US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Republican Candidate Claims To Have Diamond encounter, tells Bono to back off

Romney "had a close sighting over my home in Chelsea, MA, when I lived there," the actress, a close Romney friend, wrote. "Mitt found his encounter extremely moving. The smell of roses drew him out to my balcony where, when he looked up, he saw a gigantic man named Diamond Dave standing there, the best looking man he had ever seen (other than his own reflection of course).

"They stared at each other for 10 minutes or so, transfixed, hearts aflutter until Mitt excused himself to go fix his hair. He said he felt a connection in his heart and heard directions in his mind". He was a man transformed

This is the first time I took a real interest in the Presidential election thread.:yes:

Rudy Giuliani becomes Red Sox fan on eve of World Series

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
NY DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

Wednesday, October 24th

Rudy Giuliani will have some explaining to do in New York after telling a New Hampshire crowd he'll root for Yankees' archrival, the Red Sox, in the World Series.
CONCORD, N.H. - Pigs flew, lions slept with lambs - and No. 1 Yankee fan Rudy Giuliani miraculously transformed himself into a Red Sox fan on the eve of the World Series.

"I'm rooting for the Red Sox," the Republican presidential contender Tuesday told a Boston audience, just a few T stops from Fenway Park.

"I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets. Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn't because I'm loyal to New York."

Later in New Hampshire - a loyal dominion within New England's Red Sox Nation and, more importantly to Giuliani, home of the first primary in 2008 - the former mayor expanded on his heresy.

"Somehow it makes me feel better if the team that was ahead of the Yankees wins the World Series," he told a group of mostly local reporters in explaining his sudden backing of the Red Sox, "because then I feel like, well, we're not that bad."

Later, at a town hall meeting in Lebanon, N.H., Giuliani yukked it up with a couple of audience members who were wearing Sox caps.

"If I keep looking at that hat, I may start crying," he said to chuckles, before adding, "Good luck to the Red Sox!"

Pundits immediately declared the comments a shameless play for votes from a man whose name is almost synonymous with Bronx Bomber - a big-game regular in the box seats next to the Yankee dugout.

While his words may have drawn appreciative nods from cocky Red Sox fans up north, the hometown crowd in New York was quick to call him out.

"The next time he goes to Yankee Stadium, we will boo," vowed Charlie Egan, 36, a carpenter from Rockville Centre, L.I. "Yankee fans forget nothing."

"He said that?" exclaimed a shocked Bob Herbert, 49, a Brooklyn maintenance worker. "He should be ashamed of himself."

"He is doing what Hillary did," Herbert added, referring to Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, whom Giuliani mocked just last week for dividing her loyalty between the Yankees and the .National League Cubs of her native Chicago. "He is just doing it for votes."

The former mayor's comments come at a particularly trying time for Yankees fans, who saw their team blown out in the first round of playoffs and the end of manager Joe Torre's storied 12-year reign. The Red Sox meet the Colorado Rockies in Game 1 of the World Series tonight.

The GOP front-runner insisted his sudden conversion to Red Sox fandom was "not just because I'm here in Massachusetts."

"In Colorado, in the next week or two, you will see, I will have the courage to tell the people of Colorado the same thing, that I am rooting for the Red Sox in the World Series," he said.

But the former mayor will still have the electoral math on his side. Colorado has a total of nine Electoral College votes, compared with about 30 in Red Sox Nation - Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and about half of Connecticut.

Aides to the former mayor later pointed out that Giuliani has expressed his support for the American League in general in the past, even if it meant rooting for the Red Sox.

And in a way, he's going back to his Little League roots: He was a slugger on the 1954 Garden City South Red Sox.

Political experts said Giuliani risked being tagged as a pandering pol by talking up his new Red Sox leanings on the same day that he filed formal papers in the Granite State declaring himself a presidential candidate.

"He's always teased Hillary Clinton about whether she's a Cubs fan or a Yankees fan," said Andrew Smith of the University of New Hampshire's Survey Center. "So where does this leave him now?"

MrsSpringsteen said:
Rudy Giuliani becomes Red Sox fan on eve of World Series

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
NY DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

Wednesday, October 24th

Rudy Giuliani will have some explaining to do in New York after telling a New Hampshire crowd he'll root for Yankees' archrival, the Red Sox, in the World Series.
CONCORD, N.H. - Pigs flew, lions slept with lambs - and No. 1 Yankee fan Rudy Giuliani miraculously transformed himself into a Red Sox fan on the eve of the World Series.

"I'm rooting for the Red Sox," the Republican presidential contender Tuesday told a Boston audience, just a few T stops from Fenway Park.

"I'm an American League fan, and I go with the American League team, maybe with the exception of the Mets. Maybe that would be the one time I wouldn't because I'm loyal to New York."

Later in New Hampshire - a loyal dominion within New England's Red Sox Nation and, more importantly to Giuliani, home of the first primary in 2008 - the former mayor expanded on his heresy.

"Somehow it makes me feel better if the team that was ahead of the Yankees wins the World Series," he told a group of mostly local reporters in explaining his sudden backing of the Red Sox, "because then I feel like, well, we're not that bad."

Later, at a town hall meeting in Lebanon, N.H., Giuliani yukked it up with a couple of audience members who were wearing Sox caps.

"If I keep looking at that hat, I may start crying," he said to chuckles, before adding, "Good luck to the Red Sox!"

Pundits immediately declared the comments a shameless play for votes from a man whose name is almost synonymous with Bronx Bomber - a big-game regular in the box seats next to the Yankee dugout.

While his words may have drawn appreciative nods from cocky Red Sox fans up north, the hometown crowd in New York was quick to call him out.

"The next time he goes to Yankee Stadium, we will boo," vowed Charlie Egan, 36, a carpenter from Rockville Centre, L.I. "Yankee fans forget nothing."

"He said that?" exclaimed a shocked Bob Herbert, 49, a Brooklyn maintenance worker. "He should be ashamed of himself."

"He is doing what Hillary did," Herbert added, referring to Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, whom Giuliani mocked just last week for dividing her loyalty between the Yankees and the .National League Cubs of her native Chicago. "He is just doing it for votes."

The former mayor's comments come at a particularly trying time for Yankees fans, who saw their team blown out in the first round of playoffs and the end of manager Joe Torre's storied 12-year reign. The Red Sox meet the Colorado Rockies in Game 1 of the World Series tonight.

The GOP front-runner insisted his sudden conversion to Red Sox fandom was "not just because I'm here in Massachusetts."

"In Colorado, in the next week or two, you will see, I will have the courage to tell the people of Colorado the same thing, that I am rooting for the Red Sox in the World Series," he said.

But the former mayor will still have the electoral math on his side. Colorado has a total of nine Electoral College votes, compared with about 30 in Red Sox Nation - Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and about half of Connecticut.

Aides to the former mayor later pointed out that Giuliani has expressed his support for the American League in general in the past, even if it meant rooting for the Red Sox.

And in a way, he's going back to his Little League roots: He was a slugger on the 1954 Garden City South Red Sox.

Political experts said Giuliani risked being tagged as a pandering pol by talking up his new Red Sox leanings on the same day that he filed formal papers in the Granite State declaring himself a presidential candidate.

"He's always teased Hillary Clinton about whether she's a Cubs fan or a Yankees fan," said Andrew Smith of the University of New Hampshire's Survey Center. "So where does this leave him now?"

Mr. Foot meet Mr. Mouth.

oh rudy :tsk:

front102407.jpg

i'm not sure which is sadder... that he felt he had to abandon his team for their bitter rival just to pander for votes, or that it actually may be an issue for him as far as the election goes.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

front102407.jpg

i'm not sure which is sadder... that he felt he had to abandon his team for their bitter rival just to pander for votes, or that it actually may be an issue for him as far as the election goes.

Yeah. Why should baseball be an issue in a presidential campaign? I think it's pretty stupid.

The thought of any of the Republican nominees in office makes me feel queasy, except for Romney.

John McCain...he used to be one of 'good' republicans in my book...but over the past two or so years he's just pandered to the christian right so much...it's really turned me off. Aside from that, and from the fact that he is just too Bushist as far as the war goes(he supports the war emphatically), I think he's just too old for such a stressful job. I think his chance as in 2000, and he lost.

I admired Rudy in 2001, after the attacks. At the time I didn't know much about him prior to that, but I thought he did a great job trying to handle an unhandleable(word?) situtation. I have since seen who he really is. I think he is a piece of garbage as far as politicians go. I think that 2001 was such a monumental shock that he just didn't have time to be a politician that day, that week, or that month. He didn't have any choice but to be human and decent and respectable in that time. But now the real Rudy is back out. His own kids don't even want anything to do with him.

Huckabee is too outwardly, loudly religious for my tastes.

Thompson....I don't know that much about the guy, but he just seems like another 'down-home' average joe type guy. After Bush, we just do not need another one of those.

Romney? I don't want any republican in office, but if I have to pick one, I think I'd take Romney, just because he strikes me as being the most intelligent and most thoughtful and most open-minded of these five. I disagree with him on a plethora of issues that I disagree with all republicans over(abortion, gay marriage, gun control, federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, the war, etc), but like I said, he seems the most intelligent and thoughtful and the least impulsive and least gun-ho of these five. Also, as far as religion goes, he keeps his to himself, relatively speaking anyway, so that's a plus.

Needless to say, I want a democrat to win over all of the above.

namkcuR said:

Romney? I don't want any republican in office, but if I have to pick one, I think I'd take Romney, just because he strikes me as being the most intelligent and most thoughtful and most open-minded of these five. I disagree with him on a plethora of issues that I disagree with all republicans over(abortion, gay marriage, gun control, federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, the war, etc), but like I said, he seems the most intelligent and thoughtful and the least impulsive and least gun-ho of these five. Also, as far as religion goes, he keeps his to himself, relatively speaking anyway, so that's a plus.

Have you read the thread on him? :eyebrow:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

front102407.jpg

I have to say, I do the same thing. I'm a big White Sox fan and if they don't make it, I always pull for the American League team. (except maybe this year. The Rockies are just too fun.) But I'll vote for the Tigers, Indians and Twins just because they're in the Sox' division. I hate them during the regular season though. I don't think people need to get so uptight about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom