US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9 - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 02:32 AM
The US Presidential election 2008 will be decided by the discussions in FYM. That would be great.

We could now stop discussing these non-issues here in FYM. Sadly, it doesn't seem the same discussions would stop in the public.
In my opinion, the current situation of political discourse is a product of shifts in politics itself and in shifts in the media, i.e. 24h news programs that normally would only have material for two hours since foreign issues don't matter anyways.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #197
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:32 AM
And political campaigns, especially presidential ones, increasingly becoming marketing campaigns, based on shaping perceptions and peddling consumer-friendly images.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 02:32 AM
I reckon a combination of the 24hr news + the length of it all.

I can’t believe how little media scrutiny your politicians get in general. I think it’s amazing that they can go hours, let alone days, let alone weeks, without having to answer spontaneous, direct questions, either as candidates or eventually as elected officials. In Australia, the Prime Minister gets hammered daily by the media, potentially several times a day. On top of that, like the British, we have parliamentary question time as well. It’s more staged and not as worthwhile as it sounds, but still, it is again a daily, very public questioning that all elected officials are subjected to. I truly find it staggering and I think you’d start electing quite different people. The clever soundbite for the 6pm news still rules, but you have to face up to so much more. Imagine if George Bush was having to answer to journalists a few times a day, every day, asking completely spontaneous questions from both favourable and hostile journalists, never able to avoid them, plus challenges from Democrats in the open, on national TV, regularly.
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #199
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I reckon a combination of the 24hr news + the length of it all.

I can’t believe how little media scrutiny your politicians get in general. I think it’s amazing that they can go hours, let alone days, let alone weeks, without having to answer spontaneous, direct questions, either as candidates or eventually as elected officials. In Australia, the Prime Minister gets hammered daily by the media, potentially several times a day. On top of that, like the British, we have parliamentary question time as well. It’s more staged and not as worthwhile as it sounds, but still, it is again a daily, very public questioning that all elected officials are subjected to. I truly find it staggering and I think you’d start electing quite different people. The clever soundbite for the 6pm news still rules, but you have to face up to so much more. Imagine if George Bush was having to answer to journalists a few times a day, every day, asking completely spontaneous questions from both favourable and hostile journalists, never able to avoid them, plus challenges from Democrats in the open, on national TV, regularly.
I've long wanted just such a change to our media/politician relationship in the US. Unfortunately I don't see it happening without a major overhaul of both the political atmosphere and the media attitude towards reporting. Overhaul may be too polite.

It would be nice to see politicians get used to actually answering (or at least trying to answer) tough questions on a regular basis.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Kind of like how all that screeching about BILLARY THE TWO-HEADED MONSTER!!!!! only further alienated Hillary supporters whose votes Obama badly needs?
I think I love you.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #201
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 2,451
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Kind of like how all that screeching about BILLARY THE TWO-HEADED MONSTER!!!!! only further alienated Hillary supporters whose votes Obama badly needs?

But it doesn't matter, because this ain't the MSM, and the general public doesn't know or give a shit what anyone in FYM says.
Kind of.

FYM is simply a small reflection of what is already being said in the mainstream media. Duh. The whole "Bush Doctrine" and "Bridge to Nowhere" nonsense are distractions. I'm betting not a heck of alot of average undecideds give two shits about either of these "issues" so I wish the media would just shut the hell up and explore other issues.

P.S. Have you Hillary fans noticed how she seems to have literally disappeared in the past couple of weeks and how Bill keeps giving Sarah Palin compliments on the talk shows??? The bitterness of Billary??????
__________________
Harry Vest is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
Duh.
.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #203
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

It would be nice to see politicians get used to actually answering (or at least trying to answer) tough questions on a regular basis.
It might be nice if we had a President that would go down to the well in Congress and take questions from the Congress once a week

like the PM does in Britain.

that way the President and Congress could both make their case before the American people and perhaps find some common ground.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post

P.S. Have you Hillary fans noticed how she seems to have literally disappeared in the past couple of weeks and how Bill keeps giving Sarah Palin compliments on the talk shows??? The bitterness of Billary??????

She was on CBS early show this morning praising Obama.

wcbstv.com - Sen. Clinton: 'No Doubt' Obama Will Win
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #205
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
I'm betting not a heck of alot of average undecideds give two shits about either of these "issues" so I wish the media would just shut the hell up and explore other issues.
Whaddya know, we agree. Good luck expecting the media to change though, especially so long as VP Nom Palin's public statements record remains so thin.

Try not watching TV or reading political blogs, works wonders for me.
Quote:
P.S. Have you Hillary fans noticed how she seems to have literally disappeared in the past couple of weeks and how Bill keeps giving Sarah Palin compliments on the talk shows??? The bitterness of Billary??????
I'm not and never have been a Hillary fan, if you had me in mind.

Pathbreaking-female-candidate-who-lost sounding off on pathbreaking-female-candidate-who-won-was-appointed would make for an uncomfortable and probably inherently exploitative spectacle, so I'm not expecting to hear much from her, really.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 02:32 AM
As long as ratings are stable the media won't care to change.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Naturally, liberals think the only gaffes that mean something are the ones their opponents make.

Not like conservatives who understand that gaffes are meaningless no matter who makes them.

Or is that they understand gaffes are an important indicator of a person's fitness for office regardless of the party affiliation of the person who makes gaffe?

Perhaps you could clarify which of these two is the reasonable point of view held exclusively by conservatives?
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:32 PM
I'm actually gonna side with deep on this one. . .at least to the extent that I think the issue of Palin not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is, is a bit overblown. And I think Biden's misstatement of historical facts is pretty glaring.

But in truth, I don't think either one of these things are that big a deal really. There are many reasons besides Palin's lack of knowledge of the Bush Doctrine to consider her an unwise choice for the Vice Presidency. And there are many reasons why Biden would make a good vice president despite his lack of knowledge of the historical facts of the Great Depression.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #209
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:



Boy Suspended for Wearing Anti-Obama T-Shirt to School
Last Edited: Tuesday, 23 Sep 2008

AURORA, Colorado -- An elementary school student in suburban Denver was suspended for wearing a T-shirt critical of Barack Obama.

The school in Aurora, Colorado had encouraged students to dress patriotically.

Fifth grader Daxx Dalton created something to wear by writing "Obama A Terrorist's Best Friend" on a white shirt.

But school officials told Dalton he couldn't wear the shirt.

He was given the choice of changing, turning the shirt inside out or being suspended. He chose suspension.

"They're taking my right of freedom of speech," he said. "If I have the right to wear this shirt, I'm going to use it and if the only way to use it is to get suspended then I'm going to get suspended."

Dan Dalton supports his son's decision.

"He was suspended simply because he refused to give up his First Amendment rights," he said.

The school district wouldn't comment specifically on Daxx's situation but released a statement that said in part "we respect students' rights to free speech such as the right to wear specific clothing."

School officials said they also review any situation that might disrupt the learning environment.

Daxx said he will wear the shirt again on election day.

His father said he may take the school district to court over the issue.

A shame that kids don't even have the right to free speech any more. (one way to look at this)


But the truth?

this kid is being brought up in a very unhealthy environment.

I hope he makes it to adulthood and gains the ability to think for himself.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #210
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,428
Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
A shame that kids don't even have the right to free speech any more. (one way to look at this)


But the truth?

this kid is being brought up in a very unhealthy environment.

I hope he makes it to adulthood and gains the ability to think for himself.
Kids being required to cede basic rights to the school isn't new. I think in loco parentis or some latin would make me sound more educated, if only I knew what it meant.

I do remember the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" SCOTUS case, and I disagreed with the ruling primarily because the banner wasn't on school property. But on school grounds I'm pretty sure they've always had the right to dictate dress code.
__________________

__________________
mobvok is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com