US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #466
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 AM
^Is there any info. out yet on that clause that would give Paulson free reign to do whatever he wants without being reviewed by law enforcement or government? If so, I'm still very uncomfortable with this plan.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #467
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:01 AM
Sounds like it.
Quote:
Reuters, Sep. 25

Schumer said a key feature of the lawmakers' agreement was the establishment of tougher oversight of the Treasury Department than had been proposed by the Bush administration. "The Treasury secretary no longer has unlimited power," he said. "There's two independent boards, one to gather all information that has congressional representatives on it, the other with power to undo what the Treasury Secretary has done."
(Neither McCain nor Obama were present at the negotiations that produced the agreement in principle.)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #468
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Sounds like it.
That's good to hear. I'm glad to hear they didn't back down like they did with the Patriot Act and the Iraq invasion. The last thing we need is a blind dash to another disaster.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #469
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:01 AM
thank goodness. it's clear that McCain’s substantive input was so vitally necessary that he had to cancel his campaign.

i guess he needed time to read Paulson's plan, which he hadn't done as of two days ago.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #470
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
thank goodness. it's clear that McCain’s substantive input was so vitally necessary that he had to cancel his campaign.

i guess he needed time to read Paulson's plan, which he hadn't done as of two days ago.
Well, 3 pages is a LOT of reading.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier

I blame Letterman. He was doing his little television show when he should have been taking McCain to the airport.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #472
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:01 PM
But McCain took a wrong turn and ended up at Couric's desk!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Well, 3 pages is a LOT of reading.
In Bush terms it's equivalent to 'War and Peace'.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #474
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:01 AM
I don't know if any of you have seen this. But here Jack Cafferty is asking if the financial crisis has changed anybody's mind on who they're voting for:

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Has the financial crisis changed your mind on who to vote for? - Blogs from CNN.com

Look at the comments section. I cannot see one person saying they're supporting McCain/Palin. Granted, the subject is economy and Dems have a stronger hold there? And CNN is mostly frequented by liberals I guess (that's what I infer from results to quick polls and such) but still.... not one person speaking up for Republicans! I'm dumbfounded as to how countrywide polls so far are still close. Is it that Republican supporters just don't speak up much? Reading thru that comments section, it looks like it will be a landslide victory for Obama but opinion polls paint a totally different picture.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #475
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Do the same on fox.com, and you have a whole different picture.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #476
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
If Katie Couric is a serious journalist, than I'm the Queen of England. Come on, if Palin couldn't handle the Nerf-coated questions that Couric threw at her, imagine what she would've been like under Williams or Brokaw. If Tim Russert was around, she wouldn't stand a chance.

here, here to that... candy coated questions and she gaffed.. Tim would of chewed her up and spit her out if were still here.. I really miss that guy! I can't wait for this supposed debate cuz she is not gonna do well and I am going to enjoy every minute of it.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #477
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
McCain Stops at Senate en Route to White House

Updated 4:19 p.m.
By Michael D. Shear and Lori Montgomery

Sen. John McCain returned to Washington on Thursday after declaring that he has suspended his campaign, but he appeared largely detached from the flurry of negotiations on a $700 billion economic rescue package that appeared to be headed to a successful conclusion.

McCain's "Straight Talk Air" landed at National Airport just after noon, and McCain's motorcade sped toward the Senate. But by then, senior Democrats and Republicans were already announcing that a deal in principle had been reached.

That news appeared to be somewhat premature as House Republican leader John Boehner told his members that "no deal" had yet been reached. McCain arrived at 3:40 p.m. at the White House, where he and his rival, Sen. Barack Obama, were scheduled to meet with President Bush and congressional leaders at 4 p.m.

The leading Democratic negotiator on the Bush administration's $700 bailout plan accused John McCain of undermining the proposal and prodding House Republicans to lay out a wholly different approach that is opposed by the White House.

"This is the presidential campaign of John McCain undermining what Hank Paulson tells us is essential for the country," said Democratic Rep. Barney Frank, (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. "This is McCain at the last minute getting House Republicans to undermine the Paulson approach."

Republican leadership aides reacted incredulously to Frank's broadside, saying there was no way McCain's chief economic adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin, could undermine a deal with House Republicans that has never had rank-and-file support.

Holtz-Eakin met this morning with Boehner, House Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and House Republican Conference Chairman Adam Putnam (R-Fla.), but the GOP leaders did virtually all of the talking, and what they told him was how little support the $700 billion package had with their rank-and-file. When McCain emerged from the back door of Boehner's office in the Capitol, both Holtz-Eakin and Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), a key McCain ally, said they knew very little about the deal.

GOP aides familiar with the alternative proposal said that it had been in a draft stage for several days, with one adviser saying the lawmakers wanted to unveil it yesterday, but that McCain's entree into the deliberations actually made them wait a day.

The White House meeting was in part the result of McCain's stunning pronouncement Wednesday that he would stop campaigning to return to Washington, where he had urged Bush to convene a summit to address the crisis.

But for most of the afternoon, McCain has not visibly been part of the action on the issue. He was not present when House and Senate negotiators emerged from a two-hour meeting to declare success. That announcement was made by Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.), chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, Sen. Robert F. Bennett (Utah) and Frank.

McCain, by contrast, spent some time in his office with several Republican colleagues, briefly stopped at Boehner's office, then left for lunch at the Capitol's Mansfield Room before returning to his office in the Russell Senate Office Building.

Republican Rep. Spencer Bachus (Ala.) said he had spoken to McCain yesterday, had breakfast with two McCain advisers this morning and spoke to McCain again immediately after today's meeting. But, Bachus said, "John's not trying to call the shots for the House caucus, I can tell you that. He's just opposed to the plan in its present form."

Frank reacted angrily to Bachus's statements, insisting that lawmakers were well on their way toward an agreement they could put to a vote, and that this afternoon's meeting at the White House was largely irrelevent.

"We'll be glad to go and tell them there really isn't that much of a deadlock to break," Frank said. "But I'm always glad to go to the White House."
Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - O'Reilly Erupts at Right-Wing Radio Liars and Barney Frank!

Bill O'Reilly goes apeshit on talk radio, calling the hosts idiots, blasts right-wing "liars," and then unloads on Chris Dodd & Barney Frank.

He hurt Rush's feelings.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
McCain's "Straight Talk Air"
Just think of all the hot air the engines emit!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM   #480
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
YouTube - O'Reilly Erupts at Right-Wing Radio Liars and Barney Frank!

Bill O'Reilly goes apeshit on talk radio, calling the hosts idiots, blasts right-wing "liars," and then unloads on Chris Dodd & Barney Frank.

He hurt Rush's feelings.
I really hope there's an internet video feed of that studio.