US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:

well no you're right, not the outspoken wackos on tv. lol they don't count. i meant from the general public.

It would be interesing to see. There probably are many pro-life Democrats that are afraid to say so because of their politics. It's likely the same with some Republicans being strongly pro-choice, but not saying so because of politics.

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/11/flashback_robertson_agreed_that_america_deserved_911.php

Flashback: Robertson Agreed That America "Deserved" 9/11
By Greg Sargent - November 7, 2007, 11:00AM

In light of Pat Robertson's endorsement today of former NYC Mayor and Churchillian 9/11 hero Rudy Giuliani, it seems worth recalling that even as the smoke was still rising from the site a few days later, Robertson had this to say about the disaster in a TV appearance with Jerry Falwell:

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve," said Falwell, appearing yesterday on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club," hosted by Robertson.

"Jerry, that's my feeling," Robertson responded. "I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

Falwell said the American Civil Liberties Union has "got to take a lot of blame for this," again winning Robertson's agreement: "Well, yes."

Subsequent to that, Falwell placed some of the blame for 9/11 squarely on a range of Americans -- civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals, abortion rights supporters -- who have tried to "secularize" America. Robertson didn't disagree. Today Rudy gladly accepted his endorsement.

How does one even respond to this kind of hate and ignorance? It just is incredibly upsetting that some people might see this and think that it's a represntation Jesus and those who are trying to follow Him.

harkin_steak_fry_08.jpg

November 07, 2007 3:18 PM

ABC News' David Wright and Sunlen Miller Report: At a town hall meeting Wednesday an Iowa voter asked Senator Barack Obama, D-Ill., about the numerous emails she has received with photos purporting to show Obama "refusing" to pledge allegiance to the flag.

"You're standing with your arms folded and Hillary's got her hand on her heart," she said, adding that she received so many of these emails she is sick of them.

Obama shook his head and smiled.

"This was not during the pledge of allegiance," Obama said of the picture taken at Senator Tom Harkin's, D-Iowa, annual steak fry and first published by Time. "A woman was singing the Star Spangled Banner when that picture was taken.

"I was taught by my grandfather that you put your hand over your heart during the pledge, but during the Star Spangled Banner, you sing!" Obama said.

Obama called the circulation of such pictures a "dirty trick" and mentioned other emails accusing him of being "a Muslim plant."

"I have been pledging allegiance since I was a kid," Obama said.

Obama advised his supporters who receive such emails to ignore them.

"Just tell whoever sent it," Obama told the crowd, "they're misinformed."

MrsSpringsteen said:

"I was taught by my grandfather that you put your hand over your heart during the pledge, but during the Star Spangled Banner, you sing!" Obama said.

[/B][/QUOTE]

whiiiiiich he doesn't seem to be doing either...

U2DMfan said:
I think it is absolutely telling in every way that Pat Robertson would endorse a pro-choice candidate just because he thinks it's the best chance for Republicans to win.

Well I wouldn't exactly put Rudy in the pro-choice category, he's catered everything else to the right, who knows he may have promised Robertson he'd change this as well. He changed his stance on gay marriage... we'll see.

2861U2 said:

Are any of them singing?

I put my hand over my heart during the anthem, it's just something I like to do. If others don't wish to do that that's their choice. He is still acknowledging it-you'd think he was sitting or had his back turned.

But for anyone to try to use that against him or even make that an issue is just pathetic. That man is unquestionably patriotic in every sense of what that word really means. If putting a hand over a heart is a test of patriotism I think our concerns are screwy and misplaced. There could be plenty of people placing a hand over a heart who have done some very unpatriotic things otherwise. And there are.

2861U2 said:

:rolleyes:

Personally, my issues deal with things like a candidate's views on the War in Iraq, on gay marriage, on the death penalty, on the economy, etc.

But, really, please, keep going on about the exact moment this photo was taken.

phillyfan26 said:

:rolleyes:

Personally, my issues deal with things like a candidate's views on the War in Iraq, on gay marriage, on the death penalty, on the economy, etc.

As do mine.

phillyfan26 said:
But, really, please, keep going on about the exact moment this photo was taken.

I'm not "going on" about the photo. I just think it's funny when he says he sings during the national anthem, and he stands there not only with his arms down but with his mouth closed. Same goes for any politician who clearly double-speaks.

But fine, enough with the photo. Obama has countless other flaws we can discuss.

2861U2 said:

I'm not "going on" about the photo. I just think it's funny when he says he sings during the national anthem, and he stands there not only with his arms down but with his mouth closed. Same goes for any politician who clearly double-speaks.

His hands are folded. How is this a bad thing? He's not waving the middle finger or sitting down or whatever else that represents disrespect.

Good luck finding a politician that doesn't double speak.

2861U2 said:
As do mine.

But fine, enough with the photo. Obama has countless other flaws we can discuss.

Good.

You are going on about it. He clarified it, and somehow you are still critiquing it. The fact that it's not during the pledge is the main point. Maybe it's during one of those long dragged out notes by the singer. Maybe it's between words. Who knows? The point is that your point has no merit whatsoever.

And the republicans take the cake in flaws, so I'm not worried about Obama.

2861U2 said:

You don't even know if they've started the song yet. Get off it. So why don't you actually find double-speak instead of speculating...

2861U2 said:

Please try and discuss those in the future, so far all I've seen you discuss about Obama is that he's black and good looking and this photo.

MrsSpringsteen said:
What are his countless other flaws?

He has an inconsistent voting record, his lack of experience and qualification to be President, his inability to put his foot down and say something meaningful regarding his beliefs, and of course his views being almost completely contrary to mine. Maybe he'll be a good President someday, but not right now.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I put my hand over my heart during the anthem, it's just something I like to do. If others don't wish to do that that's their choice. He is still acknowledging it-you'd think he was sitting or had his back turned.

But for anyone to try to use that against him or even make that an issue is just pathetic. That man is unquestionably patriotic in every sense of what that word really means. If putting a hand over a heart is a test of patriotism I think our concerns are screwy and misplaced. There could be plenty of people placing a hand over a heart who have done some very unpatriotic things otherwise. And there are.

:up:. Perfectly stated, MrsSpringsteen. If people use something this insignificant as a reason to not support a presidential candidate, I really wonder about their priorities.

As for the comment about how America "deserved" 9/11 because of the sort of reasoning mentioned in that article, all I have to say is this: :rolleyes: Get a freakin' clue, people.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How can he have such little experience and an inconsistent voting record? Please do tell.

A) his voting record is inconsistent.
B) A few years in the Senate is not enough experience to be President.

I don't see how the two things are related.

2861U2 said:

I think BVS was talking about the fact that he's not been in Senate long enough to have enough votes to be inconsistent.

I've heard nothing about him flip-flopping until you've said so, though. :shrug:

2861U2 said:

Sometimes I wonder if you even read the posts that you respond to...

My question aimed at you was trying to get you to show me how within his few years in the Senate he's been able to already establish an inconsistent record. Examples please...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well I wouldn't exactly put Rudy in the pro-choice category, he's catered everything else to the right, who knows he may have promised Robertson he'd change this as well. He changed his stance on gay marriage... we'll see.

I know what you're saying but I've watched him in a few of the debates where this came up.

He is pro-choice. He's certainly not trying to claim otherwise.

Yet. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom