US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment - Page 58 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #856
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:48 PM
So let the process work itself through

let Howard Dean and the super dels

pick Obama as the nominee

let Obama pick a white male with some gravitas as his V P


and then let's watch the Clinton machine go to work and get him elected



Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I do think that with Obama as the nominee, Hillary and Bill will sincerely campaign for him.

Much more and more believable than McCain for bush in 2000 or even 2004
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #857
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 09:48 PM
the Republicans must be so sad.

they won't have the Clintons to kick them around anymore.

__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #858
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the Republicans must be so sad.

they won't have the Clintons to kick them around anymore.
sad:
Obama will appoint a non-Catholic, non-male to the supreme court

a Senator from N Y

and an ex-President will be appointed to replace her.

Limbaugh and the GOP will lose what little of their minds that have left.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #859
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 30,150
Local Time: 02:48 AM
Ian Collins on Talk Sport in the UK (a few months ago actually)said that the democratic candidate is very far right of any Labour candidate in the UK - is that true? So depressing if it is!

It was as if he was stating the fact that the USA is a VERY conservative country in comparison to the UK!
__________________
susanp6 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #860
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:48 PM
I am not all that familar with British politics

but, I can say the Democrats plan for Healthcare is very right of Labor's concept
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #861
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 30,150
Local Time: 02:48 AM
Not good then eh? do the have 'any' compassion for poor people over there? terrible if not!


I'm glad i live in Scotland if that's true!!!!
__________________
susanp6 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #862
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 03:48 AM
It's basically the case with any European country in comparison to the US that what is considered left in the US still would fall under the category of right politics here.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #863
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


Obama will appoint a non-Catholic, non-male to the supreme court

a Senator from N Y


this may well be in the cards, i agree.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #864
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
Not good then eh? do the have 'any' compassion for poor people over there? terrible if not!


I'm glad i live in Scotland if that's true!!!!



i love Europe. i've been all over, and i've spent well more than a month in Scotland.

but we are talking about two different cultures who do have different -- compatible, shared, but still different -- values.

some of what is "left" and "right" aren't all that applicable, and the US has concerns that European nations don't, and vice versa.

there are 300m people who live over here. it's an insanely complex society, and the worst thing to try and understand it via soundbytes from across an ocean.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #865
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this may well be in the cards, i agree.
Obama in the Whitehouse
Hillary on the SC
Bill in the Senate

tri-fec-ta

whatever brain cells
the GOP have left would explode
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #866
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


Obama in the Whitehouse
Hillary on the SC
Bill in the Senate

tri-fec-ta

whatever brain cells
the GOP have left would explode


as fun a scenario as this would be,

i still can't applaud nepotism in any shape or form

nor dynasties.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #867
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

as fun a scenario as this would be,

i still can't applaud nepotism in any shape or form

nor dynasties.
nepotism

don't fall into that trap

Hillary may or may not be qualified to be on the court

she certainly is no worse than a few who are on there now

I think she is better qualified than that Harriet Miers that Bush nominated

I do think that Hillary has proven that she is qualified to have her own political career and earned her re election to the Senate by her own deeds

she has been more successful as a Presidential candidate when she has separated herself from Bill and made her own case

I don't think it is likely she will be appointed to the court

But, if she left the Senate?
I do think the people of N Y and the Country would be well served by having Bill Clinton with all his skills and intelligence serve in the Senate.

The tri-fec-ta ?

was just amusing to me.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #868
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,426
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
a Senator from N Y

and an ex-President will be appointed to replace her.
well at least in this scenario we'd finally have a qualified person in our senate seat... maybe one that will actually do something for, ya know, new york.

but, alas, i wouldn't hold my breath... hillary seems determined to press on. it's sad, really.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #869
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i love Europe. i've been all over, and i've spent well more than a month in Scotland.

but we are talking about two different cultures who do have different -- compatible, shared, but still different -- values.

some of what is "left" and "right" aren't all that applicable, and the US has concerns that European nations don't, and vice versa.

there are 300m people who live over here. it's an insanely complex society, and the worst thing to try and understand it via soundbytes from across an ocean.
I agree. I find it's quite difficult to compare U.S. and U.K./European politics directly, because we are talking about differences in cultures, traditions, and forms of government. Multiparty parliamentary democracy most certainly has a different political dynamic than a two-party representative democracy with fixed election cycles. We have also seen, for instance, that even "liberal" nations like France can still have fairly paralyzing issues about race that rival those historically found in the U.S.

Even so, I'm not about to call our system "perfect," let alone wholly functional right now. There's quite a bit of nonsense going on here that makes me jealous when I realize that even the U.K. Conservative Party is considerably further to the left on issues of gay rights than the U.S. Democratic Party.
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #870
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I think she is better qualified than that Harriet Miers that Bush nominated



well, yes, but is this really going to be our standard? i guess Bush really has lowered the bar for just about everything, and we're thrilled when government rises above the level of incompetence.




Quote:
I do think that Hillary has proven that she is qualified to have her own political career and earned her re election to the Senate by her own deeds


i do agree.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com