US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't get overly confident about an Obama win although with the economy in ruins maybe that's what the powers-that-be want.

It couldn't possibly be that the voters, having seen the Republicans ruin the economy, would like to see a change.

Talk about CONSPIRACY!!!

Something fresh to talk about:

The video: Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

The sign:
0006(38).jpg

I think it's high time we ask for a spelling change... of "politics." It should definitely be spelled as pololtics from now on. :lol:

or better yet spell it politix ...ooh wait.. am I ripping off Coldplay... :hmm:

It couldn't possibly be that the voters, having seen the Republicans ruin the economy, would like to see a change.

Talk about CONSPIRACY!!!

Being a fan of Obama as a person I wouldn't wish this economic crisis on my worst enemy. It seems the Republicans are doing all they can to lose the election i.e. voting against the bailout despite ruining McCain - not to mention all the Palin flub -up's. If she completely bombs in the debate we'll know that - the reason I'm so suspicious is that the Sarah Palin we see on all these talk shows is NOT the same Sarah Palin we saw at the Republican convention - either she was so overhandled by the McCain team that she completely lost any of her personality or someone's telling her to act like a complete bimbo. Granted, it's most likely that the McCain team has overcoached her to the point of no return but it's strange that after such a strong debut that it's been so downhill ever since...not slightly downhill but like a thousand feet over a cliff downhill (which makes me a little suspicious). Another scenerio, and one that is highly unlikely but still possible, is that we'll see the return of the Sarah Palin of the convention and she'll knock one out of the park. Actually, come to think of it, at this point all she has to do is not drool or speak in tounges and she could come out looking like the winner.

Given your last couple of elections why wouldn't I be suspicious of some kind of foul play. :ohmy:

Being a fan of Obama as a person I wouldn't wish this economic crisis on my worst enemy. It seems the Republicans are doing all they can to lose the election i.e. voting against the bailout despite ruining McCain - not to mention all the Palin flub -up's. If she completely bombs in the debate we'll know that - the reason I'm so suspicious is that the Sarah Palin we see on all these talk shows is NOT the same Sarah Palin we saw at the Republican convention - either she was so overhandled by the McCain team that she completely lost any of her personality or someone's telling her to act like a complete bimbo. Granted, it's most likely that the McCain team has overcoached her to the point of no return but it's strange that after such a strong debut that it's been so downhill ever since...not slightly downhill but like a thousand feet over a cliff downhill (which makes me a little suspicious). Another scenerio, and one that is highly unlikely but still possible, is that we'll see the return of the Sarah Palin of the convention and she'll knock one out of the park. Actually, come to think of it, at this point all she has to do is not drool or speak in tounges and she could come out looking like the winner.

Why the suspicion? She sang the rhetoric to the choir the night of the convention. Anyone can do that! Hell I could even fake my way through a Republican convention speech. You don't have to have a grasp of the issues or be able to think on your feet with a convention speech, that's the easiest part of being a politician. We are now seeing the real Palin. There's no conspiracy here.

I love the old couple in the background. The guy goes to put his hand up for McCain, and his wife grabs it and pulls it back down.

My favourite Fox show at the moment is Fox & Friends. It's a laugh a minute.

Why the suspicion? She sang the rhetoric to the choir the night of the convention. Anyone can do that! Hell I could even fake my way through a Republican convention speech. You don't have to have a grasp of the issues or be able to think on your feet with a convention speech, that's the easiest part of being a politician. We are now seeing the real Palin. There's no conspiracy here.

O.K. I'll give you that but how did she ever become Gov. of Alaska???
And why is it alot of folks that have seen debate footage of her say that she's actually quite good??? The person we saw on the talk shows could never get elected Gov. or win a debate. I think the McCain team overcoached her to the point of becoming a robotic personality - probably by mistake. But there is no doubt in my mind if she had been left alone to be herself she might have been able to pull off the Ronald Reagan trick - somehow being able to speak to "average folks" despite most intellectuals thinking your'e a simpleton. All you Obama supporters should thank your lucky stars it didn't turn out that way - it certainly looked like it was going to.

That still does not explain why the overwhelming majority of Republicans voted against a bill that John McCain had asked that they support...and in an election year!!! What's with that??? Do they think they've already lost or that the economy is going to get so bad that they'd rather leave the mess for Obama and come back in 2012????

O.K. I'll give you that but how did she ever become Gov. of Alaska???
How many out there actually pay attention to local politics outside of R vs D?

And why is it alot of folks that have seen debate footage of her say that she's actually quite good???
Who are you hearing this from, and what debates?

The person we saw on the talk shows could never get elected Gov. or win a debate. I think the McCain team overcoached her to the point of becoming a robotic personality - probably by mistake. But there is no doubt in my mind if she had been left alone to be herself she might have been able to pull off the Ronald Reagan trick - somehow being able to speak to "average folks" despite most intellectuals thinking your'e a simpleton. All you Obama supporters should thank your lucky stars it didn't turn out that way - it certainly looked like it was going to.
Local politics don't get that much TV time that isn't scripted. But you're right, she probably is overcoached, she doesn't seem like a woman who really paid attention all that much to issues outside her state so she had to be. Lots of information in a short time, she wasn't ready for this. Most of us saw this coming from a mile away.

How many out there actually pay attention to local politics outside of R vs D?

Who are you hearing this from, and what debates?

Local politics don't get that much TV time that isn't scripted. But you're right, she probably is overcoached, she doesn't seem like a woman who really paid attention all that much to issues outside her state so she had to be. Lots of information in a short time, she wasn't ready for this. Most of us saw this coming from a mile away.

"Who are you hearing this from, and what debates?

What it's like to debate Sarah Palin

Oh, only a guy that's debated her 12 times!!!

In terms of the Republican convention speech, it should be pointed out that the bulk of the speech was written long before Palin was selected as the nominee. They changed the personal details, but that's about it. All she had to was read something written by someone else. She was just as uninformed and unprepared then as we've now seen, but reading a speech didn't require her to think. It required her to have the reading skills of a 6th grader. That's not exactly impressive on any level. My 11 year old cousin could have read the same speech as Palin did and done as well as she did.

That still does not explain why the overwhelming majority of Republicans voted against a bill that John McCain had asked that they support...and in an election year!!! What's with that??? Do they think they've already lost or that the economy is going to get so bad that they'd rather leave the mess for Obama and come back in 2012????

Look at who has voted against it and then look who is up for vote in his/her district.

In terms of the Republican convention speech, it should be pointed out that the bulk of the speech was written long before Palin was selected as the nominee. They changed the personal details, but that's about it. All she had to was read something written by someone else. She was just as uninformed and unprepared then as we've now seen, but reading a speech didn't require her to think. It required her to have the reading skills of a 6th grader. That's not exactly impressive on any level. My 11 year old cousin could have read the same speech as Palin did and done as well as she did.

Then quickly, call the McCain headquarters and get your 11 year old cousin to replace Palin. I shouldn't say this, beacause I've never met your 11 year old cousin, but I'd probably feel safer with him/her on the ballot than Palin...or for that matter all 4 candidates!!! Maybe then some real problems would be solved.

Then quickly, call the McCain headquarters and get your 11 year old cousin to replace Palin. I shouldn't say this, beacause I've never met your 11 year old cousin, but I'd probably feel safer with him/her on the ballot than Palin...or for that matter all 4 candidates!!! Maybe then some real problems would be solved.

Well, maybe not all 4 candidates, but I'm pretty sure she (my cousin, that is) is more intelligent than Palin.

:lol: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lmao:

John McCain is such a fool!

:lol:

Sources: U.S. fires into Pakistani village - CNN.com

I can't get enough of watching him wallow in the mire and have to figure out what he wants to claim as his true beliefs. Do I be like Bush? Do I be against Bush? :lmao:

The guy's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't---and it's so fun to watch!

BEST quote ever----Pat Buchanan tonight on Rachael Maddow said something along the lines of, "You have the populists in the Republican Party, the true Americans with American ideals, and you have the establishment portion of the party that's in power......John McCain is the establishment portion, the George Bush I and George Bush II portion...."

:ohmy:

:lol:

What I am most sad about is the fact that I have always taken great pleasure from debating in here. So much so, I often took the side opposite of some of my true beliefs.

I cannot even stomach doing that, because, more and more, I find there is no firm ground to stand on to even begin to defend where the republican nominee and his running mate have brought us.

Go Obama:D

I wasn't aware of the cruel fact that there's a female Buchanan inflicted on this already hurting country. I just saw Pat's sister, Bay, on CNN trying to defend the selection of Palin. She might have made one of the least intelligent arguments ever. Wow. I'm not the biggest fan of George Carville, who she was debating/bullying, but he sounded like a genius compared to her.

If you're a conservative you must just hate that speech. I really like Obama but he is promising an awful lot, isn't he?

. . . Reading it makes me think he's thinking too big for a economy in such disarray.

Agreed. I'm always skeptical of all politicians' pallet of promises. I'd be more interested in what he won't be able to do than that he will. He said that some items on his agenda might have to be curtailed for the time being. . .which ones, I wonder?

That is only one poll, and its from msnbc, but if more start to come out like that its curtains for Johnny Mac!

Just a few thoughts:

-Dreadsox's comment says it all. A person that always looks at all sides of arguements and understands that one side isn't right all the time (something that's missing around here sometimes) has now been converted. Very telling!

-Through some peoples assesment of Palin's speech you would think speeches were easy to give. I understand its writtin for them but don't make it out to be an unimportant part of politicing. Obama has made his remarkable run to the White House on the backs of some of his great speeches. You don't honestly think he writes all his speeches do you? Just look at Bush and Clinton. Give them the same speech and see who can convert more people to their points of view. Its a very important and useful tool that Sarah Palin uses and does so effectively. That's not to say she can think on her feet or be able to be a good debator. But she is going to have her talking points and she will express them very well. Don't under estimate her over estimate her! My prediction is that she'll be far better than lots are saying, that's not to say she'll be very good just not as bad.

Do I think that Obama writes all of his own speeches? No, but we do know he writes most of them as did Clinton. There was a book out recently from the son of a famous presidential speechwriter who talked at length about how Truman, Kennedy, and Clinton all wrote the majority of their own speeches. I have much more respect, personally, for people who do. I agree that Obama and Clinton are two of the greatest political orators of our time. Sarah Palin can give a good speech, but she is nothing compared to those two. I wasn't trying to scoff at her for giving a good speech, but for not being able to do anything other than give a good speech. Obama has proven throughout this campaign that he is capable of much more.

-Through some peoples assesment of Palin's speech you would think speeches were easy to give. I understand its writtin for them but don't make it out to be an unimportant part of politicing. Obama has made his remarkable run to the White House on the backs of some of his great speeches. You don't honestly think he writes all his speeches do you? Just look at Bush and Clinton. Give them the same speech and see who can convert more people to their points of view. Its a very important and useful tool that Sarah Palin uses and does so effectively. That's not to say she can think on her feet or be able to be a good debator. But she is going to have her talking points and she will express them very well. Don't under estimate her over estimate her! My prediction is that she'll be far better than lots are saying, that's not to say she'll be very good just not as bad.

I think my point about her speech was that on that paticular night anyone could have read those words and energized the party. You have to remember, a lot of the Republican party were reluctantly backing McCain, he needed a "true" conservative to unify the party. They were somewhat desperate and because of that anyone could have read off the rhetoric and won them over that night.

Do I think that Obama writes all of his own speeches? No, but we do know he writes most of them as did Clinton. There was a book out recently from the son of a famous presidential speechwriter who talked at length about how Truman, Kennedy, and Clinton all wrote the majority of their own speeches. I have much more respect, personally, for people who do. I agree that Obama and Clinton are two of the greatest political orators of our time. Sarah Palin can give a good speech, but she is nothing compared to those two. I wasn't trying to scoff at her for giving a good speech, but for not being able to do anything other than give a good speech.

I'm not comparing her to Obama or Clinton, but I do think she's good at speeches from a personal view. Mind you not my personal view but people on the other side of the coin.

Obama has proven throughout this campaign that he is capable of much more

This is 100% correct, and thus why he will win the election. I just don't know why liberals are going on all the talk shows saying she's going to get killed by Biden. They should be saying that she is cappable of having a great debate and that she is experienced in this arena(debates). Make her out to be an excellent debator, that way it'll look better if (when) Biden wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom