US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:05 PM
To quote my bride the Obama supporter - this bothers her more after his wife's comments.

I think he is unelectable to this high an office.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:05 PM
I do not think you have to disagree with everything he says, but this man is not come from the cloth of Dr. King. And the message is EXACTLY what the republican machine will use to destroy this campaign.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I do not think you have to disagree with everything he says, but this man is not come from the cloth of Dr. King. And the message is EXACTLY what the republican machine will use to destroy this campaign.


i agree -- it would be smarter of Obama to distance himself from this guy. the Republican plan to "swift boat" Obama is to try to create some sort of revelation of him as some sort of unrepentant Black Panther radical who hates white people.

it's garbage, of course. but that is what they are going to try to do and scare away the blue collar whites who are still mildly racist in a non-specific sense.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
He could publish MoToons without being brought before the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.
FREE EZRA LEVANT!!
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
He could publish MoToons without being brought before the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.
FREE EZRA LEVANT!!
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 10:05 PM
I don't understand it either, Dreadsox.

If Obama was smart, he would appear and publicly, strongly denounce and reject Wright, and toss him out of the campaign. Hasn't Obama said that anyone who used negative, hateful language in the campaign would be asked to leave? He needs to live up to his own rule, otherwise this facade of running a new type of political campaign will continue to crumble.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,249
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




do you endorse the comments of Reverend Hagee?

Of course not.

Both Wright and Hagee have said terrible things and both candidates need to reject them.

That being said, there is a difference between the two. Hagee isn't McCain's pastor. Obama went searching for a church and pastor he felt comfortable with, and ended up embracing Mr. Wright. There are certainly (and rightfully so) more suspicions and questions regarding Obama's 20-year relationship with Wright than there are with a reverend with no previous ties to McCain who happens to support his candidacy.
__________________
2861U2 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




i agree -- it would be smarter of Obama to distance himself from this guy. the Republican plan to "swift boat" Obama is to try to create some sort of revelation of him as some sort of unrepentant Black Panther radical who hates white people.

it's garbage, of course. but that is what they are going to try to do and scare away the blue collar whites who are still mildly racist in a non-specific sense.
How are Republicans getting blamed in advance for politics-as-usual in a Democratic primary?????

Who gave "the picture" to the Drudge Report?
Who first made prominent mention of Obama's middle name? (Answer, Clinton backer Bob Kerrey, Dec 07)
Who's camp made remarks about cocaine usage?
Who linked Obama to "slumlords"?

And these current revelations as well, are either from Team Clinton or maybe, finally, a press corp doing a little more research and a little less fawning.
Not, I suspect, from the GOP, Swift Boat Veterans, or Karl Rove.

There will be plenty of time during the general election for the uttering of hackneyed Democratic canards & myths...so let's please wait until then.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2


Of course not.

Both Wright and Hagee have said terrible things and both candidates need to reject them.

That being said, there is a difference between the two. Hagee isn't McCain's pastor. Obama went searching for a church and pastor he felt comfortable with, and ended up embracing Mr. Wright. There are certainly (and rightfully so) more suspicions and questions regarding Obama's 20-year relationship with Wright than there are with a reverend with no previous ties to McCain who happens to support his candidacy.
Obama was married by pastor Wright.

In addition, Obama got the title of his book "The Audacity Of Hope" from one of his sermons.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #85
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,473
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500


How are Republicans getting blamed in advance for politics-as-usual in a Democratic primary?????



this is the line of attack that the Clintons have opened up. the Republicans will follow in the general if he is the nominee.





Quote:
There will be plenty of time during the general election for the uttering of hackneyed Democratic canards & myths...so let's please wait until then.

the Swift Boating was a myth?

one thing i envy about Republicans: the ability to use piety and unrepentant venom in the same sentence.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #86
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,654
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511



one thing i envy about Republicans: the ability to use piety and unrepentant venom in the same sentence.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




one thing i envy about Republicans: the ability to use piety and unrepentant venom in the same sentence.
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

the Swift Boating was a myth?


Quote:
the Republican plan to "swift boat" Obama
Of coarse you're using it in the future tense aren't you?

The mythology is that Democrats never lose presidential elections...they're stolen from them. By "October surprise" or "fear-mongering." By, absurdly, paper ballots one election and electronic voting the next. And now "swift boating," this unseen force that Republicans can apparently now tap into that will magically deliver them to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Tell me, does on click their heels and repeat "There's no place like the White House, there's no place like the White House" to make it work?
Quote:
one thing i envy about Republicans: the ability to use piety and unrepentant venom in the same sentence.
Quote:
Racism is alive and well. Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run. America is still the No. 1 killer in the world.

We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.

We do not care if poor black and brown children cannot read and kill each other senselessly. We abandoned the cities back in the '60s when the riots started and it really doesn't matter what those nations do to each other; we gave up on them and public education of poor people who live in the projects . . .”

We started the AIDS virus, and now that it is out of control, we still put more money in the military than in medicine; more money in hate than in humanitarian concerns. Everybody does not have access to healthcare, I don't care what the rich white boys in the Senate say. Listen up: If you are poor, black and elderly, forget it.”

We are only able to maintain our level of living by making sure that Third World people live in grinding poverty.

We are selfish, self-centered egotists who are arrogant and ignorant and betray our church and do not try to make the kingdom that Jesus talked about a reality. And — and — and in light of these 10 facts, God has got to be sick of this shit.”
--The Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr (who I'm guessing is not Republican)
Jan. 15, 2006

This is unrepentant venomous piety (delivered in a chapel no less) -- not my subtle reference to empty election year Democratic mantras.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,654
Local Time: 09:05 PM
With the exception of the "we started the AIDS virus", I don't disagree with a lot of what he's saying. I disagree with his approach, just like I disagree with any "us vs them" type of mentality. Twist a few words around and it could easily sound very Repbublican like. All sides have extremists, let's distance ourselves from them.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
With the exception of the "we started the AIDS virus", I don't disagree with a lot of what he's saying. I disagree with his approach, just like I disagree with any "us vs them" type of mentality. Twist a few words around and it could easily sound very Repbublican like. All sides have extremists, let's distance ourselves from them.
BVS, respectably, maybe that's why we disagree so much. Most Americans think this is all garbage and harmful. Admittedly, I highlighted the most inflammatory lines, but only the far-left -- not Democrats or liberals mind you-- but the far-left, find any of this acceptable.

If Barack Obama allows himself to be associated with this...he's done. Not because he's black, not because he's liberal, but because few American's believe this type of hateful far-left anti-American rhetoric. They don't believe their country is racist or uncaring about the world's poor. Just as they don't believe GWB is a war criminal, our CIA ruthless torturers or our troops a bunch of sadistic puppy killers.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com