US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9 - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #931
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Have you read this? Make-Believe Maverick : Rolling Stone

I knew about some of this before reading it, but still, it's kind of horrifying to see all his misdeeds tallied in one place.

I liked him up until this campaign got going, too. Now, he scares me more than Bush ever did.
I just read that article on rollingstone.com, and I'm glad it's already posted here. This part was similar to the argument I made when I had a heated debate with a couple posters around here a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Even those in the military who celebrate McCain's patriotism and sacrifice question why his POW experience has been elevated as his top qualification to be commander in chief. "It took guts to go through that and to come out reasonably intact and able to pick up the pieces of your life and move on," says Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff, who has known McCain since the 1980s. "It is unquestionably a demonstration of the character of the man. But I don't think that it is a special qualification for being president of the United States. In some respects, I'm not sure that's the kind of character I want sitting in the Oval Office. I'm not sure that much time in a prisoner-of-war status doesn't do something to you. Doesn't do something to you psychologically, doesn't do something to you that might make you a little more volatile, a little less apt to listen to reason, a little more inclined to be volcanic in your temperament."

Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #932
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
You know, I have to think that a lot of the dirty/ridiculous stuff/tactics that the McCain campaign has been employing have to fall at the feet of Karl Rove or his people that the McCain campaign has working for them.

And then I have to wonder if history will look upon Karl Rove as one of the dirtiest, cutthroat, most conscienceless political operatives of his time.
I wouldn't be surprised- KR involved. Hopefully he'll be "placed" (historicaly) on the shelf next to Lee Atwater & ooops _______ forgot the other guy's name (involved w Fox News).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I love that Sarah Palin is trying to invent Obama scandals while traipsing around the lower 48 states while avoiding a subpoena back at home. Classic.
I hope that ? commisions report from Alaska on her activities will make it out before the election. I know SP's been fighting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
That's what Obama needs to do.

Go out and just say it, no matter what they are talking about. Just say, I want you to stop incinuating that I am a terrorist. Say it plain and say it looking into his eyes. Either McCain will apoligize and you've got your knockout or he gets flustered and takes it takes him off his game!

This is what I think would be a good idea.

But the Obama campaign seems to want to play these debates so they just tie, that way they stay steady.
I heard on the radio today- a Barack campaign person said he will adress it some form.
I think he can say it in an assertive, but not angry way. And then go back to his topics.

His campaign put out a video on the Keating Five.

Some how between Barack calling him o n this and mentioning the K5--
hopefully McSame will "lose it" on camera!!! :crossedfingers: !!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #933
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
Va. GOP fears McCain could lose state - Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

I live in a targeted state, and a targeted region within the targeted state. Sometimes I feel like I'm just floating through my classes because I never think about them, but I somehow manage to go through the motions of doing assignments and taking exams, meanwhile my mind/energy are entirely focused on the election.

To think...November 5 this will all be over, and it's also my birthday. Less than a month...and it'll probably be the most insane month ever. Virginia will deliver for Obama.

I bet this is pretty surreal, U2dem!

Hopfully you'll get the Big birthday present you've been hoping for!!!

Keep Your Eyes on the Prize!!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #934
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:07 PM
I’ve noticed that the vast majority of undecided voters I’ve seen paneled or questioned are all about the issues, 98% personal financial issues (very much including healthcare). They’re also generally the ones that come across as the most worried. Those well entrenched already in either an Obama or McCain vote seem, while certainly worried about the immediate future, seem pretty confident in their respective candidates solutions. The undecided’s though seem clearly the closest to panicked. They’re not making a decision based on hopey dreamy Obama vs All American war hero McCain. They’re not buying into any of that. They want answers and detail and they seem really genuinely worried about making the wrong decision.

That to me suggests that McCain spending the last few weeks on a character attack campaign would be a truly fatal mistake. If Obama keeps it cool and continues to intelligently and informatively work through the issues while McCain simply plays it like one of those old heckler guys from the Muppet Show, he’ll get absolutely steamrolled. To me, it would be a monumentally stupid decision on his part. It might have worked in April if this election were taking place in May, but not under the current climate. Everyone will be paying attention to the guy on stage and what he’s saying, not the guy throwing rotten fruit at him from the cheap seats. They surely can’t be that stupid as to not see this?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #935
ONE
love, blood, life

This is going to get ugly. All hope at issues over the next month are diminishing.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #936
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think Palin is going to get real ugly. She’ll play up to the extreme end of the anti-Obama sentiment on the right. Suggestive on faith, suggestive on background etc. Not really saying anything out and open, but totally dog whistling the “He’s really a Muslim/Marxist stooge/anti-American” type of extreme stupidity that is definitely out there in droves on the right. Lord knows what McCain is going to do from day to day. Can anyone guess? I’m half expecting him to switch to Richard Branson type stunts any day now. Drive through Times Square in a tank, surrounded by Palin lookalike bikini models or something. Parachute into the middle of an Obama rally and start a water fight. Silly things.

I just really hope Obama stays above any ugliness. He’s done well so far to stay mostly above, all the way through the primaries and this campaign. Would be a real shame for him to stoop to the Republican level so late, and I really don’t think he needs to or should. Would be a mistake as I said above. Stay on message and on the issues, it’s certainly what people are listening for. The voters that will make a difference couldn’t give a fuck whether his middle name is Hussein or not.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #937
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Real clear projection -

Obama/Biden 364 McCain/Palin 174

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

I think this is the best Obama can do, he may still get 11 more (Indiana)

to make it Obama/Biden 375 McCain/Palin 163

which means he can not do as well as
Clinton/Gore 379 Dole/Kemp 159,
Reagan/Bush 489 Carter/Mondale 49, or
Nixon/Agnew 520 McGovern/Shriver 17

too bad we didn't get a Clinton on the ticket.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #938
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
This is going to get ugly. All hope at issues over the next month are diminishing.

Yeah, and your candidate is the one starting it, or I should say, your candidate and his pit bull soccer mom.
-First she calls him hanging out with terrorists and suggests a racial problem
-then he comes out and call Obama a liar for no reason, but saying "We don't know anything about him..." blah blah.

All BS and they know it and they're doing it because they're desperate.
Good, keep it up. "Let you hatred flow throw you; anger, come to the dark side".......
Old 10-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #939
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Yeah, and your candidate is the one starting it, or I should say, your candidate and his pit bull soccer mom.
-then he comes out and call Obama a liar for no reason, but saying "We don't know anything about him..." blah blah.

Good, keep it up. "Let you hatred flow throw you; anger, come to the dark side".......
dread is voting for Obama....
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #940
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

In all fairness, Dreadsox has said repeatedly that he thinks McCain is nuts(or something like that) and that he will be voting for Obama.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #941
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Quote:
In all fairness
So people that say they are voting for Obama have a right to bitch about the campaign?

The Obama camp have been using the term McSame or Bush 3 for months now.

That is less than honest.
So McCain gets ugly after much ugliness thrown at him.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #942
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
So people that say they are voting for Obama have a right to bitch about the campaign?

I've never heard anyone from the Obama campaign refer to McCain as McSame. They've said he will be more of the same policies. The only thing ugly about it is the fact that it's the ugly truth. All one has to do is look at McCain's voting record to know that. He will absolutely be a third term of Bush following the same disastrous policies of deregulation in the financial, education, energy, and health care industries, the lack of coherent plan to get our troops out of Iraq, the desire and push to privatize Social Security, the slashing of the social programs that will help poor and increasingly struggling middle class Americans get through the economic crisis brought on by John McCain's support of policies of less regulations, the continuation of being in bed with oil while our environment suffers without alternative fuel and green energy, and the list goes on. John McCain is W with a maverick mask. If Americans can't see that, there's no hope for us.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #943
Blue Crack Addict

If McCain didn't want to be compared to Bush then he shouldn't have crawled so far up Bush's ass that he's coming out of his mouth.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #944
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
Quote:
In all fairness

Context...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #945
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

How is that ugly? Bush is a Republican, one McCain has supported very consitently... Shouldn't it be a compliment?