US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
diamond said:

When you insert the word "but" you lose your credibility with people. Most communication experts agree with this.

I like Deep, BUT his brother is cooler...

Yeah, you're right, no one would really believe me.:wink:

Hillary has a radio active personality, this is in fact is why many view her as having shrew like attributes.

The same people on the other side who recoil at Newt not because of his substance but because of his lofty meat headedness, don't have a melt down and schreech-

"Oh Reverse sexism, oh reverse sexism!"

Some political people have likeable personalities, and some don't.
It's that simple.

What's even more unfair for Newt is that he has a higher IQ than any candidate running now, but isn't likeable.

dbs

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I like Deep, BUT his brother is cooler...

Yeah, you're right, no one would really believe me.:wink:

deep=is calulative like Hillary.
<>= Jack Bauer like.

Who do you want watching your back?

dbs

martha said:

If you would stick to assessments like this which do not involve name-calling specific to gender, a lot more people would start to take you seriously.

i post to inject vigor on occassion.

:)

dbs

shrew- A woman with a violent, scolding, or nagging temperament; a scold.

As in "the taming of"

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun 1. shrew - a scolding nagging bad-tempered woman
termagant
disagreeable woman, unpleasant woman - a woman who is an unpleasant person
virago - a noisy or scolding or domineering woman
yenta - (Yiddish) a vulgar shrew; a shallow coarse termagant

"screech" reverse sexism?

When people start calling Newt a shrew we can talk. Apples and oranges..double standards.

Last edited:
twasn't that big of a deal to her, esp since she supposedly acts and thinks more like her male counterparts, correct?

dbs

You're digging yourself a hole here, dbs. Try and dance around it all you want, but when you show pics comparing her to a witch, call her a "shrew instead of a lady," you are being sexist. Period.

Martha's right, too. You'd have a lot more credibility around here if you left those kinds of comments and lame pictures out.

Who is having a "meltdown"? So melodramatic.

Show me a man with similar personality traits that Hillary has and show me you calling him the male equivalent of a shrew (is there such a word, hmmm) and posting witch pictures when referring to him and making other sexist comments about him. You are completely blind to the double standard you display here, as others have told you here-not just me. Until you can criticize Senator Clinton in a non-sexist way I'll continue to point it out.

ok fine.

im exhausted.

i hereby declare that from this point on

i'm not commenting on hill for the next *72 hrs.

unless she does something really stoopid.

ok, fine.

see u kids on Sunday.

g'bye

dbs

A new poll from the NBC and the Wall Street Journal finds that voters have problems voting for a candidate of McCain's age, apparently far more than object to supporting either an African American or female candidate. MSNBC's Norah O'Donnell previewed the poll earlier today (the full results will be announced later tonight):

O'DONNELL: Here's what the voters think according to a brand new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll released just this afternoon. 71% say Americans are ready to elect a woman as president, 20% say no. The results are nearly identical when voters were asked whether Americans were ready to elect an African-American as president. 72% said yes and 18% said no. We will have more on this NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll tonight.

We also asked about in that number about McCain's age and how many people want to elect someone his age. Less people want to elect someone McCain's age than want to elect an African-American or a woman. We're going to have more of those poll results. NBC Washington bureau chief Tim Russert will have more of those details on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and of course on Hardball tonight.

Well I guess now we have ageism too. I wonder what the specific concerns about his age are. Health issues? Mental faculties? If it was his 90 whatever year old mother running, that I could understand.

:huh:

I have never heard that

or have I ever seen it in any news story.

Obama will be 47 at election time.

Bill Clinton was 46

and JKK was 43

Obama does lack experience and that is a legitimate reason not to vote for him.

I do think he would be a better president than Rudy.

I guess Rudy was too young, too.

* Ulysses S. Grant was born April 27, 1822 and was 46 years old when he was elected.

Theodore Roosevelt was born Oct. 27, 1858 and was 42 years old when he was elected. The youngest U.S. President

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
If this poll were conducted 4 years ago, and Hillary and Barack were not in the picture, I wonder if those African American v. Female numbers would be any different.
From Gallup's archives--results on those questions from 1958 (African-American) and 1937 (female) through to 2003:

gallupafamkv3.jpg

gallupfemex3.jpg

Thanks for that Yolland :up:

They appear to be fairly even...so I wonder if the specific figures of Obama and Clinton in people's minds influenced the outcome of this recent poll.

Here's the full answer on that poll question from the new poll MrsS mentioned. Looks like it has some historical data too.

nbcwsjpollal5.jpg

Clearly, in this polling series, the answers have been consistently less optimistic than Gallup's. I think that may have as much to do with the way they asked the question ("Are voters ready to elect...?" vs. "Would you vote for...?") as it does with whether or not respondents had specific known candidates in mind.

Last edited:
Time is wondering if Al Gore couldn't step in and just take over, probably choose Obama as his VP, which is apparently what everyone actually wanted in the first place.

sounds great to me.

i also like the idea of Obama/Bloomberg.

i really do think Hillary's finished. her approval ratings are in the gutter. her only hope right now is to try to unseat McCain in 2012, and the way that she does that is by destroying Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom