading?

Really, you'll have to do better than a one line quote.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
One could interpret this many ways. I don't have the context of the situation, but what if he meant it would be bad for us as Americans because it would be misleading?

Really, you'll have to do better than a one line quote.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.

I think the USA has a dysfunctional govt at best, and this is after 200 years people, so give me a break.

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow you're actually comparing the two? Someone must be desparate...

Noooo..you guys are, and politicians on the left.

The left have attempted to set "bench marks" demanding that Iraq have a "functioning" govt, when ours is barely functional.

Their duplicitous motives didn't hold up to scrunity though and they've since back down from such outrageous expectations.

dbs

Just that the Left have attempted to set impossible expectations in Iraq for duplitious reasons and they are married to that turd of "failure in iraq".

dbs

Or is it that the Left has expectations that would have been reasonable, but are impossible because of the handling by this administration?

The last 5 pages have virtually nothing to do with the thread topic.

diamond said:

Noooo..you guys are, and politicians on the left.

The left have attempted to set "bench marks" demanding that Iraq have a "functioning" govt, when ours is barely functional.

Their duplicitous motives didn't hold up to scrunity though and they've since back down from such outrageous expectations.

dbs

Can you please decipher this for me? Or just inform me when you join our world again and at least start making some sense?

yolland said:
The last 5 pages have virtually nothing to do with the thread topic.

I think success or failure in Iraq is indeed a 2008 campaign issue.

Matter of fact one of the main issues, if not the main issue.

dbs

Back of the bus --->
.....Jews.

Groups criticize McCain for calling U.S. 'Christian nation'
Story Highlights

Sen. John McCain says Constitution established U.S. as a "Christian nation"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Jewish groups on Monday sharply criticized Sen. John McCain's comments that he would prefer a Christian president to lead the United States.

The Arizona Republican's remarks came in an interview with Beliefnet, a Web site that covers religious issues and affairs.

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who has a grounding in my faith," the GOP presidential hopeful told the Web site in an interview published Saturday.

McCain also said he agreed with a recent poll that 55 percent of Americans believe the U.S. Constitution establishes a Christian nation. "I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation," he said.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Can you please decipher this for me? Or just inform me when you join our world again and at least start making some sense?

I believe what he is saying is that it doesn't matter how bad Iraq is as long as reality is liberally-biased (to quote Irvine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom