US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

My question aimed at you was trying to get you to show me how within his few years in the Senate he's been able to already establish an inconsistent record. Examples please...

Guess not...:|

Poll: Clinton lags in quest for male voters

By Jill Lawrence, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — More than eight in 10 Republicans and more than half the married men in a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll say they definitely wouldn't vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.

The poll provides an early snapshot of who's ruling out Clinton, John Edwards and Barack Obama, the three leading candidates for the Democratic nomination.

Clinton, who tops national polls of Democrats, is strongest within her party. Only 10% of Democrats said they'd rule her out; nearly three times as many said they wouldn't vote for Edwards.

The new poll found that Clinton would defeat the leading Republican, Rudy Giuliani, in a hypothetical matchup. Still, some Democrats wonder whether she's potentially unelectable or a drag on candidates lower on the ballot, and rivals such as Edwards say they're better bets.

In a general election, the poll suggests that Clinton has the least potential for winning votes from Republicans — 84% say they definitely would not vote for her, compared with six in 10 for either Obama or Edwards. Independents show the least resistance to Obama and the most to Edwards.

The poll found that 36% of women wouldn't vote for Clinton, compared with 50% of men — and 55% of married men. Obama had comparable appeal to women and more to men. Clinton's appeal overall falls as income rises, the reverse of the findings for Obama.

Pollster Mark Penn, a top Clinton strategist, says Clinton's strength against GOP hopefuls is growing. "With candidates who are lesser known, typically we see the opposite pattern happen," he says, citing 2004 nominee John Kerry as an example. Penn also says her appeal to Republican women is rising, and nearly a quarter of them could defect to her in a general election.

Clinton's unfavorable rating in the poll was 45%, vs. 30% for Obama and 31% for Edwards. "A fairly substantial number of ordinary voters have doubts about her," says Jack Pitney, a political scientist at Claremont McKenna College near Los Angeles.

Even so, he and others say that doesn't mean Clinton is unelectable. Political scientist John White of Catholic University in Washington, D.C., says she benefits from "the demise of the Republican brand" and trends such as more minority and single voters.

Overall, 43% in the poll would not vote for Clinton. Top reasons: They don't like her, her husband or her views. Retired professor Charles Bilbrey of Harrisonburg, Va., 65, a GOP-leaning moderate, calls Clinton "abrasive."

Others cite Clinton's marriage. "My biggest reason is she put up with her husband" after his affair with intern Monica Lewinsky, says Republican Betty Muse, 77, a retired nutrition director in New London, N.C.

Political scientist Gerald Benjamin at the State University of New York at New Paltz says old scandals "certainly will surface" if Democrats nominate her. Mark Mellman, Kerry's pollster in 2004, says they won't matter much. "People know who she is. There's not a lot you can tell them that's going to change their fundamental perception."

I'm telling the average male runs from women like these, especially when they are attempting to "rule" the feee world.

diamond said:

Are you casting judgement?
Upon someone who would use gender as a measuring stick? Yes.

And that is exactly what you are doing.

You would never say:
I'm telling the average female runs from men like Fred, especially when they are attempting to "rule" the feee world.

BTW, never correct anyone's spelling again. Notice how I kept your mistakes in there?

diamond said:

Are you the spokesman for the average American male?

:|

I would never take the role, but I know one thing for sure, you wouldn't even be considered on my ballot.

November 07, 2007

POLL: Zogby Iowa Democratic Caucus

A new Zogby telephone survey of 502 likely caucus goers in Iowa (conducted 11/6) finds:

* Sen. Hillary Clinton narrowly leads Sen. Barack Obama (28% to 25%) in a statewide caucus; former Sen. John Edwards trails at 21%, Gov. Bill Richardson at 9%. All other candidates trail at less than five percent each.

* When votes for candidates with less than 15% are reallocated*, Clinton receives 30%, Obama 29%, and Edwards 27%.

* *Note: "In the [Democratic] caucuses, a first round of "balloting" is conducted, and those candidates who do not win at least 15% support are ruled "unviable" and supporters are directed to a second choice among those who remained "viable" before a second round of "balloting" is conducted."

MrsSpringsteen said:
November 07, 2007

POLL: Zogby Iowa Democratic Caucus

A new Zogby telephone survey of 502 likely caucus goers in Iowa (conducted 11/6) finds:

* Sen. Hillary Clinton narrowly leads Sen. Barack Obama (28% to 25%) in a statewide caucus; former Sen. John Edwards trails at 21%, Gov. Bill Richardson at 9%. All other candidates trail at less than five percent each.

* When votes for candidates with less than 15% are reallocated*, Clinton receives 30%, Obama 29%, and Edwards 27%.

* *Note: "In the [Democratic] caucuses, a first round of "balloting" is conducted, and those candidates who do not win at least 15% support are ruled "unviable" and supporters are directed to a second choice among those who remained "viable" before a second round of "balloting" is conducted."

She lost her lead since the debate stumble.

dbs

MrsSpringsteen said:

Are you? :)

Hillary is "abrasive". Are men with similar qualities also "abrasive"?

Yes, however:

Being abrasive is more acceptable for a male than a female for whatever societale reasons there are, who knows-is it human nature?

Do these polls indicate she is an irrepressible shrew that I coined her as earlier?

Who needs polls when you have diamondbruno wisdom on your side?

:wink:

dbs

diamond said:

Yes, however:

Being abrasive is more acceptable for a male than a female for whatever societale reasons there are, who knows-is it human nature?

Do these polls indicate she is an irrepressible shrew that I coined her as earlier?

Who needs polls when you have diamondbruno wisdom on your side?

dbs

I really hope you're kidding.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Upon someone who would use gender as a measuring stick? Yes.

And that is exactly what you are doing.

You would never say:

BTW, never correct anyone's spelling again. Notice how I kept your mistakes in there?

I would never take the role, but I know one thing for sure, you wouldn't even be considered on my ballot.

Gender has nothing to do with it-although men get more of a pass for being abrasive for cultural reasons it could be construed.

I have noticed though based on your posts that you seem like one miserale fellow, BVS-especially with the over usage of this smiley:

Cheer up young feller.
:)

good day-

dbs

diamond said:

That's bs-she is running for President of the US not headmistress of a charm school. That's a double standard. Just like your "shrew" comment was. Unless you call the abrasive men shrews as well.

And personally I have collected several years of diamondbruno wisdom which I read and study every night before I tuck it under my pillow in hopes that it will seep into my brain.

MrsSpringsteen said:

That's bs-she is running for President of the US not headmistress of a charm school. That's a double standard. Just like your "shrew" comment was. Unless you call the abrasive men shrews as well.

And personally I have collected several years of diamondbruno wisdom which I read and study every night before I tuck it under my pillow in hopes that it will seep into my brain.

Charm is an electable trait that *any* candidate needs.

"Shrew" is a female term equivalent to "blowhard" on the male side-so settle down.

Sleep well my love.

dbs

diamond said:

Charm is an electable trait that *any* candidate needs.

Then why don't you ever comment on the lack of charm and/or the shrewlike qualities of any of the male candidates? I can't recall that you have, I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong. Charm is not however a job requirement for the Presidency- you can ask your friend W about that.

I will "settle down" as soon as you apply your standard equally to males and females.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Then why don't you ever comment on the lack of charm and/or the shrewlike qualities of any of the male candidates? I can't recall that you have, I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong. Charm is not however a job requirement for the Presidency- you can ask your friend W about that.

I will "settle down" as soon as you apply your standard equally to males and females.

I posted several times that Al gore had no charm-that's why he lost to GW.

Fred Thompson has no mojo, I posted this already which means "no charm".

Bill Clinton had plenty of charm/mojo over GHB-that's one of the reasons he won.

Mondale had no charm that's a portion of the reason why he lost in a landslide to Reagan.

C'mon Gina wake up and smell the coffee and as soon as you stop trying to make men women, and women men, you're life will become easier.

Men and women are different- we should celebrate those differences and stop trying to forcefully fuse them together.

:)

dbs

diamond said:
Men and women are different- we should celebrate those differences and stop trying to forcefully fuse them together.

So, either you are saying that leaders don't have to be strong or you are saying that women shouldn't be president.

Which one is it?

And don't say I'm twisting your words, because this is all based on your criticisms of Hilary.

How do you find her abrasive? I mean, specifically, where do you see abrasiveness in her?

diamond said:

Gender has nothing to do with it-although men get more of a pass for being abrasive for cultural reasons it could be construed.

If it has nothing to do with it then don't mention it and continue with the ISSUES. Try rising above cultural construes and search for the truth.

diamond said:

I have noticed though based on your posts that you seem like one miserale fellow, BVS-especially with the over usage of this smiley:

You can judge my mood in real life based on :smilies: ? Well then I guess I can judge your overall intellect and insecurity issues based on your posts?

*Reads recent posts*

Wha...? *Blinks repeatedly*

Any guy who has an issue with Hilary simply because she's *Gasp* strong and forceful needs to get over it, quite frankly. If you don't agree with her on the issues, that's entirely different and makes much more sense (and I'd be inclined to agree with you there). But to not like her simply because she doesn't take crap from people and doesn't back away from expressing her thoughts and is actually as tough as the guys can be (how dare a woman not act like a stereotypical female!), well...

Once again, some people have their priorities in a really odd order.

Angela

diamond said:

dbs

Aren't you contradicting yourself? It seems to me if men get more of a pass for being abrasive, than the way people perceive Hillary Clinton has a lot to do with her being a woman.

Bono's shades said:

Aren't you contradicting yourself? It seems to me if men get more of a pass for being abrasive, than the way people perceive Hillary Clinton has a lot to do with her being a woman.

No need for logic in this thread.

diamond said:

wake up and smell the coffee and as soon as you stop trying to make men women, and women men, you're life will become easier.

Wow thanks for the helpful advice Ann Landers :) Why don't you wake up into this century? Your idol Bono knows all about female equality-he gets it. Live it, learn it :). It has nothing to do with trying to make men women and women men.

All your comments about the male candidates seem to have to do with their hair and/or their perceived good looks and/or sexual prowess :shrug:

What is it exactly about Hillary that seems so threatening to you? Because she's not like Laura Bush? Women are individuals, not step in line robots. Just like men are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom