US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a about a certain candidate who happens to be a woman, and she's not well liked universally speaking when comparing her to the other candidates.

dbs

Yes all the men running are so likable and warmly fuzzy. Rainbows and kittens and babies' bottoms and all that
icon35.gif

I was looking at the numbers; not at the sex of the candidate-apparently some people are hypersensitive to women's issues.

dbs

Well, I'm pretty sure she was talking about the numbers too. Specifically, the ones about gender.

A lot of people simply don't like Hillary. Her approval numbers were shit when she was the first lady which is unheard of.

MaxFisher said:
A lot of people simply don't like Hillary. Her approval numbers were shit when she was the first lady which is unheard of.

it's because she didn't stay home and bake cookies.

or pop pills, as the case may be.

040605_nancy_reagan_hmed.h2.jpg

but in all seriousness, Hillary DOES have a likability problem, and though i don't really understand it, it is real. and it's something they've got to deal with.

Well, I think all of the GOP candidates are waaaaaaaay past unelectable.

What makes you think she's so unelectable.

phillyfan26 said:
Well, I think all of the GOP candidates are waaaaaaaay past unelectable.

Riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

What makes you think Republicans are unelectable? I havent seen any evidence of this. May I inform you of Clinton's declining poll numbers and a new poll out showing her at 49% and Rudy at 48.

phillyfan26 said:
What makes you think she's so unelectable.

Hillary is going to have to work very hard if she wants to win the White House. I can't imagine anyone with about 50% unfavorable rating winning an election. That has never, ever been seen before. And the campaign has just begun. Assuming she's the nominee, only more dirt is going to appear. The inevitability is gone. Personally, I don't think it was ever there to begin with.

I don't think Hillary is electable because I think she would more likely drive out GOP voters than Dem voters, and she would also motivate the GOP more than any of the Republican candidates would. I'm afraid more people would turn out to vote against her than for her.

The way I see it:

Electable?

(R)

Romney - No, I do think his religion will be a factor.

Giuliani - I think this guy has a lot of skeletons in his closet, if those come out, he's toast.

McCain- Maybe, he's kind of sold out, that will turn some off and turn some on.

Huckabee - No, I don't think this country is ready for back to back idiots.

Paul - Not a chance in hell, his own party doesn't even recognise him.

(D)

Clinton - I do think being female is a problem for her, but still electable.

Obama - Yes, even though there is still a lot of racism still in this country, I don't think they will turn out enough to vote against him.

Edwards - Yeah, but he seems to have disappeared.

Kucinich - No, I like the guy, but he's just too liberal for most.

Last edited:
Here's something I've been wondering for a while now. Recently, I've seen people in here (probably BVS) criticize the current group of Republican candidates, calling them weak or whatever else attempting to deem them unqualified for the presidency. However, I think the exact same thing when I look at the Democratic candidates, especially Hillary.

Now I have a question for any Democrat in here, mainly anyone supporting Hillary: Out of all the Democratic politicians in the country (or at least those willing to run for president), how/why is Hillary Clinton the best fit? I will never know why people see her as a good, experienced, qualified candidate. What makes the Democratic party completely satisfied with an ex-first lady, 6-year Senator being their nominee? Is that really the best they can do?

It just confuses me when people here call McCain or Romney or Thompson unfit for the job when their preferred alternative is Hillary Clinton. And I'm not talking about issues or specific beliefs. I'm solely talking about experience and qualification to be commander-in-chief.

It makes no sense. What has she done? :confused:

ETA: In other words, what makes you look at her (as opposed to anyone else, on either side) and say "Oh man, she's absolutely qualified to be president." I know there's a ton of people supporting her because she's a woman and/or because she's a Clinton, but is that really a majority of her support? If so, that's very, very sad.

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Now I have a question for any Democrat in here, mainly anyone supporting Hillary: Out of all the Democratic politicians in the country (or at least those willing to run for president), how/why is Hillary Clinton the best fit? I will never know why people see her as a good, experienced, qualified candidate. What makes the Democratic party completely satisfied with an ex-first lady, 6-year Senator being their nominee? Is that really the best they can do?

It just confuses me when people here call McCain or Romney or Thompson unfit for the job when their preferred alternative is Hillary Clinton. And I'm not talking about issues or specific beliefs. I'm solely talking about experience and qualification to be commander-in-chief.

It makes no sense. What has she done? :confused:

Thompson? You really have to ask that. What the hell has Thompson done?

Romney?

2861U2 said:

I know there's a ton of people supporting her because she's a woman and/or because she's a Clinton, but is that really a majority of her support? If so, that's very, very sad.

Just like there are a lot that support Obama because he's black? Or like a lot will support Romeny because he's mormon? Like there are a lot that support Huck because he's a minister?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Just like there are a lot that support Obama because he's black? Or like a lot will support Romeny because he's mormon? Like there are a lot that support Huck because he's a minister?

Yes, all of those reasons for voting for someone are unacceptable, to me.

Well I'm sure there are those that support those people for those reasons. You can't really stop them. Just like I think people voting for a president based on their religion, which many of you do, is completely unacceptable.

But I really don't think there are "ton" that support her just because she's a woman or a Clinton.

2861U2 said:
Riiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

What makes you think Republicans are unelectable? I havent seen any evidence of this. May I inform you of Clinton's declining poll numbers and a new poll out showing her at 49% and Rudy at 48.

I was talking about as an opinion, as I assumed Diamond has been inferring.

From what you are saying ... I tend to agree. It's the unfortunate truth. None of these GOP candidates even come close to being electable in my book, similar to the Dems of '04. Each one of them has a scary aspect to them, except for McCain and Paul. And neither of them have really any shot, from what it seems.

phillyfan26 said:
Well, I'm pretty sure she was talking about the numbers too. Specifically, the ones about gender.

Yes, but he just wants to call me a "hypersensitive" woman. It's the way, you know?

Hillary has "kooties" now? I didn't know that, when was she diagnosed? Is that the same as cooties?

This week the CBS EVENING NEWS continues its series 'Primary Questions' where Katie Couric sits down with the presidential candidates and asks what makes them tick... everything from losing their tempers to the biggest mistake they've ever made. Wednesday night they tackle the issue of infidelity!

KATIE COURIC:

Harry Truman once said, "A man not honorable in his marital relations is not usually honorable in any other." Some voters say they don't feel comfortable supporting someone who's not remained faithful to his or her spouse. Can you understand or appreciate their point of view?

candidates answer the question here

there are some good answers and bad answers

If I were grading, one would get an A

and one would get an F

and the rest - somewhere in between.

Well, for one, Katie Couric can't interview.

But, I'll have to take a look. Although, Rudy Giuliani's response is about 85 on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom