US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2 - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
We know conservatives and liberals think differently - but this???

Quote:
The mentally ill prefer Bush

Would you have to be insane to vote for George W. Bush? Well, no. But if the conclusions of a recent study hold up, it couldn't hurt. During the 2004 presidential election, a social work master's student at Southern Connecticut State University surveyed 69 psychiatric outpatients, and he found the more severe the person's psychosis, the more likely he or she was to vote for President Bush. While the study was designed as an advocacy project—researcher Christopher Lohse said he hoped to get out the mentally ill vote—when the survey results were analyzed, a clear trend emerged. Lohse said that his results imply that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader, pointing to a 1977 study showing that psychiatric patients preferred Nixon over McGovern.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...ary-fundraiser

And of course, is there anyone better to preach to people about self-control than Bill Clinton?
You honestly think it's a fair comparison to compare a guy who can't keep it in his pants and lies about it (hopefully he can now, who knows) to people who believe that that Sept 11th and the slaughter of all those people was an inside job involving the US govt, and their shouting of that anywhere they can? That's quite a stretch. Unless of course 9/11 is somehow connected to Bill Clinton's sex life.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 AM
I'm a psychiatric patient--I'm an autistic--and I didn't vote for Bush.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #454
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...ary-fundraiser

And of course, is there anyone better to preach to people about self-control than Bill Clinton?
Actually I was a little bit proud of Bill here.

He stood up to a heckler, but I became disappointed when Bill had to take a swipe at Republicans in doing so with the Bohemian Grove comment.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #455
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
The mentally ill prefer Bush
Not if you count Bush Derangement Syndrome:

"the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the policies, the presidency—nay—the very existence of George W. Bush."

There's been an epidemic of this of late.

Quote:
a 1977 study showing that psychiatric patients preferred Nixon over McGovern.
Nixon won the popular vote 61% to 37%, other than draft-dodgers and acid freaks, who didn't prefer Nixon over McGovern?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Did you understand the article?

It's just two surveys on voting behaviour of mentally ill people.

Quote:
his results imply that psychotic patients prefer an authoritative leader
Why getting all that defensive over that study?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
When asked, this June, if he would agree to be president if it hinged on his becoming a Red Sox fan.

“I have great respect for people who really are fans of the team they say they are fans of,” Mr. Giuliani said. “But probably that’s a deal I could not make.”
Quote:
October 25, 2007

Bronx Jeers for Giuliani, Now Rooting for the Red Sox
By ALAN FEUER

As he moves about the country campaigning for the White House, Rudolph W. Giuliani is not always kind in describing where he comes from. New York City, he will say, is a tough town, hard to govern. It’s liberal to a fault and unruly as a child.

Now, however, there has come what is for many the true unpardonable insult: Mr. Giuliani has declared he will be rooting for the dreaded Boston Red Sox against the Colorado Rockies in the World Series, which began last night. From the Bronx to his childhood haunts in Brooklyn, there was a baffled anger bordering on rage.

“They should burn his seat that he sat in at Yankee Stadium — how’s that?” said George Patsin, a Brooklyn restaurateur. “They should burn it on TV so I can watch.”

It would seem that the timing is particularly galling to the faithful in New York. Bad enough that Joe Torre, the manager, is gone. Bad enough that half the team might follow. But Rudy cheering for Pedroia and Ortiz? It was, in short, too much.

“The word I’d use is ‘stunned,’” said Freddy Schuman, who for nearly 20 years has been showing up at Yankee games and banging on a frying pan with spoons. “I tell ya, I just can’t understand how a Yankee fan like him would all the sudden go for the Red Sox. It must be politics. I don’t get it. How do you do a thing like that?”

The betrayal hurts the more because if one were forced to pick the premiere New York fan, Mr. Giuliani would top the list.

He is a fan’s fan — a man whose very organs are likely etched with pinstripes. As mayor of New York, he used to wear his cap to City Hall. He is known to schedule political events so as not to miss a ballgame in the Bronx.

He once told Diane Sawyer he was fairly certain that God himself was rooting for the team.

By way of explanation, Mr. Giuliani couched his shift in loyalty as support for the American League. (“I’m an American League fan and I go with the American League team,” he told reporters — not coincidentally — in the primary state and Boston neighbor of New Hampshire.) “I thought he was loyal to New York,” said Kebrae H. Scott, 30, a maintenance worker who wore a Yankees cap as he was heading to his home in the Ebbets Fields Apartments in Brooklyn near where Mr. Giuliani grew up.

While it’s clear that fans develop an allegiance not just to a ball club, but a league, the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry is so embittered it’s hard to imagine any situation in which a fan of Mr. Giuliani’s stature could root for the sworn enemy of a beloved hometown team.

“It’s what you do when you run for president, I guess,” said Mike Francesa of “Mike and the Mad Dog,” a program on WFAN radio. “When in Rome, act like a Roman. I’m sure if he was stumping in Colorado next week, he’d be rooting for the Rockies.”

To be sure, politicizing baseball is neither something new nor a partisan problem, as Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton has found out. She tried to split the difference between the Yankees, her adopted team, and her favored Chicago Cubs — a case of double loyalty for which Mr. Giuliani gave her grief.

Perhaps because the moment seemed so ripe for turnaround, the anger was decidedly unsubtle when The Daily News and The New York Post both ran doctored photographs of Mr. Giuliani on Wednesday in a navy ball cap with a bright red Boston ‘‘B.” “Traitor!” claimed The News. The Post, on its own cover, was equally damning: “Red Coat,” it declared.

Some politicos suggested that Mr. Giuliani may have confused the Red Sox with a red state.

“This is a major story,” said Maurice Carroll, director the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. “Rudy Giuliani endorses a team from Ted Kennedy’s state? A state that was once headed by Mitt Romney? Rudy Giuliani is a great American in many ways, but he must have simply lost track in this case. He’s got to win red states like Colorado and he comes out in favor of Massachusetts?”

To the former mayor’s credit, there are some who think it’s fine for a Yankee fan, in a time of need, to cheer the Sox. “It’s not that big of a deal,” said George Manesis, who runs a sports bar, Billy’s, near Yankee Stadium. “He’s going for votes now, plain and simple. But I don’t think he’s a traitor for doing that.”

None of this would have merited a mention had the former mayor not been so expressive of his passion for the Yankees (and his hatred for Red Sox). He once told reporters at a City Hall briefing: “What can I tell you? This is me. I’m a Yankee fan. I love the Yankees.” And he confessed to Glamour magazine last year, “The only tattoo I would ever consider getting would be a Yankee tattoo.”

Of course, his most revealing comment on the subject was perhaps the answer he provided to The Providence Journal in Rhode Island when asked, this June, if he would agree to be president if it hinged on his becoming a Red Sox fan.

“I have great respect for people who really are fans of the team they say they are fans of,” Mr. Giuliani said. “But probably that’s a deal I could not make.”

Old 10-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #458
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:19 AM
It's too long to post, but there's an interesting article in this weekend's New York Times Magazine about the changing evangelical political landscape.

'The Evangelical Crackup'

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
It's too long to post, but there's an interesting article in this weekend's New York Times Magazine about the changing evangelical political landscape.

'The Evangelical Crackup'
The most striking change in the political landscape in the past generation has been the "religion gap," voters (especially whites) who attend church "often" overwhelmingly going Republican while those that attend church "rarely or never" skew Democratic. Besides further polarizing politics it adds an underlying suspicion to the motives and actions of other party.

In short, "Democrats do the bidding of Satan" -- "Republicans want a Christian theocracy."

Dodgy title aside, I would agree with the article in that more and more Christians now see that religion shouldn't have the political affiliation of (R) or (D) next to it. Which isn't to say that letting our political beliefs be shaped in part by our religious beliefs is a bad thing, I've argued otherwise many times. Only that the danger lies in the perception (even if true) that one political party now panders to religious believers while the other supports social legislation that ostracizes them.

It's easy to see how we got here, now we just have to reverse the process. Starting locally.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #460
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:19 AM
I'm still trying to figure out which part of The Bible talks about using politics to make our culture more "moral".
Old 10-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #461
ONE
love, blood, life

Fox told me: “I think the religious community is probably reflective of the rest of the nation — it is very divided right now. This election process is going to reveal a lot about where the religious right and the religious community is. It will show unity or the lack of it.”

But liberals, he said, should not start gloating. “Some might compare the religious right to a snake,” he said. “We may be in our hole right now, but we can come out and bite you at any time.”

Wow. He sounds just like Jesus!

I do compare the religious right to a snake though, that's for sure.

“Obama sounds too much like Osama,” said Kayla Nickel of Westlink. “When he says his name, I am like, ‘I am not voting for a Muslim!’ ”

People with attitudes and utter ignorance like this shouldn't even have the right to vote.

When I read your statement Kayla, I was like, I can not believe anyone can be that unintelligent, like, like.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

“Obama sounds too much like Osama,” said Kayla Nickel of Westlink. “When he says his name, I am like, ‘I am not voting for a Muslim!’ ”

Barak Hussein Osama

does not sound too Presidential.

Who wants people naming their kids Hussein?

his name is just one letter off from containing the names of America's two greatest enemies since the end of the Cold War.

You know, he could change it.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #463
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Barak Hussein Osama

does not sound too Presidential.

Who wants people naming their kids Hussein?

his name is just one letter off from containing the names of America's two greatest enemies since the end of the Cold War.

You know, he could change it.
Jesus Smith, anyone?

Oh, wait....Many conservatives aren't too fond of the Hispanic population either.

Darn. I guess you're screwed, Kayla.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #464
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe something more American like Jesus' step Dad

Joseph? Smith
Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM   #465
Blue Crack Addict

We can't have this

Barak

Hussien