US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he's stupid, but I certainly don't think him smart. I think his biggest mistake, more than anything, was something very human, in that he saw his father's struggles with Saddam. He knew Saddam was bad guy, and people I'm sure constantly told him that. So, he acted on a gut feeling. And he was right, Saddam is a bad guy. But his biggest issue is that he's not a politician. He doesn't understand patience and how you need to let the processes of things like the UN function. They were investigating Saddam. And he couldn't wait anymore.

I think he just genuinely thought he was doing the right thing, and he's just not a politician.

He's a man with no foresight and an arrogance to not consider any possibility of being wrong. He's too lazy to educate himself on the complexities of the Middle East (there are Shia and Sunni??), and seemingly not bothered that he didn't know it. His command of the English language is awful, he's inarticulate and seemingly disinterested in anything aside from his own view. Yeah, I think he's stupid.

I think Bush is just plain dumb. He only got his degrees because of his family's money. He doesn't know anything about the Middle East. The neocons are wrong about the Middle East. You can't impose democracy on a people that doesn't want it. Iraq has no heritage of a democracy. The Middle East was divided up by the European powers. Arabs consider themselves members of a tribe, not citizens of a state. The Wahhabis and the spiritual descendents of the Deobandis of India, the Taliban, have the upper hand as far as Islam is concerned, unfortunately.

anitram said:
He's a man with no foresight and an arrogance to not consider any possibility of being wrong. He's too lazy to educate himself on the complexities of the Middle East (there are Shia and Sunni??), and seemingly not bothered that he didn't know it. His command of the English language is awful, he's inarticulate and seemingly disinterested in anything aside from his own view.

And historians will not treat his contempt for the Constitution kindly. His educational policies will be criticized more so as the damage they're doing becomes more apparent.

AEON said:

Do you really think he's stupid? Seriously? I mean, like that really slow guy behind the counter at that backwoods gas station kind of stupid?

As I've said before - history will be very kind to W.

no. he has shit for brains.

i think history will rank him amongst the worst presidents in history.

AEON said:

Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman were also very unpopular.

they didn't lose two wars, all international respect for the US, and the city of new orleans.

it's not that Bush went into Iraq that's so bad, is that he was so INCOMPETENT that he unsuccessfully invaded Iraq.

he is INCOMPETENT. he CAN'T GOVERN.

that's the issue. and it's completely independent of popularity.

anitram said:
He's a man with no foresight and an arrogance to not consider any possibility of being wrong. He's too lazy to educate himself on the complexities of the Middle East (there are Shia and Sunni??), and seemingly not bothered that he didn't know it. His command of the English language is awful, he's inarticulate and seemingly disinterested in anything aside from his own view. Yeah, I think he's stupid.

and compounding the problem is he surrounds himself with people who tell him he's smart.

anitram said:
He's a man with no foresight and an arrogance to not consider any possibility of being wrong.

. His command of the English language is awful, he's inarticulate and seemingly disinterested in anything aside from his own view. .
bush_cowboy-hat.jpg

He's a man's man.

dbs

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

they didn't lose two wars, all international respect for the US, and the city of new orleans.

it's not that Bush went into Iraq that's so bad, is that he was so INCOMPETENT that he unsuccessfully invaded Iraq.

that's the issue. and it's completely independent of popularity.

Not sure if you noticed - but it looks like things have turned for the better in Iraq...

AEON said:

Not sure if you noticed - but it looks like things have turned for the better in Iraq...

where? how? because there have been a few tactical gains? violence remains at all-time high levels. if we'd made any sort of difference, there'd be political gains as well. nothing has changed in Iraq. the surge has done nothing it was intended to do.

in Iraq, it's all about the political. nothing else matters.

and no talk of "turning a corner" and "last throes" said either today, in 2005 or in 2003, makes a smidgen of difference.

http://therealrudy.org/blog/14411-r...raise-with-bo-derek?play=1&utm_source=rgemail

We can imagine how busy Rudy is. Running for president while distorting your record on 9/11, takes a lot of time and energy. So I can't say we were surprised to learn that Rudy (plus Romney, Thompson and McCain) was too busy to attend Thursday night's debate on minority issues hosted by Tavis Smiley.

But where was Rudy going? John Ehrenfeld, a BNF field producer, volunteered to track him down. Turned out he would be right here in Southern California accepting an endorsement from widely discredited Pete Wilson, who's known for exploiting racial division for votes, and pushing the horrible proposition 187. Then off to a $2300-a-plate fundraiser at the Biltmore Four Seasons in Santa Barbara with Bo Derek.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Saturday that he would prefer a Christian president over someone of a different faith, calling it "an important part of our qualifications to lead."

In an interview with Beliefnet, a multi-denominational Web site that covers religion and spirituality, the Republican presidential hopeful was asked if a Muslim candidate could be a good president.

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said. "But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president."

Later, McCain said, "I would vote for a Muslim if he or she was the candidate best able to lead the country and defend our political values."

Asked about Republican rivals Mitt Romney's Mormon faith, McCain said, "I think that Governor Romney's religion should not, absolutely not, be a disqualifying factor when people consider his candidacy for president of the United States."

The Arizona senator was also asked about the confusion over which Christian denomination he belongs to. "I was raised Episcopalian, I have attended the North Phoenix Baptist Church for many years and I am a Christian," McCain said. He added that he has considered being baptized in the Baptist church, but he does not want to do it during the presidential race because "it might appear as if I was doing something that I otherwise wouldn't do."

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

And as bad as you think he is - he is TWICE as popular as the Democrat controlled House and Senate.

AEON said:

And as bad as you think he is - he is TWICE as popular as the Democrat controlled House and Senate.

1. the disapproval of the Congress is due to their inability to stop this debacle in Iraq
2. Congress always, always has low approval ratings
3. disapproval of "Congress" has nothing to do with disapproving of Democrats who rank much, much higher than Republicans on nearly all issues, from health care to education to the war on terror to Iraq.
4. you're changing the conversation again. stick with the issue: Bush sucks and Iraq was a mistake.

Irvine511 said:

violence remains at all-time high levels.

Associated Press. October 1st, 2007.

BAGHDAD - Deaths among American forces and Iraqi civilians fell dramatically last month to their lowest levels in more than a year, according to figures compiled by the U.S. military, the Iraqi government and The Associated Press.

The decline signaled a U.S. success in bringing down violence in Baghdad and surrounding regions since Washington completed its infusion of 30,000 more troops on June 15.

AEON said:

Associated Press. October 1st, 2007.

BAGHDAD - Deaths among American forces and Iraqi civilians fell dramatically last month to their lowest levels in more than a year, according to figures compiled by the U.S. military, the Iraqi government and The Associated Press.

I think we should give GW the blame, erm credit here,:angry: only begrudingly though-for the record.

dbs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom