US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been puzzled by her comments, too, and trying to understand what she meant. There is no evidence in her long career that she's racist so I kept thinking somehow she's being misunderstood, or more accurately, she botched what she was trying to say but if that's the case, why doesn't she just say that she didn't make herself clear and restate it so that she cannot be misunderstood instead of so stubbornly standing by her comments? It's just unfortunate that she hasn't been on anyone's radar in years and now she comes out with this, which is going to be remembered for a long time.

Anyway, I came across this article this morning (never heard of its author) but it sounds reasonable--I don't know though. :shrug: I'm posting an excerpt but you can read the whole article here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carlotta-cooper/is-geraldine-ferraro-righ_b_91253.html?view=print

Personally, I think Senator Obama might be in the same position today whether he were black or white. He has a John Kennedy-Abe Lincoln quality about him, a charisma and oratorical style that make him an excellent candidate. He has the education and the background to run for president. His campaign seems to have been run effectively and efficiently. Whether I agree with his positions or think he would make the best president is another matter, but I think he is undoubtedly a highly successful candidate. No doubt Geraldine Ferraro does, too. She said he has the kind of campaign it would be hard for anyone to run against. She also says that the black community has enthusiastically rallied around Senator Obama, not just for these obvious talents and abilities, but because they are excited by the prospect of a successful black Democratic nominee for president. And she cites exit polling that shows Obama taking as much as 80 percent of the black vote in some primaries.

I ask you: can you deny that what she says is true? Is it racist for her to point our that, in addition to his other great attributes, he has the support of the black community? I'm not saying that he is only supported because he is an African-American candidate. But he is a very well-qualified candidate who happens to be African-American and there are many in the black community who are excited about his campaign.

I do not agree with Rep. Ferraro when she says that Senator Obama wouldn't be where he is today if he were white IF by that she means that he couldn't have become a successful candidate. However, if she means that he might not enjoy as much support from the black community if he were white, then, yes, I agree, that is probably true.

Is he "lucky" in the sense that he has the attributes of being young, good-looking, intelligent, well-educated, and a gifted speaker? Yes. When you add to those qualities the fact that he has a special appeal to many in the black community, I don't think it's difficult to see why Rep. Ferraro called him "lucky."

For anyone to suggest that the Clinton campaign somehow stoked this fire and put Rep. Ferraro up to making these controversial comments, such an idea qualifies as Byzantine without brains. There was nothing to be gained from such a gambit and much to be lost. Why would the Clinton campaign want to risk alienating black voters when it needs them? Does anyone think they wake up in the morning and say, "Today we should try to lose some votes!" Does anyone think they need to call attention to the fact that Senator Obama is black? That's about as necessary as pointing out that Senator Clinton is female. In general, things that lead to supporters resigning are not good, so this was probably not something that was planned, for you conspiracy theorists out there.

I do not think that people should vote for someone because of their skin color. I do not think that people should vote for Hillary Clinton because she's a woman. I think people should vote for the person they believe is best qualified to be president regardless of these things. But this campaign has undeniably elicited charged emotions on all sides when it comes to gender and race. I do think that too much has been made of Rep. Ferraro's remarks and that some people have either intentionally misunderstood them for their own purposes -- or there are some people who need to drink a lot less caffeine on the campaign trail.

All I have to say is I'm not happy with any of the candidates. And I'm not happy with Bush. The coming years are looking bleak for me.

shart1780 said:
All I have to say is I'm not happy with any of the candidates. And I'm not happy with Bush. The coming years are looking bleak for me.

Bleak?
You live in the freest, strongest, most prosperous country in the history of human civilization and that's not going to change under George Bush, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

INDY500 said:

Bleak?
You live in the freest, strongest, most prosperous country in the history of human civilization and that's not going to change under George Bush, Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

McCain? :hmm:

:wink:

INDY500 said:

Bleak?
You live in the freest, strongest, most prosperous country in the history of human civilization

How are you more free than I am?

anitram said:

How are you more free than I am?

we have unlimited choices of which dr. we can choose for our healthcare, do most of your countrymen have this same privilege? or do they have to wait 3-4 weeks for a dr. appointed by govermental agency and often times wind up with a quack ?

we have bigger football fields too and laugh at quarterbacks such as doug flutie who play arena football.
:)

dbs

Last edited:
diamond said:
we have unlimited choices of which dr. we can choose for our healthcare, do most of your countrymen have this same privilege? or do they have to wait 3-4 weeks for a dr. appointed by govermental agency and often times wind up with a quack ?

And gosh, how nice for the people here in the US that they can choose whatever doctor they'd like .... oops, too bad for those who can't afford insurance or even a doctor visit. Sucks to be them.

At least they're sick and uninsured in the greatest, freest nation ever!

Well how come all the rich Canadians come to the USA when looking for the best healthcare?:sexywink:

It's a known fact.

dbs

Politico points out that Wright actually holds a formal position with Obama's campaign:

Wright is a member of Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee -- the sort of largely honorary, advisory body that in recent days has recently been used mostly to throw people off who say controversial things.

The Obama campaign couldn't immediately say whether he'd remain on the committee.

abcnews.com

Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11

By BRIAN ROSS and REHAB EL-BURI

March 13, 2008—

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years at the Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's south side, has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism."

In a campaign appearance earlier this month, Sen. Obama said, "I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial." He said Rev. Wright "is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with," telling a Jewish group that everyone has someone like that in their family.

Rev. Wright married Obama and his wife Michelle, baptized their two daughters and is credited by Obama for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

In addition to damning America, he told his congregation on the Sunday after Sept. 11, 2001 that the United States had brought on al Qaeda's attacks because of its own terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.

Sen. Obama told the New York Times he was not at the church on the day of Rev. Wright's 9/11 sermon. "The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification," Obama said in a recent interview. "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative," Obama told the paper.

Rev. Wright, who announced his retirement last month, has built a large and loyal following at his church with his mesmerizing sermons, mixing traditional spiritual content and his views on contemporary issues.

"I wouldn't call it radical. I call it being black in America," said one congregation member outside the church last Sunday.

"He has impacted the life of Barack Obama so much so that he wants to portray that feeling he got from Rev. Wright onto the country because we all need something positive," said another member of the congregation.

Rev. Wright, who declined to be interviewed by ABC News, is considered one of the country's 10 most influential black pastors, according to members of the Obama campaign.

Obama has praised at least one aspect of Rev. Wright's approach, referring to his "social gospel" and his focus on Africa, "and I agree with him on that."

Sen. Obama declined to comment on Rev. Wright's denunciations of the United States, but a campaign religious adviser, Shaun Casey, appearing on "Good Morning America" Thursday, said Obama "had repudiated" those comments.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees. But now that he is retired, that doesn't detract from Sen. Obama's affection for Rev. Wright or his appreciation for the good works he has done."

MrsSpringsteen said:
Politico points out that Wright actually holds a formal position with Obama's campaign:

Wright is a member of Obama's African American Religious Leadership Committee -- the sort of largely honorary, advisory body that in recent days has recently been used mostly to throw people off who say controversial things.

The Obama campaign couldn't immediately say whether he'd remain on the committee.

abcnews.com

Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11

By BRIAN ROSS and REHAB EL-BURI

March 13, 2008—

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years at the Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's south side, has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism."

In a campaign appearance earlier this month, Sen. Obama said, "I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial." He said Rev. Wright "is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with," telling a Jewish group that everyone has someone like that in their family.

Rev. Wright married Obama and his wife Michelle, baptized their two daughters and is credited by Obama for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

In addition to damning America, he told his congregation on the Sunday after Sept. 11, 2001 that the United States had brought on al Qaeda's attacks because of its own terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.

Sen. Obama told the New York Times he was not at the church on the day of Rev. Wright's 9/11 sermon. "The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification," Obama said in a recent interview. "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative," Obama told the paper.

Rev. Wright, who announced his retirement last month, has built a large and loyal following at his church with his mesmerizing sermons, mixing traditional spiritual content and his views on contemporary issues.

"I wouldn't call it radical. I call it being black in America," said one congregation member outside the church last Sunday.

"He has impacted the life of Barack Obama so much so that he wants to portray that feeling he got from Rev. Wright onto the country because we all need something positive," said another member of the congregation.

Rev. Wright, who declined to be interviewed by ABC News, is considered one of the country's 10 most influential black pastors, according to members of the Obama campaign.

Obama has praised at least one aspect of Rev. Wright's approach, referring to his "social gospel" and his focus on Africa, "and I agree with him on that."

Sen. Obama declined to comment on Rev. Wright's denunciations of the United States, but a campaign religious adviser, Shaun Casey, appearing on "Good Morning America" Thursday, said Obama "had repudiated" those comments.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees. But now that he is retired, that doesn't detract from Sen. Obama's affection for Rev. Wright or his appreciation for the good works he has done."

That pastor is despicable, and Mr. Obama has some serious explaining to do. I hope he gets hammered hard about this, but I doubt he will be. I don't understand why Obama went to that church for 20 years listening to this kind of hate and racism. Obama says he looked around for a long time to find the right church, and this is the best he could get? He thinks its ok to bring his daughters to listen to this hate? Do "god damn" and "******" really belong in a church?

Last edited:
While I generally like Obama, it's a pity that some of his advisors are always playing the race card.

2861U2 said:

That pastor is despicable, and Mr. Obama has some serious explaining to do. I hope he gets hammered hard about this, but I doubt he will be. I don't understand why Obama went to that church for 20 years listening to this kind of hate and racism. Obama says he looked around for a long time to find the right church, and this is the best he could get? He thinks its ok to bring his daughters to listen to this hate? Do "god damn" and "******" really belong in a church?

While I was driving today
I did tune in to

E I B

excellence in broadcasting :wink:

and it looks like you got down the

talking points

exacto!

mucho dittos

deep said:

While I was driving today
I did tune in to

E I B

excellence in broadcasting :wink:

and it looks like you got down the

talking points

exacto!

mucho dittos

You are correct :wink: :up:

This Pastor and his connection to Senator Obama has been well known for quite a while now-so why did it take so long for any network to investigate it? I don't agree with everything my Pastor (and my church) says, but I'm not running for President-so I think to dismiss it as being like an old uncle is naive. And now we know he's not just his Pastor, he has a formal role with his campaign.

Since Obama has no experience, he's been running on how he has good judgment, right? Well is he really showing good judgment by continuing to go to this church and seeking the guidance of this Wright guy? Is he really showing good judgment by allowing his little girls to be subject to "America is evil" and "God damn America" and how we deserved 9/11?

I think not.

:tsk:

Um...so then I'm the only one who thinks that Wright isn't so bad? I'm not into going around damning America but there is truth in what he says. I actually trust Obama's take on this. Obama's been going to that church for 20 years and he and Michelle didn't turn out so bad, did they? And have we seen members of his congregation gone wild hatin' on America out there? :shrug:

corianderstem said:

And gosh, how nice for the people here in the US that they can choose whatever doctor they'd like ....

People in Canada can CHOOSE THEIR OWN DOCTOR. What the hell is diamond talking about??

A_Wanderer said:
He could publish MoToons without being brought before the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.

And how does Alberta provincial law apply to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom