US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2 - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #556
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:58 AM
thanks brit. i've been re-writing my response for a long time now, and you said it a lot more eloquently than i could have.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #557
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Thank you for this article! It's a very interesting read!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #558
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
thanks brit. i've been re-writing my response for a long time now, and you said it a lot more eloquently than i could have.
Thank you!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #559
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Is Japan now our ally?
Yes, they are.

What's that got to do with justifying the atomic bomb?

It's been covered already, but that's a ridiculous attempt to defend it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #560
She's the One

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Because Jesus said to bomb your enemies into the Stone Age. He did! Look it up!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #561
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Because Jesus said to bomb your enemies into the Stone Age. He did! Look it up!
Clearly, what was it? "Blessed are the violent for they shall murder the earth"?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #562
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:58 AM
I remember, back in high school, reading accounts from people who (miraculously) lived through the Japan bombings. Truly heartwrenching stuff. There was no excuse for these innocent people to suffer the way they did. Absolutely none. I'm sorry, I will never agree to the idea that it's justifiable to punish innocent people because of the actions of a FEW idiots. Never.

Angela
Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 PM   #563
Blue Crack Supplier

Clearly we are misinterpreting the Bible here. Only "true Christians" can effectively quote the Bible. C'mon, guys.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #564
She's the One

Local Time: 05:58 AM
You're right. It's wrong to be gay, but right to bomb the children of your enemies.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #565
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

Is that what the U.S. chanted before dropping nukes on Japan?? Reread your history book and get back to me
You might want to reread yours and not liberal rewrites.
Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan

Japan wasn't on the verge of surrendering before the bombs were dropped.
Matter of fact, high ranking Japamese officials voted 3-3 after both bombs were dropped to continue the war-they were still undecided.

It wasn't until the emperor cast the deciding vote to surrender, making it 4-3.
Then Japan surrendered-this only after their country was devastated, and Russia was also threatening to enter the mix next.

"Following the bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 (right), the Japanese government met to consider what to do next. The emperor had been urging since June that Japan find some way to end the war, but the Japanese Minister of War and the heads of both the Army and the Navy held to their position that Japan should wait and see if arbitration via the Soviet Union might still produce something less than a surrender. Military leaders also hoped that if they could hold out until the ground invasion of Japan began, they would be able to inflict so many casualties on the Allies that Japan still might win some sort of negotiated settlement. Next came the virtually simultaneous arrival of news of the Soviet declaration of war on Japan of August 8, 1945, and the atomic bombing of Nagasaki of the following day. Another Imperial Council was held the night of August 9-10, and this time the vote on surrender was a tie, 3-to-3. For the first time in a generation, the emperor (right) stepped forward from his normally ceremonial-only role and personally broke the tie, ordering Japan to surrender. On August 10, 1945, Japan offered to surrender to the Allies, the only condition being that the emperor be allowed to remain the nominal head of state. "

dbs
Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #566
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
You're right. It's wrong to be gay, but right to bomb the children of your enemies.
The Gospel isn't called "Good News" for NOTHING, Martha.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #567
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
Dropping the bomb on Japan was a terrible thing to do.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #568
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You might want to reread yours and not liberal rewrites.
Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan

Japan wasn't on the verge of surrendering before the bombs were dropped.
Matter of fact, high ranking Japamese officials voted 3-3 after both bombs were dropped to continue the war-they were still undecided.

It wasn't until the emperor cast the deciding vote to surrender, making it 4-3.
Then Japan surrendered-this only after their country was devastated, and Russia was also threatening to enter the mix next.

"Following the bombing of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 (right), the Japanese government met to consider what to do next. The emperor had been urging since June that Japan find some way to end the war, but the Japanese Minister of War and the heads of both the Army and the Navy held to their position that Japan should wait and see if arbitration via the Soviet Union might still produce something less than a surrender. Military leaders also hoped that if they could hold out until the ground invasion of Japan began, they would be able to inflict so many casualties on the Allies that Japan still might win some sort of negotiated settlement. Next came the virtually simultaneous arrival of news of the Soviet declaration of war on Japan of August 8, 1945, and the atomic bombing of Nagasaki of the following day. Another Imperial Council was held the night of August 9-10, and this time the vote on surrender was a tie, 3-to-3. For the first time in a generation, the emperor (right) stepped forward from his normally ceremonial-only role and personally broke the tie, ordering Japan to surrender. On August 10, 1945, Japan offered to surrender to the Allies, the only condition being that the emperor be allowed to remain the nominal head of state. "

dbs
What does your response have to do with you quoting me asking if the U.S. chanted "Death to Japan" prior to dropping the bombs?

My point is, people don't need to advertise their intentions for there to be a threat. As with the example of nuking Japan, it is quite clear that anyone who holds nuclear weapons in their custody has the capabilities to use them.

And stop trying to make assumptions about my education sources. You know nothing about me. Knock it off.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #569
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:58 AM
1-
We never chanted "Death to Japan", so why you brought it up is beyond me, however Iran is now chanting "Death To Israel" and Japan attacked us first-that's why they got nuked.
2-
Israel is under constant threat, and now Iran has gone more public with it-by chanting "Death To Israel"
3-
And this exactly the reason why the free world doesn't want Iran to acquire nukes, their intentions are not too well hidden.

dbs
Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #570
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
1-
We never chanted "Death to Japan", so why you brought it up is beyond me, however Iran is now chanting "Death To Israel" and Japan attacked us first-that's why they got nuked.

dbs
Japan attacked a military base located in a place that was not even part of the United States at the time. Once again, that is 100% NOT cause for the use of nuclear weapons on 2 cities full of innocent civilians!