US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9 - Page 64 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #946
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:42 AM
ok already I thought Dread was voting republican based on his attack against me the other day so yeah.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:07 AM   #947
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Speaking of less than honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
So McCain gets ugly after much ugliness thrown at him.
Yes. Clearly it was Obama who made McCain renege on his pledge to hold a respectful campaign.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #948
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Yes. Clearly it was Obama who made McCain renege on his pledge to hold a respectful campaign.
damn straight! Shoulda held those town hall meetings like he said. . .
Old 10-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #949
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Obama’s Personal Ties Are Subject of Program on Fox News Channel

By JIM RUTENBERG
New York Times, October 6

During a weekend of Republican attacks on Senator Barack Obama’s personal associations, Fox News Channel ran a program Sunday that made provocative assertions about similar connections, called “Obama & Friends: The History of Radicalism.” Sean Hannity, the conservative radio and television host, was the host of the hourlong program, which raised, among other things, unsubstantiated accusations that Mr. Obama’s work as a community organizer in Chicago was “training for a radical overthrow of the government.”

The statement came from Andy Martin, a conservative writer and frequent political candidate who is credited as being among the first—if not the first—to assert in a chain e-mail message that Mr. Obama was secretly a Muslim...Peppering his statements with phrases like “in my opinion” and “my view is,” Mr. Martin said Mr. Obama’s political career had been engineered by Bill Ayers, a founder and former member of the radical Weather Underground and now an education professor in Chicago. Various reports, including ones in The New York Times, have found no evidence that Mr. Obama and Mr. Ayers were particularly close, although they have had various points of contact. Mr. Ayers was host of an event for Mr. Obama early in his political career, they served together on a charitable board, and both worked on an educational project financed by the billionaire philanthropist Walter H. Annenberg.

Saying he believed that ties between Mr. Obama and Mr. Ayers were deeper, and reporting that Mr. Ayers had been an admirer of the Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez, who, in turn, is an acolyte of Fidel Castro, Mr. Martin said, “If you love the Cuban revolution and Castro, and if you love what’s happening in Venezuela with Hugo Chávez, you’ll love Barry Obama—Barack Obama, as he calls himself—in the White House.” For good measure, Mr. Martin, who made a failed bid to run on the Republican line in the 2004 race for a Senate seat from Illinois that Mr. Obama won, added, “We are basically going in the throes of a social revolution which attempts to essentially freeze out anybody who is not part of this radical ideology.” ...Mr. Martin said he was careful not to present his theories about Mr. Obama as proven fact. “That is my opinion—expert opinion—if you will,” Mr. Martin said of his commentary on Mr. Hannity’s program. “I don’t pretend to be an exclusively fact-based reporter, though I try as hard as I can to get the facts.”
An article about Mr. Martin from the conservative broadsheet The Washington Times, December 22, 1999:
Quote:
An attack ad against George W. Bush now running on New Hampshire's largest television station was bought by a Florida man who has run for office in four states and who once said the purpose of one of his campaigns was to "exterminate Jew power." Andy Martin, who has run for offices under other names, appears in his own 30-second spot ad on WMUR-TV. The ad says: "George Bush had a cocaine problem. His brain suffered from alcohol abuse. Don't trust Bush with your vote until he trusts you with the truth about his past."

New Hampshire Republican Party officials say Mr. Martin is one of about 50 fringe candidates who perennially file papers to run in the state's Republican presidential-nomination primary..."This guy has run for everything from dog catcher to president, and he is not a credible candidate," Jaime Wilson, executive director of the Florida Republican Party, said.

...In 1986, when Mr. Martin ran as a Democrat for Connecticut's 3rd Congressional District seat under the name "Anthony R. Martin-Trigona," his campaign committee filed papers saying its purpose was to "exterminate Jew power in America and impeach U.S. District Court of Appeals judges in New York City." Florida party officials say Mr. Martin has a law degree but is not a member of the Florida bar or any other bar. That hadn't stopped him from filing lawsuits for much of his life--until a Connecticut federal judge finally barred him from filing any more federal lawsuits without permission. The judge said Mr. Martin has pursued legal actions with "persistence, viciousness, and general disregard for decency and logic."

...In a New York bankruptcy case, he referred to a judge as a "crooked, slimy Jew." During the bankruptcy dispute, he filed a civil-rights lawsuit claiming Jewish bankruptcy judges and lawyers were conspiring to steal his property. He asked a court to bar "any Jew from having anything to do with plaintiff's property." In another motion in the case, he wrote: "I am able to understand how the Holocaust took place, and with every passing day feel less and less sorry that it did, when Jew survivors are operating as a wolf pack to steal my property."

A former adjunct professor of law at the City University of New York, he also once tried to get elected mayor of Chicago. In 1980, he was sentenced to 12 years in prison for mail fraud, but a federal appeals court overturned the conviction.
This is Hannity's idea of a credible guest commentator?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #950
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
This is Hannity's idea of a credible guest commentator?
Credible? Hannity? Huh?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #951
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Real clear projection -

Obama/Biden 364 McCain/Palin 174

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

I think this is the best Obama can do, he may still get 11 more (Indiana)

to make it Obama/Biden 375 McCain/Palin 163

which means he can not do as well as
Clinton/Gore 379 Dole/Kemp 159,
Reagan/Bush 489 Carter/Mondale 49, or
Nixon/Agnew 520 McGovern/Shriver 17

too bad we didn't get a Clinton on the ticket.
I'll take that. It'd be seen as a relative "tsunami" compared to the last two elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
This is going to get ugly. All hope at issues over the next month are diminishing.
I'm hoping that Obama can stick 95% to the issues---he'd look that much better for it. Have the surrogates out there questioning McCain, while Obama throws down just a few, brief & decisive "final punches," then spends the majority of his time on the issues. As Earnie pointed out, the people whose votes are up in the air seem to care more about the economy.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #952
Blue Crack Addict

McCain does nothing as supporter calls Obama a "terrorist"

At Palin's freak show in FL another "upstanding American" weighed in:

"Now it turns out, one of his earliest supporters is a man named Bill Ayers," Palin said.

"Boooo!" said the crowd.

"And, according to the New York Times, he was a domestic terrorist and part of a group that, quote, 'launched a campaign of bombings that would target the Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol,'" she continued.

"Boooo!" the crowd repeated.

"Kill him!" proposed one man in the audience."
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #953
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:42 AM
And they say Obama supporters are psycho...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #954
Blue Crack Addict

^seriously.. geez.. that's all we need to worry about now... frickin lunatics like that.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #955
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If McCain didn't want to be compared to Bush then he shouldn't have crawled so far up Bush's ass that he's coming out of his mouth.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #956
Blue Crack Addict

by Bruce Springsteen

The following are my comments from the stage at yesterday's Vote For Change rally in Philadelphia:

Hello Philly,

I am glad to be here today for this voter registration drive and for Barack Obama, the next president of the United States.

I've spent 35 years writing about America, its people, and the meaning of the American Promise. The Promise that was handed down to us, right here in this city from our founding fathers, with one instruction: Do your best to make these things real: opportunity, equality, social and economic justice, a fair shake for all of our citizens, the American idea, as a positive influence, around the world for a more just and peaceful existence. These are the things that give our lives hope, shape, and meaning. They are the ties that bind us together and give us faith in our contract with one another.

I've spent most of my creative life measuring the distance between that American promise and American reality. For many Americans, who are today losing their jobs, their homes, seeing their retirement funds disappear, who have no healthcare, or who have been abandoned in our inner cities, the distance between that promise and that reality has never been greater or more painful.

I believe Senator Obama has taken the measure of that distance in his own life and in his work. I believe he understands, in his heart, the cost of that distance, in blood and suffering, in the lives of everyday Americans. I believe as president, he would work to restore that promise to so many of our fellow citizens who have justifiably lost faith in its meaning. After the disastrous administration of the past 8 years, we need someone to lead us in an American reclamation project. In my job, I travel the world, and occasionally play big stadiums, just like Senator Obama. I've continued to find, wherever I go, America remains a repository of people's hopes, possibilities, and desires, and that despite the terrible erosion to our standing around the world, accomplished by our recent administration, we remain, for many, a house of dreams. One thousand George Bushes and one thousand Dick Cheneys will never be able to tear that house down.

They will, however, be leaving office, dropping the national tragedies of Katrina, Iraq, and our financial crisis in our laps. Our sacred house of dreams has been abused, looted, and left in a terrible state of disrepair. It needs care; it needs saving, it needs defending against those who would sell it down the river for power or a quick buck. It needs strong arms, hearts, and minds. It needs someone with Senator Obama's understanding, temperateness, deliberativeness, maturity, compassion, toughness, and faith, to help us rebuild our house once again. But most importantly, it needs us. You and me. To build that house with the generosity that is at the heart of the American spirit. A house that is truer and big enough to contain the hopes and dreams of all of our fellow citizens. That is where our future lies. We will rise or fall as a people by our ability to accomplish this task. Now I don't know about you, but I want that dream back, I want my America back, I want my country back.

So now is the time to stand with Barack Obama and Joe Biden, roll up our sleeves, and come on up for the rising.

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen Performs "The Rising" for Obama Rally!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #957
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
ok already I thought Dread was voting republican based on his attack against me the other day so yeah.
there's still plenty of time for dread to come to his senses.

<>
Old 10-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #958
Blue Crack Addict

Reports out of early voting states say that African American turnout is MASSIVE. I think it actually may be exceeding the Obama campaign's already high expectations. Just awesome news.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #959
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

Here it is:

YouTube - Obama called a terrorist in front of erratic McCain
Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #960
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 PM