US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, there are also white, italian-american catholics who are liberals who support Obama.

:up:

Tonight's debate is going to be uncomfortable. McCain is going to get angry, possibly lose his temper, and certainly call Obama every name in the book. He's going to primarily use the fear doctrine the Bush Admin. was so sucessful at, saying Obama is unfit, pals with terrorists, insinuate every stereotype that racist whites will buy.

Obama will try to stay above the fray, but he will have to address the comments in a forceful, direct way, then move on to the real issues.

I predict McCain stepping all over himself.

Tonight's debate is going to be uncomfortable. McCain is going to get angry, possibly lose his temper, and certainly call Obama every name in the book. He's going to primarily use the fear doctrine the Bush Admin. was so sucessful at, saying Obama is unfit, pals with terrorists, insinuate every stereotype that racist whites will buy.

Obama will try to stay above the fray, but he will have to address the comments in a forceful, direct way, then move on to the real issues.

I predict McCain stepping all over himself.

I'd love to see that happen. And while I don't think it's a probability, it's certainly a possibility.

Again, I think the key for Obama is to lay down a few well-written sentences as a "final punch" to the smears, and then move on to the issues. The contrast between a festering old man who is stuck on smears and the guy who's talking about the economy will be stark.

Reports out of early voting states say that African American turnout is MASSIVE. I think it actually may be exceeding the Obama campaign's already high expectations. Just awesome news.

Obama is now consensus up in FL. pulling away in OH. and PA seems to be totally out of reach for McCain.

we're already hearing it, but a right wing narrative is already being put forth that McCain lost because of the banking crisis. that's foolishly simplistic. McCain started to lose steam first with the "lipstick on a pig" and the "sex ed for 5 year olds" nonsense that happened well before the banking crisis. and it's less about the crisis itself, and more about the fact that McCain gave us the "fundamentals/strong" garbage. not to mention Palin's abysmal interviews. so it has nothing to do with McCain's unfortunate membership in the Republican party at an inopportune time in history.

resist that narrative. it's garbage. the difference is that since the banking crisis McCain has appeared unstable, melodramatic, self-pitying, hysterical, and erratic. Obama has been utterly and totally presidential. he is careful. he is calm. he is an adult.

and that's why he's winning. McCain -- the esteemed John McCain, once the most popular politician in America -- looks as if he is going to lose to, and i quote Chris Rock, "a black guy that nobody had ever heard of."

and he has only himself to blame.

I'd love to see that happen. And while I don't think it's a probability, it's certainly a possibility.

Again, I think the key for Obama is to lay down a few well-written sentences as a "final punch" to the smears, and then move on to the issues. The contrast between a festering old man who is stuck on smears and the guy who's talking about the economy will be stark.

Yes, exactly!! :up: I can't wait for McCain to lose his temper so people can see how erratic he is. Obama's natural cool demeanor will speak volumes, even if he doesn't throw a verbal knock out punch. I would love to see that though!
Just a well placed verbal jab that speaks directly to the smears and then on to his plans for the economy and other real issues. Obama's visable grace and eloquence and patience is going to be unbeatable. That's a true leader ladies and gents.
McCain is going to look like a 2 yr old throwing a tantrum. It's going to be beautiful.
:):applaud::hyper:

my guess is that relatively little will be changed after this debate, and the trends already set in place will continue.

then again, McCain may feel like he needs a big moment, so maybe he'll roll the dice/throw a hail mary/double down on something or other.

like he keeps doing every month.

Obama is now consensus up in FL. pulling away in OH. and PA seems to be totally out of reach for McCain.

we're already hearing it, but a right wing narrative is already being put forth that McCain lost because of the banking crisis. that's foolishly simplistic. McCain started to lose steam first with the "lipstick on a pig" and the "sex ed for 5 year olds" nonsense that happened well before the banking crisis. and it's less about the crisis itself, and more about the fact that McCain gave us the "fundamentals/strong" garbage. not to mention Palin's abysmal interviews. so it has nothing to do with McCain's unfortunate membership in the Republican party at an inopportune time in history.

resist that narrative. it's garbage. the difference is that since the banking crisis McCain has appeared unstable, melodramatic, self-pitying, hysterical, and erratic. Obama has been utterly and totally presidential. he is careful. he is calm. he is an adult.

and that's why he's winning. McCain -- the esteemed John McCain, once the most popular politician in America -- looks as if he is going to lose to, and i quote Chris Rock, "a black guy that nobody had ever heard of."

and he has only himself to blame.

Brilliant:up: I do think, that the economic crisis was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. A look back through American history, and especially the Depression clearly shows that the Republicans aren't the party one wants in charge of an economic crisis for the simple fact that their economic philosophy of deregulation and the free market is flawed at its core. Hoover got us into the Depression and it took FDR to get us out. When you look at Hoover's economic policies and decisions and how he favored corporations and big business on everything from taxes to government aid, the parallels to our current president are scary. Bush got us into this economic crisis, it will take a Democrat to get us out.

Watch, though....

I'll bet that what we'll actually see tonight is McCain not directly going for any of the smears at all. He's going to try and use the fake "town hall" atmosphere to come off as a sweet, thoughtful, calm guy.

I still think he'll come off as a festering old bean, but I'm not banking on him slinging too much mud tonight.

Watch, though....

I'll bet that what we'll actually see tonight is McCain not directly going for any of the smears at all. He's going to try and use the fake "town hall" atmosphere to come off as a sweet, thoughtful, calm guy.

I still think he'll come off as a festering old bean, but I'm not banking on him slinging too much mud tonight.

In the first debate he sounded like he was about to you yell, "You damn kids get off my lawn!" at any moment. I don't think this will be any different. One of McCain's own strategists said about the outright lies the campaign has been throwing out about Obama, "It's a dangerous road, but we have no choice. ...If we keep talking about the economic crisis, we're going to lose." Political Punch It's absolutely despicable, and it's also why I truly believe deep down that McCain will lose this election.

If I remember correctly, thereabouts in August or early September when things looks tied/going McCain's way there was rumblings from Strongbow and others about the loonies on this forum declaring an Obama blowout victory months and months ago.

Still about a month to go, but it'd be useful to keep this in mind if the campaign keeps its current trajectory. It's possible those loonies were actually psychic. :lol:

If I remember correctly, thereabouts in August or early September when things looks tied/going McCain's way there was rumblings from Strongbow and others about the loonies on this forum declaring an Obama blowout victory months and months ago.

Still about a month to go, but it'd be useful to keep this in mind if the campaign keeps its current trajectory. It's possible those loonies were actually psychic. :lol:

actually many ran away form their supposed optimistic predictions

I think I have always said I expected a decisive win by Obama

my only question has been,
Is there a candidate that I can enthusiastically say,
"I am for him".

"I am for him".

I can't count myself among those thinking Obama would ever do this well pre-election. So it's very unsettling looking at the numbers right now.

Actually, I haven't. I hate talk radio of any kind. Actually, I just hate the radio in general. I only listen to my iPod even when I'm in the car..:lol:

They do a Grampy McSame bit on her show that is really funny.
Stephanie is a great way to start the day for me because she is comic relief from the usual bickering back and forth! That's why I love her. I need to laugh.
It's like the Daily Show on the radio. Plus she has a segment called right-wing world and she plays back all the outrageous comments from Fox.

"I am for him".

most of us made qualified guesses based upon the information on hand at the time knowing full well that polls don't mean much early, that most people weren't paying attention, and that anything could change given any crises anywhere in the world. it's interesting to see how some of our gut instincts appear to have been validated, while the wishful thinking of others has been exposed as little more than hackery.

and some of us spent months antagonizing those who could indeed enthusiastically say, "i am for him."

I have had a gut feeling for some time now that Obama would take it. The problem is, my brain was always fighting it, for good reason. Now the two are slowly coming to a symbiosis.

That said, 28 days is a long time.

Interestingly enough, the Conservatives in Canada called a snap election fearing that an Obama win in the US would boot them (it probably would). They were up massively last week, en route to a majority and have plummeted in the polls some 11% over the last 4-5 days. Coinciding precisely with Obama's steep rise in national and state polls over the same period. Lucky for them there is only a week left, so they may benefit from it, but as of right now, things are looking ugly for them.

Interestingly enough, the Conservatives in Canada called a snap election fearing that an Obama win in the US would boot them (it probably would). They were up massively last week, en route to a majority and have plummeted in the polls some 11% over the last 4-5 days. Coinciding precisely with Obama's steep rise in national and state polls over the same period. Lucky for them there is only a week left, so they may benefit from it, but as of right now, things are looking ugly for them.

no wonder no one will take you people hostage.

:tsk:

OK seriously I keep telling you guys that the Serbs took that one peacekeeper and tied him to a tree!!

In terms of the popular vote in the United States, here are the margins of victory in each election from 1824, the earliest election with complete popular vote data available, all the way up to 2004. The list is ranked based on the largest margins of victory down to the smallest in the popular vote.

1. 1920 Harding 60.32% Cox 34.15% +26.19%
2. 1924 Coolidge 54.04% Davis 28.82% +25.22%
3. 1936 Roosevelt 60.80% Landon 36.54% +24.26%
4. 1972 Nixon 60.67% McGovern 37.52% +23.15%
5. 1964 Johnson 61.05% Goldwater 38.47% +22.58%
6. 1904 Roosevelt 56.42% Parker 37.59% +18.83%
7. 1984 Reagan 58.77% Mondale 40.56% +18.21%
8. 1832 Jackson 54.74% Clay 36.93% +17.81%
9. 1932 Roosevelt 57.41% Hoover 39.65% +17.76%
10. 1928 Hoover 58.21% Smith 40.80% +17.41%
11. 1956 Eisenhower 57.37% Stevenson 41.97% +15.4%
12. 1912 Wilson 41.84% Roosevelt 27.40% +14.44%
13. 1836 Van Buren 50.79% Harrison 36.59% +14.2%
14. 1828 Jackson 55.93% Adams 43.68% +12.25%
15. 1856 Buchanan 45.29% Fremont 33.09% +12.2%
16. 1872 Grant 55.58% Greeley 43.78% +11.8%
17. 1952 Eisenhower 55.18% Stevenson 44.33% +10.85%
18. 1824 Adams 30.92% Jackson 41.36% +10.44%
19. 1860 Lincoln 39.65% Douglas 29.52% +10.13%
20. 1864 Lincoln 55.03% McClellan 44.95% +10.08%
21. 1940 Roosevelt 54.74% Willkie 44.78% +9.96%
22. 1980 Reagan 50.75% Carter 41.01% +9.74%
23. 1908 Taft 51.57% Bryan 43.04% +8.53%
24. 1996 Clinton 49.23% Dole 40.72% +8.51%
25. 1988 Bush 53.37% Dukakis 45.65% +7.72%
26. 1944 Roosevelt 53.39% Dewey 45.89% +7.5%
27. 1852 Pierce 50.83% Scott 43.88% +6.95%
28. 1900 McKinley 51.64% Bryan 45.52% +6.12%
29. 1840 Harrison 52.87% Van Buren 46.82% +6.05%
30. 1992 Clinton 43.01% Bush 37.45% +5.56%
31. 1868 Grant 52.66% Seymour 47.34% +5.32%
32. 1848 Taylor 47.28% Cass 42.49% +4.79%
33. 1948 Truman 49.55% Dewey 45.07% +4.48%
34. 1896 McKinley 51.02% Bryan 46.71% +4.31%
35. 1916 Wilson 49.24% Hughes 46.12 +3.12%
36. 1892 Cleveland 46.02% Harrison 43.01% +3.01%
37. 1876 Hayes 47.92% Tilden 50.92% +3%
38. 2004 Bush 50.73% Kerry 48.27% +2.46%
39. 1976 Carter 50.08% Ford 48.02% +2.06%
40. 1844 Polk 49.54% Clay 48.09% +1.45%
41. 1888 Harrison 47.80% Cleveland 48.63% +.83%
42. 1968 Nixon 43.42% Humphrey 42.72% +.7%
43. 1884 Cleveland 48.85% Blaine 48.28% +.57%
44. 2000 Bush 47.87% Gore 48.38% +.51%
45. 1960 Kennedy 49.72% Nixon 49.55% +.17%
46. 1880 Garfield 48.31% Hancock 48.22% +.09%

I think Sting is gearing himself up for an argument that the Obama win was completely meaningless because it was not by some all time earth shattering record breaking margin and if he really was any good it would be by some all time earth shattering record breaking margin and thus seeing as it was not by some all time earth shattering record breaking margin it should not be considered much of an achievement let alone an all time earth shattering achievement especially considering the fact that 43,256 Republicans at some point have won an election somewhere for some role or office by a larger margin than Obama’s which is interesting seeing as Little San Francisco here clearly thought Obama would or should do better than Republican Bob Redneck from Nowhere Idaho who won his race for Mayor in 1832 by a margin of 92%!!!!! What went wrong with Obama? By the way, John McCain out did Barack Obama in that same Nowhere Idaho by a margin of 3-1. Clearly not everyone felt that Obama was the best agent for change, as Little San Francisco clearly thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom