US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it seems odd to think of that word in universal terms. I've hardly ever heard that word used in reference to a guy. Most of the time I've seen it directed at women (or female dogs). It seems odd to me to call a guy a "bitch".

I've personally never used that word to seriously describe anybody, male or female, 'cause I don't really like to (and the woman in that article-classy, lady. I always love it when I hear women complain about how men should stop using those kinds of words, only for them to turn right around and use them on each other :rolleyes:.). I do like "beeyotch", though, just 'cause it sounds funny, but even then I only use that in a joking manner.

Angela

If it's such a "universal" insult, then how come McCain knew immediately who the woman was referring to, despite her never having named Hillary Clinton? Do you really think if she'd said "How do we beat the fucker" or "How do we beat the asshole" he would have jumped just as readily to the same (correct) conclusion, or just as readily responded with "excellent question"?

Last edited:
If I do remember correctly, "b*tch" usually has a female connotation attached to it somehere-but only by bigots of course.:D

dbs

diamond said:
Agreed.

Actually I like strong women, not abrasive ones, and therin lies the difference between say Hilary and Margret Thacther, or even Nancy Pelosi or Diane Feinstein for that matter.

Hilary bugs alot of ppl esp men more than women, and it's not that she's strong minded, that is a positive trait irrespective of gender.

dbs

Sorry, but you say that Clinton is abrasive and therfore not electable, and then bring Thatcher as an example of a woman that is strong, but not abrasive?

That's great. :lol:

Vincent Vega said:

Sorry, but you say that Clinton is abrasive and therfore not electable, and then bring Thatcher as an example of a woman that is strong, but not abrasive?

That's great. :lol:

Yes.
She exercised control and dignity on many levels.

Hilary does not.

dbs

I shared Vincent's bemusement; Thatcher definitely had a reputation for being publically imperious and condescending.

I can accept that alternate usage of "bitch" as a gender-neutral slang term is increasing. There are several epithets whose generally understood meaning varies with context, and this is one of them. However, in some contexts it can definitely be an outright slur and not merely a putdown. As can "shrew."

diamond said:
You're the one throwing the term "sexist" around like confetti.

No I use it when it's called for-and if that irritates you that's no reason to use the term "the likes of you". All your lil comments here reek of code, and some aren't even that subtle. Sometimes there's no need to even read between the lines.

yolland said:
I shared Vincent's bemusement; Thatcher definitely had a reputation for being publically imperious and condescending.

I can accept that alternate usage of "bitch" as a gender-neutral slang term is increasing. There are several epithets whose generally understood meaning varies with context, and this is one of them. However, in some contexts it can definitely be an outright slur and not merely a putdown. As can "shrew."

And Maragret was no shrew- she was referred to as The Iron Lady.

She was elected on her on merit; not by riding on the shirt tails of a spouse and suspected sex offender.

She kicked a*s.
Hilary will never be a Maragret Thacther.

margaretthatcher.jpg

dbs

I understood the "bitch" here as just the epithet that came to that woman's mind. I don't think it was sexist in this case, just stupid.

^And Bush clearly made use of his father being President before.

But who cares? That's really weak arguments against a politician, or any other person for that matter.

Last edited:
anitram said:

AN OPEN LETTER TO HILLARY CLINTON,

BY JUANITA BROADDRICK

'DO YOU REMEMBER?'
SUNDAY OCT 15, 2000

As I watched Rick Lazio's interview on Fox News this morning, I felt compelled to
write this open letter to you, Mrs. Clinton. Brit Hume asked Mr. Lazio's views
regarding you as a person and how he perceived you as a candidate. Rick Lazio did
not answer the question, but I know that I can. You know it, too.

I have no doubt that you are the same conniving, self-serving person you were
twenty-two years ago when I had the misfortune to meet you. When I see you on
television, campaigning for the New York senate race, I can see the same hypocrisy
in your face that you displayed to me one evening in 1978. You have not changed.

I remember it as though it was yesterday. I only wish that it were yesterday and
maybe there would still be time to do something about what your husband, Bill
Clinton, did to me. There was a political rally for Mr. Clinton's bid for governor of
Arkansas. I had obligated myself to be at this rally prior to my being assaulted by
your husband in April, 1978. I had made up my mind to make an appearance and then
leave as soon as the two of you arrived. This was a big mistake, but I was still in a
state of shock and denial. You had questioned the gentleman who drove you and Mr.
Clinton from the airport. You asked him about me and if I would be at the gathering.
Do you remember? You told the driver, "Bill has talked so much about Juanita", and
that you were so anxious to meet me. Well, you wasted no time. As soon as you
entered the room, you came directly to me and grabbed my hand. Do you remember
how you thanked me, saying "we want to thank you for everything that you do for
Bill". At that point, I was pretty shaken and started to walk off. Remember how you
kept a tight grip on my hand and drew closer to me? You repeated your statement,
but this time with a coldness and look that I have seen many times on television in the
last eight years. You said, "Everything you do for Bill". You then released your grip
and I said nothing and left the gathering.

What did you mean, Hillary? Were you referring to my keeping quiet about the assault
I had suffered at the hands of your husband only two weeks before? Were you
warning me to continue to keep quiet? We both know the answer to that question.
Yes, I can answer Brit Hume's question. You are the same Hillary that you were
twenty years ago. You are cold, calculating and self-serving. You cannot tolerate the
thought that you will soon be without the power you have wielded for the last eight
years. Your effort to stay in power will be at the expense of the state of New York. I
only hope the voters of New York will wake up in time and realize that Hillary Clinton
is not an honorable or an honest person.

I will end by asking if you believe the statements I made on NBC Dateline when Lisa
Myers asked if I had been assaulted and raped by your husband? Or perhaps, you
are like Vice-President Gore and did not see the interview.

Juanita Broaddrick
Arkansas
====================================================

The Advocate

Barney Frank Endorses Clinton, Will Serve as Economic Adviser

Massachusetts representative Barney Frank has endorsed fellow Democrat Hillary Clinton for president and will serve as an economic adviser during her candidacy, the Clinton campaign announced Tuesday.

“Based on my work with her on issues involving discrimination, I am convinced that Hillary Clinton is the candidate best equipped to pass laws that will treat all Americans with dignity, fairness, and equality, no matter who they are or who they love,” Frank said in a prepared statement from the Clinton campaign.

Frank possesses “one of the sharpest minds in Congress,” said Senator Clinton, who currently leads the Democrats in national polling.

“Barney has devoted his life to championing economic fairness and civil rights and expanding opportunity for all Americans,” she said. “I’m delighted he’ll take a leadership role in our campaign."

Frank, who is gay, has represented Massachusetts’s fourth congressional district since 1981. After the Democratic takeover of the House of Representatives in the 2006 midterm election, he became chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

Wed Nov 14

The Nation -- Both openly-gay members of Congress have now endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The New York senator secured the support of Tammy Baldwin, the Wisconsin congresswoman who is the only out lesbian in the House, months ago. And this week Clinton gained the enthusiastic endorsement of House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, the only out gay man currently serving in the chamber.

Frank specifically hailed Clinton's support for gay and lesbian rights in announcing his decision to back the woman who current leads in national polling on the Democratic race and who is the front-runner in most early caucus and primary states.

The Massachusetts Democrat said that he is "convinced that Hillary Clinton is the candidate best equipped to pass laws that will treat all Americans with dignity, fairness and equality no matter who they are or who they love."

That comment came as part of a particularly warm embrace of Clinton by Frank, who has traditionally been one of the party's most determined and effective campaigners among liberals in Massachusetts and other states.

"I have from the beginning of this campaign believed that Hillary Clinton was the candidate best qualified to serve as president," the congressman explained. "I am convinced that once elected, the qualities she will bring to the job -- commitment, intellect and political skills -- will make her an extremely effective leader in our effort to reverse the badly flawed course on which George Bush and past Republican Congresses have set this country."

Frank's sister, veteran Democratic party leader Ann Lewis, is a senior adviser to the Clinton campaign. He has been a longtime friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

When Baldwin endorsed Clinton last summer, she cited her longstanding friendship with the senator as well as a shared commitment to health care reform. In addition, the Wisconsinite described Clinton as "strong and vocal" in her support of ending employment discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Baldwin acknowledged at the time, however, that she and Clinton do not see eye to eye on the issue of same-sex marriage. The New York senator supports domestic partnership initiatives and civil unions, but has opposed moves that allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.

"It's not my position," Baldwin said of Clinton's stance. "I support full marriage equality. We will voice encouragement for (Clinton) to be open to changing her opinion."

Clinton's chief rivals for the Democratic nomination, Illinois Senator Barack Obama and former North Carolina Senator John Edwards, share the front-runners opposition to same-sex marriage.

In contrast, Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich, a longtime colleague of Frank and Baldwin in the House who is also seeking the Democratic presidential nod, has been an outspoken backer of marriage equality for many years. Says Kucinich, "This is really a question of whether you really believe in equality. When you understand what real equality is, you understand that people who love each other must have the opportunity to be able to express that in a way that's meaningful."

Moonlit_Angel said:

I agree.

And yeah, I dunno if Thatcher is really an appropriate comparison. I've yet to meet anyone who liked her at all.

Angela

A lot of people in Britain would feel that Thatcher saved the country from communism.

I have never heard guys being referred to as bitches - only girls and women. Maybe that's because I'm an old fogey and younger folks really are using the word to refer to both sexes these days. However, the woman who made the bitch remark was middle aged, so I think it's likely she was using it in a more gender-specific way. And the way everyone in the room laughed immediately, I think it's pretty clear they knew exactly who she was referring to.

yolland said:
If it's such a "universal" insult, then how come McCain knew immediately who the woman was referring to, despite her never having named Hillary Clinton?

i'm thinking it could be from the following choices
a) McCain is a sexist bitch
b) McCain knew it was diamond in a wig
c) Republicans are so afraid/obsessed with Clinton, she is all they ever discuss at these things
d) they're all sexist bitches

I'm torn between b & c, though a wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:
If you have only one female candidate and the term "bitch" is used it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who is meant. Even if it nowadays might be used as gender neutral, in that specific context it's clear that she wasn't referring to Edwards or Obama.

Well, maybe she meant the inter-Republican competition and was referring to Romney or Giuliani. :wink:

Having viewed the video it's apparent that the lady was referring to Hillary, everyone knew it including McCain and instead of him saying, "let's use more appropriate language when referring to my competitors" or something like that, he acknowledged who the reference towards bitch was by saying, "There was a poll yesterday....that shows me three points ahead of Senator Clinton in a head-to-head matchup. I respect Mrs. Clinton.”

Jeez, is he that afraid to lose votes that he couldn't stand up to one voter and say that her reference towards Hillary was a bit over the top? It all seemed really high school to me.

So, I gleamed two things from the debate

a) Wolf Blitzer should never host anything
b) This (first 10 secs) is amazing

Slipstream said:
Jeez, is he that afraid to lose votes that he couldn't stand up to one voter and say that her reference towards Hillary was a bit over the top? It all seemed really high school to me.
I don't think a candidate should have to apologize, nor correct, a stupid offhand comment from one random supporter. If this had happened as a question at an official campaign function, then it would be differnet, but this was a random roadside stop really out of the control of anyone on the McCain team.

It's a nonissue, and we should move on.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
So, I gleamed two things from the debate

a) Wolf Blitzer should never host anything

lol have you seen the situation room? it's like watching tron. i agree, i think he is better off submerged in his fantasy world of technology than actually trying to "moderate" something.

sidenote: u2dem and i decided last night that we are going to submit a request to hold a debate. all candidates will be sitting on top of dunk tanks. anytime they go over their response time, they are plunged into a large tank filled with water and screaming eels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom