US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
heh, the speech was good, though it was all about healthcare. It was loaded with specifics and policy, and people wanted to get pumped up, and people were also passing out left and right, so he actually had somewhat hard time keeping the crowd's attention. The phrase of the day was, though, "That ain't right!" every time he listed off a McCain policy stance. "That ain't right!" The crowd was generally lower-middle class, mostly African American which is about what I expected. Plus there were random students from my university scattered throughout the crowd as well.

In all it was an insane day...but worth it to see the looks on my friends' faces who had NEVER been involved in politics before, and all of a sudden they've touched Obama. I saw the enthusiasm in their eyes that I've felt the last 8 years of my own life. I felt like a proud mama :wink:

aww wow that sounds great.. U should feel PROUD! :yes::wink:

We took a trip to kind of rural Montana today, and there were still Ron Paul 2008 yard signs in some of the gardens. :D

:in robotic voice:

Of course we approve of stuff like this. We will stop at nothing until the entire nation and indeed the entire world is under our control. yeswecanyeswecanyeswecanyeswecan.

:|

:lol: Is that what you were expecting? Come on, Diamond.. .I'm sure we could find all kinds of creepy videos from the Right Wing as well. . .

Geez. . .

How come none of you guys denounced it first?

<>

Because I'd never seen those videos before (and still haven't - your recommendations on videos haven't been very good in the past)? That's probably got something to do with why I didn't denounce them before you did.

Well, where did they come from? Who made them?

The MSM doesn't talk about every random video that pops up on YouTube. I mean, there's a lot of filler crap on the 24 hour news channels, but they aren't talking about random videos of Twilight fans wearing black lipstick and crying about how so many people hated the last book in the series, either.

Don't just throw videos up here and sit back with your arms folded and asking an expectant, smug "Well????"

Surprise, surprise. McCain's getting desperate, so he's going almost completely negative.

I think that given the political climate and the public's reaction to negativity that we've seen so far this election cycle, this could be the final nail in the coffin of his campaign.

washingtonpost.com

McCain Plans Fiercer Strategy Against Obama

By Michael D. Shear
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, October 4, 2008; Page A01

Sen. John McCain and his Republican allies are readying a newly aggressive assault on Sen. Barack Obama's character, believing that to win in November they must shift the conversation back to questions about the Democrat's judgment, honesty and personal associations, several top Republicans said.

With just a month to go until Election Day, McCain's team has decided that its emphasis on the senator's biography as a war hero, experienced lawmaker and straight-talking maverick is insufficient to close a growing gap with Obama. The Arizonan's campaign is also eager to move the conversation away from the economy, an issue that strongly favors Obama and has helped him to a lead in many recent polls.

"We're going to get a little tougher," a senior Republican operative said, indicating that a fresh batch of television ads is coming. "We've got to question this guy's associations. Very soon. There's no question that we have to change the subject here," said the operative, who was not authorized to discuss strategy and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Being so aggressive has risks for McCain if it angers swing voters, who often say they are looking for candidates who offer a positive message about what they will do. That could be especially true this year, when frustration with Washington politics is acute and a desire for specifics on how to fix the economy and fight the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is strong.

Robert Gibbs, a top Obama adviser, dismissed the new McCain strategy. "This isn't 1988," he said. "I don't think the country is going to be distracted by the trivial." He added that Obama will continue to focus on the economy, saying that Americans will remain concerned about the country's economic troubles even as the Wall Street crisis eases somewhat.

Moments after the House of Representatives approved a bailout package for Wall Street on Friday afternoon, the McCain campaign released a television ad that challenges Obama's honesty and asks, "Who is Barack Obama?" The ad alleges that "Senator Obama voted 94 times for higher taxes. Ninety-four times. He's not truthful on taxes." The charge that Obama voted 94 times for higher taxes has been called misleading by independent fact-checkers, who have noted that the majority of those votes were on nonbinding budget resolutions.

A senior campaign official called the ad "just the beginning" of commercials that will "strike the new tone" in the campaign's final days. The official said the "aggressive tone" will center on the question of "whether this guy is ready to be president."

McCain's only positive commercial, called "Original Mavericks," has largely been taken off the air, according to Evan Tracey of the Campaign Media Analysis Group, which tracks political ads.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's performance at Thursday night's debate embodied the new approach, as she used every opportunity to question Obama's honesty and fitness to serve as president. At one point she said, "Barack Obama voted against funding troops [in Iraq] after promising that he would not do so."

Palin kept up the attack yesterday, saying in an interview on Fox News that Obama is "reckless" and that some of what he has said, "in my world, disqualifies someone from consideration as the next commander in chief."

McCain hinted Thursday that a change is imminent, perhaps as soon as next week's debate. Asked at a Colorado town hall, "When are you going to take the gloves off?" the candidate grinned and replied, "How about Tuesday night?"

Yesterday in Pueblo, Colo., McCain made clear that he intends to press Obama on a variety of familiar GOP themes during the debate, as he accused the Democrat once again of getting ready to raise taxes and increase government spending.

"I guarantee you, you're going to learn a lot about who's the liberal and who's the conservative and who wants to raise your taxes and who wants to lower them," McCain said.

A senior aide said the campaign will wait until after Tuesday's debate to decide how and when to release new commercials, adding that McCain and his surrogates will continue to cast Obama as a big spender, a high taxer and someone who talks about working across the aisle but doesn't deliver.

Two other top Republicans said the new ads are likely to hammer the senator from Illinois on his connections to convicted Chicago developer Antoin "Tony" Rezko and former radical William Ayres, whom the McCain campaign regularly calls a domestic terrorist because of his acts of violence against the U.S. government in the 1960s.

The Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. appears to be off limits after McCain condemned the North Carolina Republican Party in April for an ad that linked Obama to his former pastor, saying, "Unfortunately, all I can do is, in as visible a way as possible, disassociate myself from that kind of campaigning."

McCain advisers said the new approach is in part a reaction to Obama, whose rhetoric on the stump and in commercials has also become far harsher and more aggressive.

They noted that Obama has run television commercials for months linking McCain to lobbyists and hinting at a lack of personal ethics -- an allegation that particularly rankles McCain, aides said.

Campaigning in Abington, Pa., yesterday, Obama continued to focus on the economy, even as he lashed out at McCain.

"He's now going around saying, 'I'm going to crack down on Wall Street' . . . but the truth is he's been saying 'I'm all for deregulation' for 26 years," Obama said. "He hasn't been getting tough on CEOs. He hasn't been getting tough on Wall Street. . . . Suddenly a crisis comes and the polls change, and suddenly he's out there talking like Jesse Jackson."

Obama highlighted a new report showing a reduction of more than 159,000 jobs last month, and he linked the bad economic news to McCain and Palin.

"Governor Palin said to Joe Biden that our plan to get our economy out of the ditch was somehow a job-killing plan; that's what she said," Obama told a crowd of thousands. "I wonder if she turned on the news this morning. . . . When Senator McCain and his running mate talk about job killing, that's something they know a thing or two about, because the policies they've supported and are supporting are killing jobs in America every single day."

McCain issued a statement yesterday saying the bailout bill "is not perfect, and it is an outrage that it's even necessary. But we must stop the damage to our economy done by corrupt and incompetent practices on Wall Street and in Washington."

Speaking in Pueblo just as the House was finishing deliberations on the package, McCain blamed fellow lawmakers for the failure to adequately regulate the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

"It was the Democrats and some Republicans in the Congress who pushed back and did not allow those reforms to take place, and that's a major reason we are in the trouble we are in today," he said. "Those members of Congress ought to be held accountable on November 4th as well."

Before the bailout crisis, aides said, McCain was succeeding in focusing attention on Obama's record and character. Now, they say, he must return to those subjects.

"We are looking for a very aggressive last 30 days," said Greg Strimple, one of McCain's top advisers. "We are looking forward to turning a page on this financial crisis and getting back to discussing Mr. Obama's aggressively liberal record and how he will be too risky for Americans."

Well, where did they come from? Who made them?

The MSM doesn't talk about every random video that pops up on YouTube. I mean, there's a lot of filler crap on the 24 hour news channels, but they aren't talking about random videos of Twilight fans wearing black lipstick and crying about how so many people hated the last book in the series, either.

Don't just throw videos up here and sit back with your arms folded and asking an expectant, smug "Well????"

Ya you are right.

I think they are totally freaky but what's the reason why the MSM would show this on its newscasts?

These are obviously over the top supporters. I'm sure Palin has some too.

It's really not that big of a deal.

If you want to prove a point diamond, use better examples. Like ones produced by Obama.

McCain is running one of the most inept campaigns in recent history and I say that having watched Rudy Giuliani make a total jackass of himself.

What makes McCain's campaign maybe even worse is that he actually had the benefit of observing a very closely fought primary battle between Obama and Hillary. And rather than learning something from it, he's decided to rely on every line of attack that already failed once, except this time with the added bonus of total economic collapse being the primary motivating factor on voters' minds. Heckuva job.

McCain is running one of the most inept campaigns in recent history and I say that having watched Rudy Giuliani make a total jackass of himself.

What makes McCain's campaign maybe even worse is that he actually had the benefit of observing a very closely fought primary battle between Obama and Hillary. And rather than learning something from it, he's decided to rely on every line of attack that already failed once, except this time with the added bonus of total economic collapse being the primary motivating factor on voters' minds. Heckuva job.

Exactly.

From the sound of that article I posted, he may come out swinging in the next debate. That won't play well to undecideds at all. I'm not a professional political analyst, and even I know that.

Maybe we'll get the debate implosion from McCain, rather than Palin.

All policy aside, he really is sounding like a few screws are loose.

There was a clip that was played on the news networks on Friday night of McCain at a rally, talking about the VP debate that had taken place the night before, saying, 'How about Sarah Palin', 'How about her performance', etc etc, and in between which sentence, he was making this part-old-man-part-animal sound that I can't even adequately describe, and then after that, he said 'I felt sorry for my old friend Joe Biden', after which he laughed this sickly, ill-intentioned laugh that made him sound absolutely bonkers.

Did anyone else see this clip?

There was a clip that was played on the news networks on Friday night of McCain at a rally, talking about the VP debate that had taken place the night before, saying, 'How about Sarah Palin', 'How about her performance', etc etc, and in between which sentence, he was making this part-old-man-part-animal sound that I can't even adequately describe, and then after that, he said 'I felt sorry for my old friend Joe Biden', after which he laughed this sickly, ill-intentioned laugh that made him sound absolutely bonkers.

Did anyone else see this clip?

No, but I know the sound/laugh you mean. Whenever he attempts to laugh, it reminds me of Beavis and Butt-Head. So forced and unnatural.

i know that some people want to think that the only reason Obama is skyrocketing in the polls and McCain is falling is because of the economy, but there's more to the rise than the fact that McCain admits he knows nothing about the economy and the only place Republicans have ever taken us is economic ruin.

his campaign is making him seem crazier than even George W Bush tried to make him out to be in the SC primaries in 2000.

he's acting unstable. he's acting like a drama queen. he's acting like a man prone to fits of rage. he's acting like a gambler.

he's acting like he's entirely unfit for the office.

and that's as big a reason as anything else right now.

well, we know they've stooped so low they're calling Obama a terrorist now.

how much lower can they go? Obama needs to nail McCain to the wall on such nonsense.

I would love, LOVE to see Obama call him out on the negativity during the debate, and then have McCain use the "well if Obama had agreed to those town hall meetings I wouldn't be acting like such a dick right now" line. Let's see how well that plays to a live audience.

You know, I have to think that a lot of the dirty/ridiculous stuff/tactics that the McCain campaign has been employing have to fall at the feet of Karl Rove or his people that the McCain campaign has working for them.

And then I have to wonder if history will look upon Karl Rove as one of the dirtiest, cutthroat, most conscienceless political operatives of his time.

I love that Sarah Palin is trying to invent Obama scandals while traipsing around the lower 48 states while avoiding a subpoena back at home. Classic.

That's what Obama needs to do.

Go out and just say it, no matter what they are talking about. Just say, I want you to stop incinuating that I am a terrorist. Say it plain and say it looking into his eyes. Either McCain will apoligize and you've got your knockout or he gets flustered and takes it takes him off his game!

This is what I think would be a good idea.

But the Obama campaign seems to want to play these debates so they just tie, that way they stay steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom