US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ You know, speaking of racism, here's yet another example of it from the left rather than just hypothetical "what if"s.

Political Radar: Florida Congressman: Palin 'Don't Care Too Much What They Do With Jews and Blacks'

ABC News' Teddy Davis Reports: Florida Democratic Congressman Alcee Hastings pointed to Sarah Palin on Wednesday to rally Jews to Obama.

"If Sarah Palin isn’t enough of a reason for you to get over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better pay attention," said Hastings. "Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don’t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So, you just think this through."

Hastings, who is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, made his comments in Washington, D.C., while participating in a panel discussion sponsored by the National Jewish Democratic Council.

Asked what the congressman meant, Hastings spokesman David Goldenberg told ABC News that he was trying to argue that Palin is an "extremely conservative woman who is out of touch with mainstream America."

After saying that Palin "don't care too much" about Jews and blacks, Hastings argued that African Americans and Jews should come together behind Obama because there are many issues on which they agree.

"Just like Jews, blacks care about affordable health care, energy independence, and the separation of church and state," said Hastings. "And just like blacks, Jews care about equal pay for equal work, investment in alternative energy, and a woman's right to choose."

Asked about the Hastings criticism, Palin spokeswoman Maria Comella said, "We’re taking a pass."

---

This really is getting laughable. Anyone saying the right is playing the race card more than the left during this election is an idiot. And I don't use the word "idiot" that much.

You know, speaking of racism, here's yet another example of it from the left rather than just hypothetical "what if"s.

This really is getting laughable. Anyone saying the right is playing the race card more than the left during this election is an idiot. And I don't use the word "idiot" that much.

I agree there are some idiots playing the race card, just like there are idiots playing the sex card with Palin...

But do you believe that playing the race card is in itself racism?

But do you believe that playing the race card is in itself racism?

to some, the accusation of someone else playing the race card is worse than actual racism itself.

i can't believe a comment by some silly person in Florida doing some rinky-dink event is somehow evidence that the Obama campaign as a whole is somehow just as guilty of the McCain campaign of doing that whole "race card" thing.

does anyone even know what it means to "play the race card"?

because i'm willing to bet that no one actually knows what it means.

if McCain gets his way, there won't even be a VP debate.

I don't really see that happening. Do you think it's a real possibility? With the way Palin's numbers have been tanking since much of the American public has woken up from their moose meat induced coma, I think a lot of people really want to see what she knows. If the McCain campaign wants to pull a Cheney, though, and shoot itself in the face, I say go for it.

I don't really see that happening. Do you think it's a real possibility? With the way Palin's numbers have been tanking since much of the American public has woken up from their moose meat induced coma, I think a lot of people really want to see what she knows. If the McCain campaign wants to pull a Cheney, though, and shoot itself in the face, I say go for it.

this is why, i'm thinking, McCain wants to "postpone" the debates -- he's trying to run out the clock, and he'll make the argument that having 3 presidential debates is more important than the 1 VP debate.

i also think he's distracting from that train wreck Katie Couric interview.

remember, she's never had a press conference since she was announced. they are not letting her answer any questions unless in strictly controlled environments. these are tactics used by dictatorships all over the world. they are not interested in democracy, they are interested in gaining power no matter the cost.

this is why, i'm thinking, McCain wants to "postpone" the debates -- he's trying to run out the clock, and he'll make the argument that having 3 presidential debates is more important than the 1 VP debate.

i also think he's distracting from that train wreck Katie Couric interview.

remember, she's never had a press conference since she was announced. they are not letting her answer any questions unless in strictly controlled environments. these are tactics used by dictatorships all over the world. they are not interested in democracy, they are interested in gaining power no matter the cost.

Why the obsession with Palin?

I don't really see the McCain supporters going heavy after Biden?

and he has created some problems for Obama

Biden has caused several problems for the Obama campaign. This week he was forced to issue a clarification after he called one of his own campaign ads “terrible” in an interview with CBS News.

He was also rebuked Obama after he spoke out against the government bailout of American International Group last week before Obama was ready to take a position.

On Tuesday, he said that President Franklin Roosevelt had gone on television in 1929 to discuss the Wall Street crash - but Herbert Hoover was president in 1929 and the TV hadn’t been invented yet.

At one point, he even said Hillary Clinton might have been a better pick for Obama’s No. 2.

quote from this article here

Well, let's look at what's been said over and over...

She in all practicality is much closer to taking over president than Biden.

She's a newcomer that we know very little about...

She's an obviously reactionary and transparent pick...

McCain wouldn't have the numbers he has without her...

Just to name a few.

really??

very few Democratic voters in the Primaries thought he should have that opportunity.

Very few Democratic voters probably had the slightest idea of who Biden really was unless they were deeply involved in politics. From the beginning of the race, before the Iowa primary was held, we all knew the Democratic candidate was going to be Hillary or Obama (with most bets going towards Hillary) because of the huge media coverage surrounding their campaigns, which leads to more money in campaign contributions, more face time with the public, etc. In our media-driven society those with the most attention inevitably get the most votes, Biden is clearly as qualified to be POTUS as Obama and Hillary, he just didn't have the momentum, aka money, or the media darling status to elevate him to a place in the public consciousness.

I don't really see the McCain supporters going heavy after Biden?

because Biden isn't an irresponsible, thoroughly political, Hail Mary pick. it's not just that Palin is manifestly unqualified and unprepared and has used her small amount of time in power to reward cronies and punish enemies while being totally averse to the truth. it's what the selection of this individual says about John McCain. he met her once.

what are you going to go after Biden for? policy? HA! it's not like the McCain campaign wants to debate policy or positions, that's why they chose Palin to begin with. whenever they talk issues, they lose. so distract, throw shiny things at us, run the Statue of Liberty play and see what happens.

and he has created some problems for Obama

these sound like Biden gaffes. embarrassing, sure, but totally inconsequential to the actual issues at hand.

though, if you'd had an actual GOP VP nominee, like Ridge or Mittens or Lieberman, then Biden's gaffes might actually seem of some consequence.

instead, we're wondering if Palin could even identify the Pakistan/Afghanistan border on a map.

he's trying to distract from the narrative that his campaign is collapsing at the same time as Sarah Palin has been unmasked as thoroughly unprepared by Katie Couric.

John McCain's campaign is "collapsing"? Sarah Palin "unmasked"?

Well, the Gallup poll does not seem to agree.

Gallup Daily: Race Back to a Tie at 46% Each

PRINCETON, NJ -- John McCain has gained ground and is now tied with Barack Obama among registered voters in the latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking update for Sept. 22-24, with each candidate getting 46% support.

This update covers interviewing conducted Monday through Wednesday, and as such includes one night after McCain's announcement that he was suspending election campaigning and flying to Washington to help seek a bipartisan solution to the financial crisis. A night by night analysis of interviewing results, however, does not suggest that McCain had a dramatically better night against Obama on Wednesday. Instead, the data show that McCain has been doing slightly better for the last three days than he had in the previous week, and with some strong Obama days falling off of the rolling average, the race has moved to its current tied position. This is the first report since Sept. 13-15, in which Obama did not have at least a one percentage point edge.

Gallup Daily: Race Back to a Tie at 46% Each

Still no sign of the Obama Tsunami.

who here wants to bet that the ONLY reason that McCain made the super dramatic move to "suspend" his campaign -- despite the ads and the surrogates still on the teevee this morning -- was so he could draw attention to the fact that he's going to descend on washington and imperiously vote NO on the bailout so he can be a MAVERICK and be DIFFERENT from the (worst president ever) GEORGE W. BUSH?

truly, country first. right, Mr. McCain.

who here wants to bet that the ONLY reason that McCain made the super dramatic move to "suspend" his campaign -- despite the ads and the surrogates still on the teevee this morning -- was so he could draw attention to the fact that he's going to descend on washington and imperiously vote NO on the bailout so he can be a MAVERICK and be DIFFERENT from the (worst president ever) GEORGE W. BUSH?

truly, country first. right, Mr. McCain.

I'm in

$100

( I'll have to re-activate my pay pal account, just for you )

seriously

are in in for the $100?

i wouldn't even know how to collect.

how about this.

i win, you write 10 complimentary things about Obama.

you win, i'll write 10 complimentary* things about McCain.

* - will have to be pre-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom