US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans for Obama?

Obama's Red State Appeal

Dave Filipi, a 48-year-old family doctor, made his way to the back room of McKenna's Blues Bar near the University of Nebraska's Omaha campus. Nervously smoothing his suit, he lingered in the doorway. "To be honest, I'm a Republican," Filipi sheepishly said as two dozen curious faces swung around toward him.

"Trust me, you're not the only one here," Solomon Kleinsmith, the head of the group Nebraskans for Obama and himself a lifelong Republican, replied with a chuckle. "Come, sit down."

Political organizing for Democrats in red states like Nebraska can often feel a bit like leading AA meetings. But that hasn't deterred more than 300 Nebraskans from forming a dozen groups for Senator Barack Obama's presidential campaign, and they aren't the only ones. On Monday, the Obama campaign announced that over 300 Iowa and New Hampshire Republicans had decided to cross party lines to support Obama. At Obama events in Oklahoma, Kentucky, Virginia and Georgia, a good 20% of audiences routinely raise their hands when emcees ask for Republicans in the crowd. A "Republicans for Obama" website has 11 state chapters with 146 members. An August University of Iowa even found Obama running third in the state among Republican candidates, behind Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani but ahead of both Fred Thompson and John McCain. And a national Gallup poll this month also found that nearly as many Republicans like Obama — 39% — than the 43% that dislike him, compared with the 78% of Republicans who held an unfavorable opinion of Hillary Clinton.

It seems a lot of Republicans took to heart Obama's statement in his rousing speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention that "there is not a liberal America and a conservative America — there is the United States of America." And with polls showing Obama still trailing Clinton and supporters urging him to become more aggressive in attacking the front-runner, his non-partisan appeal could be a useful rallying cry as Iowa and New Hampshire fast approach. Already, the campaign uses his electability as a defense when things don't go their way. Last Wednesday, when the former First Lady won the endorsement of the powerful Association of Federal, State and Municipal Employees Union — which has more than 30,000 members in Iowa — Obama campaign manager David Plouffe responded with this: "It is a bit surprising that the union probably most concerned with state and local election results would support the candidate with the likeliest least appeal in red states. When Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee, he will not only win the presidency but his appeal to Republicans and Independents will lift down-ballot candidates all across the country."

Even some former Bush supporters and advisers are Obama converts. Three former major fund-raisers for the President have given money to Obama. One of them, James Canning, a Chicago financier, is openly supporting Obama after he grew tired of what he calls the G.O.P.'s "Neanderthal positions on things like stem cell research and global warming." Mark McKinnon, Bush's chief media consultant during both of his presidential campaigns, has warned his clients — including Senator John McCain — that if Obama wins the Democratic nomination McKinnon won't work against him in the general election. And Matthew Dowd, Bush's former top political strategist, told the New York Times that the only candidate that appeals to him this cycle in either party is Obama.

"I don't think Oklahoma has seen this kind of enthusiasm for a Democrat since Bobby Kennedy," marveled Lisa Pryor, chairwoman of the Oklahoma Democratic Party, who is not endorsing a candidate, after an Obama rally in Oklahoma City in March that drew more than 1,000 people — each of whom paid $25 to get in, and handed over their contact information. "He could be the first Democrat to win Oklahoma since LBJ."

The demand for Obama in conservative states is a testament to his rock star status, a term he loathes for its implication that he's all style and no substance. But it may be the very fact that many voters don't yet know that much about the specifics of his politics that is sustaining his level of cross-party support. "I'm not seeing any pretty clear matches for me in the Republican crop," said Filipi, a lifelong Republican who founded Nebraskans for Obama on the Internet. "The last few years I've really had to settle on who I've voted for. I haven't been inspired. I'm not sure Obama's that person either but he's the closest I've come to getting inspired in years."

In fact, Obama's voting record is the most liberal of any candidate, according to a National Journal analysis. Obama's score of 84.3% in the Journal's ratings formula tops even that of Representative Dennis Kucinich, who was considered the most liberal Democratic presidential candidate in 2004.

Republicans and Independents are a vital demographic for Obama, who needs to draw in new voters in order to compete with Clinton and Edwards in Iowa, the all-important first test of presidential politics. The three are essentially tied in polls in Iowa, where anyone, regardless of party identification, can show up and caucus provided they sign a (non-binding) letter saying they intend to change their registration. And while 76% of Edwards supporters caucused in 2004, only 55% of Obama's supporters took the time four years ago, according to another University of Iowa poll out this week. "For Obama, getting people who are less likely to caucus out the door in January will be critical," said David Redlawsk, the poll's director and an associate professor of political science.

And just in case Iowa Republicans and Independents aren't yet sold on Obama, Kleinsmith and his group of Nebraskans for Obama are working across the border in Iowa to convince them. "My big fear is: if he doesn't win Iowa that's it for him," Kleinsmith told his group. As well, he would surely argue, as it would be for the Democrats' already slim chances in a state like Nebraska.

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1680192,00.html

coemgen
Online 11-06-2007 01:01 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

BonoVoxSupastar
Online 11-06-2007 01:02 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

coemgen
Online 11-06-2007 01:17 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

BonoVoxSupastar
Online 11-06-2007 01:20 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

:wink:

diamond
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
Premium Member

Local time:
11-06-2007 01:23 PM

View Journal
11-06-2007 04:20 PM - coemgen
Online 11-06-2007 01:01 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

BonoVoxSupastar
Online 11-06-2007 01:02 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

coemgen
Online 11-06-2007 01:17 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

BonoVoxSupastar
Online 11-06-2007 01:20 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

Hmm...I disagree with your opinions and your beliefs and still read your posts because that's how discussion works. Silly me.

2861U2 said:
One year from today, Rudy Giuliani will be the President-elect of the United States.

Just thought I'd share.

Rovian Strategy 101:

It doesn't matter if it's true or not as long as you say it enough times.

:wink:

2861U2 said:
One year from today, Rudy Giuliani will be the President-elect of the United States.

Just thought I'd share.

If gambling were legal, I'd bet you that he will not, and I would win a year from today.

hope you don't mind me dropping in and posting this :reject:

from CNN

November 6, 2007
Third time's not the charm for Kucinich

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The House voted Tuesday to stop Rep. Dennis Kucinich's, D-Ohio, effort to bring up a debate on impeaching Vice President Dick Cheney.

Kucinich, who is vying for the Democratic presidential nomination, has tried to bring up the issue on three separate occasions. The House voted 218-194 to send it to committee, effectively killing it.

On the House floor, Kucinich said Cheney "acted in a manner contrary to his trust as vice president." Kucinich also said Cheney harmed national security by openly threatening Iran.

"Vice President Richard B. Cheney by such conduct is guilty of an impeachable offense warranting removal from office," Kucinich said.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino criticized Democrats in Congress for spending time on this debate rather than focusing on health care for children and veterans.

"This Congress has not sent a single appropriations bill to the president’s desk this year – a new record of failure," Perino said.

"Yet, they find time to spend an entire work period on futile votes to impeach the vice president or to pass contempt citations against the president’s chief of staff and former counsel. It is this behavior that leaves the American people shaking their head in wonder at this Congress,” Perino added.

Ms. Perino, it's not "this type of behavior" that is leaving the American people shaking their head. It's the current administration doing that all on their own :|

Lila64 said:
Ms. Perino, it's not "this type of behavior" that is leaving the American people shaking their head. It's the current administration doing that all on their own :|

Well said. Perino's a real ditz. The few quotes I've heard from her in the past have led me to doing this a few times: :crack:.

Shame Kucinich got shot down on the idea of debating whether or not impeachment should be discussed, but at the same time, I'm not all that surprised. God forbid anyone be held accountable for any of the stuff that's happened these last 7 years.

(Feel free to post whatever you think might be of interest, by the way, Lila :). Nothing wrong with getting as much information as possible)

I liked that article about how Obama's gaining some Republican support, by the way. That's pretty cool to see that he's managing to unite people from both sides, and that people who may not agree with him on all the issues are still willing to sit down and talk with him and listen to what he has to say. Makes me feel better hearing about that sort of thing happening.

Angela

Fox News said this morning that Pat Robertson is endorsing Rudy. I can't find anything online.

NBC News
updated 15 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - NBC News reports that religious conservative leader Pat Robertson will endorse Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani at a news conference this morning in Washington, D.C.

The nod from Robertson, the founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network, could eliminate some of the concern among so-called "value voters", worried about Giuliani's stance on abortion and gay rights.

In addition to the Robertson-Giuliani endorsement, former presidential candidate Sam Brownback, R-Kan., is expected to throw his support behind the presidential campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., at an Iowa campaign event later today.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

The nod from Robertson, the founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network, could eliminate some of the concern among so-called "value voters", worried about Giuliani's stance on abortion and gay rights.

This is just sad in so many ways. It's sad that Rudy had to cower into hate just to get some votes, and it's sad that the CR is so desperate they'll take anyone, as long as they just say those magic words.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is just sad in so many ways. It's sad that Rudy had to cower into hate just to get some votes, and it's sad that the CR is so desperate they'll take anyone, as long as they just say those magic words.

QFT. You beat me to it again.:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is just sad in so many ways. It's sad that Rudy had to cower into hate just to get some votes,

:eyebrow:

Last time I time checked, Rudy's position on abortion and gay rights were in the minority, in terms of conservative philosophy. How is he using that to get votes? Rudy didn't force Robertson to endorse him. Robertson could have picked McCain or Brownback or whoever else whose beliefs better fit his.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Last time I time checked, Rudy's position on abortion and gay rights were in the minority, in terms of conservative philosophy. How is he using that to get votes? Rudy didn't force Robertson to endorse him. Robertson could have picked McCain or Brownback or whoever else whose beliefs better fit his.

but Robertson wants to win. and McCain and Brownback won't win. Rudy probably has the best shot.

and you'll notice how Rudy has strayed from his positions on gun control, abortion, and gay marriage. in fact, after his (2nd? 1st?) divorce, he moved right into the home of a friend Howard Koeppel and his partner of 10 years, Mark Hsiao, and has told the two of them that the second marriage equality becomes reality, he'll officiate their wedding.

he doesn't talk about such things any more, and he's trying to backpedal on this by watering down his support of at least civil unions to very, very basic rights to create same-sex contracts.

so, yes, Rudy is betraying his friends in order to get endorsements from nasty people.

2861U2 said:

Then you haven't checked recently...

:huh: What do you not understand? Rudy has changed his stance on abortion and gay rights to gain a CR following because these days you really can't run as a Republican without it. He realized that and sold his soul.

I didn't say he forced Robertson to do anything. You're not understanding this are you?

Last edited:
I think it is absolutely telling in every way that Pat Robertson would endorse a pro-choice candidate just because he thinks it's the best chance for Republicans to win.

He never let principles get in the way before.
No serious person would take him seriously, regradless of faith.

I am just gonna write-in former Mayor Anthony Williams of DC on my ballot because he was Mayor of DC on 9/11 and that automatically makes him an expert on terrorism.

U2DMfan said:
I think it is absolutely telling in every way that Pat Robertson would endorse a pro-choice candidate just because he thinks it's the best chance for Republicans to win.

very, very good point.

say what you will about Dobson (and I have) at least he's sticking by his pro-life standards.

i'm wondering if a Rudy vs. Hillary ticket might not actually depress voter turnout.

unico said:

you know, i've always wondered how much support pro-life democrat would get.

If there were every a prominent pro-life Democrat, maybe we would see. None of the current candidates are.

http://tpmelectioncentral.com/2007/11/flashback_robertson_agreed_that_america_deserved_911.php

Flashback: Robertson Agreed That America "Deserved" 9/11
By Greg Sargent - November 7, 2007, 11:00AM

In light of Pat Robertson's endorsement today of former NYC Mayor and Churchillian 9/11 hero Rudy Giuliani, it seems worth recalling that even as the smoke was still rising from the site a few days later, Robertson had this to say about the disaster in a TV appearance with Jerry Falwell:

"God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve," said Falwell, appearing yesterday on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club," hosted by Robertson.

"Jerry, that's my feeling," Robertson responded. "I think we've just seen the antechamber to terror. We haven't even begun to see what they can do to the major population."

Falwell said the American Civil Liberties Union has "got to take a lot of blame for this," again winning Robertson's agreement: "Well, yes."

Subsequent to that, Falwell placed some of the blame for 9/11 squarely on a range of Americans -- civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals, abortion rights supporters -- who have tried to "secularize" America. Robertson didn't disagree. Today Rudy gladly accepted his endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom